//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: possible to installa sight glass?

--

possible to installa sight glass?

I know this is a dumb question, but is it possible to install a slight glass on a 350x or a 200x clutch cover? I al asking because it sure makes it way easier to determine oil levels by a glance and confirm everything is hunkey dorey when racing.

I know I would have to drill a hole and then maybe even weld on a small alloy washer to help hold the glass but what else would I need and how do I determine the actual level it needs to be at? I am concerned that when racing Baja and I get a oil leak that it gets missed and we loose a motor over lack of proper oil. if I had a sight glass I would see the level is low or even not there and know we need more oil.

Sorry for the dumb ideas, Just thinking outside the box.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    What about installing a low oil light of some sort a lot of newer bikes and quads have them. Some of the Honda motors like lawnmower style have a kill switch that will shutdown the motor if the oil gets low.
    250r rules

--
    not sure how I would install one of those in a trike. i was thinking maybe a oil pressure Gage of some sorts that sits between the oil cooler and head before oil goes into the engine?

just thought a sight glass would do things like let me know when it is full for sure so i do not over fill as well as when it is low.If not, then I will just have to be extra careful.

--
    I think a sight glass will work I have a 230 Quadsport and it has a sight glass on it for checking oil. Maybe you could see if they are still available threw Suzuki .I know a few Suzuki streetbikes use sight glass aswell. Quadsport side cover .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!pMFC3r,2fElBRDDYwoM8!~~60_12.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	214912
    250r rules

--
    I just checked bikebandit and they show it as available. like $15 bucks. I checked 1990 250 quadsport . same as 230. I will check to see if I have a spare sidecover with a sight glass in it an get you some pics of how its installed .
    250r rules

--
    Thanks a ton sir!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Quadsport sight glass pics.Inside Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-04-22_19-29-10_9.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	214950 outside Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-04-22_19-29-21_687.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	214951
    250r rules

--
    I am just wondering if it is worth the trouble. I see all the case buildup designed to run this. the 350x does not have that so not sure it would be a good idea or not. :/

--
    Here's a goofy idea.... What about a see through cover? Would take a little work but I've seen some clear cases out there.
    81 300R
    85 200x
    85 200s
    85 250sx x2
    83 185
    80 110
    83 110
    78 90
    84 125m
    Bandito 90
    Dickson Full Suspension

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Is it that hard to pull out the dip stick because that what its there for

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 86125m View Post
    Is it that hard to pull out the dip stick because that what its there for
    It is when your doing 1000 miles on a trike down the Mexican baja peninsula.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by madmass View Post
    Here's a goofy idea.... What about a see through cover? Would take a little work but I've seen some clear cases out there.
    Ive never seen that, that would be wild.

Finding where the glass should go would be easy enough. you could make sure you had the clearance inside the case with some clay or play doh or something like that, and get some round aluminum stock, turn it down and drill it to fit the glass, but cut a slot where the bottom would be so oil wont puddle in it and mig it to the inside of the case then drill the case out... Depending on the thickness of the glass and the clearance the slot may not be necessary.Then you have the issue of weakening the case because it was heated and welded on i don't know how that would work out, and id be too worried about it getting hit there and busting my case because there's no real reinforcement there.

That's what i would try, if i were to do it, for whatever its worth...
    Last edited by 83ATC185; 04-23-2015 at 04:25 PM.
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    Yea. Sounds like a bigger pain. I will have to decide at s later time. Biggest thing is getting a roller right now n

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    A good place for it might be where the craptastic stock kicker shaft comes out (after you eliminate it by swapping to a 200S left crank half and a recoil of course).
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1985 ATC250R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 83ATC185 View Post
    Ive never seen that, that would be wild.

Finding where the glass should go would be easy enough. you could make sure you had the clearance inside the case with some clay or play doh or something like that, and get some round aluminum stock, turn it down and drill it to fit the glass, but cut a slot where the bottom would be so oil wont puddle in it and mig it to the inside of the case then drill the case out... Depending on the thickness of the glass and the clearance the slot may not be necessary.Then you have the issue of weakening the case because it was heated and welded on i don't know how that would work out, and id be too worried about it getting hit there and busting my case because there's no real reinforcement there.

That's what i would try, if i were to do it, for whatever its worth...
    This is a popular mod for drag trikes and quads with lockout clutches. Its not glass more like thick plexiglass.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqFHJCkE63YKfv+EBO2DeULd!!~~60_35.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	215050 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20111014_205048.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	215051
    250r rules

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //