Views:	45 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	218790
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150720_233942.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	218791

Time for round 63. Using stock pcb and all parts are 100% new.

This is the first CDI I was able to get to the pcb with. Im hoping this runs and runs well
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    Well has anything ever came of this idea? I'm in the market for a cdi cause I'm not really likening the pvl that I have on my bike now
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Actually, yes. with all brand new components, the CDI does work. It's based directly off the schematic I have posted on the other page. I'm in search of some one who has knowledge of assembly and more free time than me. I'm willing to send a set of components to be soldered up. The PCB is proto typing board. I don't have a layout build just yet. I started working on it, the image is below. If my new job continues the way it is, I'll be able to pick this project up before to much longer. I still owe several of you guys CDI's!

Name:	Tecate CDI 2.PNG 
Views:	27 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	232119
    Last edited by RubberSalt; 05-26-2016 at 03:14 PM.
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    So you need somebody to draw up the PCB? I can do the assembly, but drawing up and etching the PCB can take some effort. Were you ever able to uncover the bottom of the PCB enough to see how they ran their traces and laid everything out?
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Yup. Had this thing running built on a breadboard. The PCB has all the traces on 1 side. I could just copy it I suppose.

Some of the pics earlier in the thread contain pictures.

--
    One of the things I would like to incorporate is an adjustable CDI. Something simple as a bank of small capacitors and switches to turn them on and off. Being they directly effect RPM, this would give you some control.

Another idea i've had, well, a completely different idea, a programable CDI based off an Arduino. After messing with these over the past 8 months, I've realized that they are very very capable as a micro controller. This would require a lot of R&D and some new hardware. Removing the trigger coil and setting up a hall effect sensor or something along those lines to get crank position based off the magnets. Hall effect sensor are dirt cheap (bought 100 for i think $8?) From there, the charging coil could up upped drastically. The principal would be the same as the current CDI, and all other CDIs. You can directly charge the cap using the charging coil, and then release the stored energy when it's triggered. In this case, the arduino would send the signal to trigger it. The arduino would receive the position of the crank based off 2 Hall effect sensors. Simple math will let you calculate the time between the pulses send by the sensors, This will give you RPM and an approximation of position. From this point, you know RPM and a little more math on when to dump the power from the Cap into the ignition coil. How you've got a programmable CDI If it's done really well, you can have it read an SD card for a text file that contains RPMs and ignition timing. Much easier to program those timing curves! And even and LCD screen with output stats. Maybe some data logging back to that SD card. who knows.

My current position doesn't allow for this. No room in home or shop, etc. In another year-2 I'll be moving and changing all of this! BTW, Arduino based ECUs are out there. Arduinos are Micro controllers. They cant computer much more than math, but they can control the world as far as switches, relays, and everything else under the sun that runs on electricity!

--
    I'm thinking exactly as you are, to make something adjustable. My choice would be a PIC, which I have a lot of experience with. I'll have to go back and look more carefully at the pics and schematics to see how you'd incorporate a micro for the firing event.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--

The PCB

I pulled apart my running repaired CDI and scanned in the PCB. Here's the original PCB.

I've started modding this and preparing it for etching. I'm designing this for 800volts opposed to the 250/400 it was originally done for. That way my custom stator wont cook it later. One other major mod, the wire. The OEM used wire, I don't know what gauge, but 16g was way way to big for the PCB. Mine will fit 16g wire. I don't like the concept of voltage drop or cooked wires over time, and 16g automotive wire is readily available.

Name:	Tecate CDI - PCB.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	353.7 KB 
ID:	232417

One thing i do know, with the OEM stator, The plug sparked. With my custom wound, it snapped at me lol.

--
    I've began modifying the layout. Before, the wires coming out could have been done a little better. I'm moving them all to 1 side. The wire that goes to the ignition coil is going to be big. I'm thinking 14 gauge. I know it's overkill... But with the high voltage, I'd like to get as much power to the coil as possible with the least amount of loss. Wires are also less likely to burn up. This PCB is going to be larger than the original. With it housing larger and more robust components, it needs to be.

I've also thought about encasing the entire thing in clear epoxy, at least for the first 1 or 2.

--
    Awesome!! Keep up the good work!!
    "You should never smoke in pajamas..
    You might start a fire and burn your face..
    Maybe you should return to Manaugua..
    You could go un-noticed in such a place"

FZ

Ass,gas or grass....nobody rides for free!

Ride free,Brotha. See you in Heaven.

--
    I've been doing a good deal of the work.. at work during my free time. I've forgotten to measure the maximum width this can be to still bolt to the same holes with the rubber bushings :-\. I also forgot my flash drive with the data.

So far, the PCB is pretty small. I've found of a way to etch the PCB without a printer. A low end laser plotter + spray paint.
    The other method i thought of is to make a part with my 3D printer that will mask off the part to be etched away, then spray paint it. then etch.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cust...3/go-laser-go/

--
    Etched a PCB. Went old school. Sharpie.

Name:	image-20160612_183820.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	232695

Name:	IMG_20160612_212324.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	232696

--
    Project Tecate CDI is well underway at this point. I am using Metal film resistors opposed to Carbon. When they age, resistance goes up. Carbon goes down. I didn't have the exact values i needed, so i simply just stacked them in parallel to get what I needed. I also double checked a few of the original resistor values i had listed. It looks like they aged and the resistance went up. Several of them were way out of tolerance compared to what the color bands said.

It looks like I'll need to order a few different resistors in the mean time. I'll also need to locate bigger caps so I'm not stacking them either!

Name:	IMG_20160614_091539.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	232726

Name:	IMG_20160614_091559.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	232727

--
    Keep us up dated
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Does anyone have a source for wire on these? Blue and black are easy.

The mixed color wire gets tricky.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //