//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Tecate CDI Recreation - For Sale

--
    Creating a 2nd schematic. After this, I'm moving on to try a new idea. Replace the components on the CDI with new parts and see if it sparks.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    here's my 2nd take on the schematic. It is the same as the first electrically. I found a data sheet for the 3s4m. The diodes read "T303" the 2nd 3 is small.

No idea on the zener diode yet. Its time to replace components on the original board and see if I get spark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stator test - 3 working.jpg  
    Last edited by RubberSalt; 06-12-2019 at 08:03 PM.
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    Gabriel....

You get this figured out and I'll bet I can have a custom aluminum box fabricated to fit.
    "You should never smoke in pajamas..
    You might start a fire and burn your face..
    Maybe you should return to Manaugua..
    You could go un-noticed in such a place"

FZ

Ass,gas or grass....nobody rides for free!

Ride free,Brotha. See you in Heaven.

--
    That would be cool. Plastic or metal should be fine.

Tonight, I'm soldering new components to the board to check for spark. After that, I'll replace the SCR then the thyristor(p115). If I can get spark I can swap parts until I don't.

After this, I'll be pulling the cdi apart provided by Maico. I'll need to double check the capacitors. I think my 1uf may need to be a 2.2uf. This can be augmentation d by using 2 uf caps and 2 100nf caps.

Future builds will simply use the right cap lol

--
    Spark!! :-D I took the original CDI I tore apart. I soldered new resistors and a zener diode rated for 5.1v on to it. I replaced the SCR with a bt151-500r. And i replaced all 3 caps. it sparks! :-D.

I'm going to swap out the p115 transistor scr thriac thyristor thingy tomorrow.

--
    WTF did you just say???

--
    I replaced a few 30 year old components with some brand new stuff. Spark!

Tonight, I'm to replace all the diodes with the new ones. I can't find the part numbers on the old diodes.. But some new ones should work just the same... I hope. They could some weird as ones deigned to have reverse current leakage

--
    All the diodes have been replaced. It acts the exact same... Means the diodes I select are compatible They are bigger than stock.

I am noticing 1 thing different that the OEM set up. Mine doesn't spark nearly as fast. I have to crank it over fast to get a single spark. It did this with the original scr and diodes. I want to blame this on the zener diode. It's the only part I don't have a number on. I'm guessing with a 5.1v.

The other thing could be the caps. It's possible I didn't get reliable measurements on them. Maico's CDI measures 2.2uf on the big cap. I'm running 1uf. >.<

I'm going to swap out the p115. I've got a handful of transistors to test.

Main point of all this.. CLOSE :-D

--
    P115 replacement test number 1. Fail.

This is with the replacement part used in the kx125 cdi from before. I've got 2 other ways it could fit..

Time to bring out the breadboard again. I'm glad I have been able to isolate it down to a tiny transistor.

Monday, I'm going to take it to our local electrical store place and see if they can figure it out. They have thousands of different parts in there and 75+ years of experience combined... Money says they won't know what it is lol
    Last edited by RubberSalt; 05-16-2015 at 06:24 PM.

--
    Are you building this on a new board, or the original one? I just looked at your schematic again, and if P115 is a transistor that is a very odd connection. The middle lead is usually the base, and the diagram shows it going straight to ground. If you're sure that the diagram is right, then I don't think P115 is a transistor. My guess wold be an SCR. But, voltage regulator chips sometimes look like SCR's. Is it rectangular, or "D" shaped like a small transistor?
    Last edited by YTZ drew; 05-17-2015 at 08:44 AM.
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1985 ATC250R

--
    Your correct ytz drew. I've replaced everything on the original board. With new parts. There should be pictures of everything if you want to check it out.

I've got a breadboard I've been playing with but had no puck. Mostly due to that p115.

Its D shapped.

--
    I'm looking at the data sheet for the EC103D3 I purchased. It looks like the pins may be different. I'll be playing around with this more after work today.
    EC103D3 is the replacement for the replacement on the kx125/250 cdi lol

--
    SPARRRRKKKK!!!!! :-D

I got spark using my breadboard and all 100%brand new parts. I had to swap the thingy around. YTZ Drew was correct.
    I also had a different zener diode in it. It provided spark closer to OEM. Much much closer. I'm redoing the schematic using the computer. It'll be accurate to what I have.
    Last edited by RubberSalt; 06-12-2019 at 08:04 PM.

--
    Within the week, I'll be pulling the cdi donated by Maico part. I want to double check all the capacitor values.

Anyone have a source on boxes that I can put the circuits in? I want these to be able to bolt up. I'd really like it if we could use the bolts to hold the cdi on as a ground. Eliminate 1 wire.

--
    Sounds like you are getting closer. Do you have access to a bike dyno ? That would be the best way to test it to see if it changed the timing curve for the best or not
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //