//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1st Gen 200X with LEDs and a battery....need advice

--

1st Gen 200X with LEDs and a battery....need advice

I got some LED spots and floods to use as new headlights on a couple of our first gen 200X`s

I`m running a battery, an updated RS 75W lighting coil, and regulator/rectifier to achieve the correct amount of voltage @ DC power. I`m running a brake light switch and a 450R rear led brake light also and would like all this to work even if the motor isn`t running which is why I want to run a battery and not just run a capacitor.

I have two questions:

1) why do the 2nd gen 200X`s have alot more stator coils than the 1st gen?

2) when trying to buy a suitable reg/rectifier I saw a couple that said "will not work with 3 phase"....so what constitutes a 3 phase stator?

3) Since I am changing my AC driven ignition and lighting to a DC system after it`s rectified, Will I also have to change my CDI box to a DC CDI? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that dirtbikes and some ATVs that had AC driven lighting had CDI`s that were designed to run off AC power but not DC.

I did some searches but there`s some conflicting opinions in some cases and I couldn`t find anyone with a first gen 200X who did the battery conversion

Thanks ahead of time

f76 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    The ignition system and lighting system are separate from each other. You can convert the lighting system to dc while leaving the ignition alone.

To use a single phase rectifier with 2 input leads and 2 outputs you will need to go into your stator and disconnect the lighting system ground from the frame and solder in a new ground wire coming out of the stator. You would then connect the two light system wires from the stator to the two yellow wires on the rec/reg. The red output wire will connect to the yellow wire/battery positive for light power. The black wire will connect to the battery negative/ground wire from your led's which can no longer use the frame for ground. You will need to run ground wires for both head light and tail light back to the battery.
    Wiring diagram for 1st gen 200x.
    85 Kawasaki KLT 160
    85 Kawasaki KLT 110
    82 ATC 70
    2000 Scrambler 500

--
    1. Never had a 2nd gen 200X stator out, but from the image on partzilla it just looks like a multi-pole stator instead of the first gen style with a single lighting coil. Not necessarily any difference in power output, but more poles generally results in smoother power output (AC fluctuates at a higher frequency due to more poles, more polarity changes per revolution)

2. A 3-phase stator has 3 identical wires coming out, and requires a rectifier with 6 diodes inside. Single phase stators have either 2 wires, or one wire lead and the other end is grounded right at the engine (the way the stock 1st-gen 200X stator is wired).

3. The 200X uses 2 stator coils, each with one output lead to the wiring harness, and one end grounded to the case cover. One is the source coil for the CDI, the other is the lighting coil. Using a regulator-rectifier to convert the lighting side to DC will have no effect on the ignition source coil. You will leave that coil, as well as the cdi alone, no changes, it will still be ac.

If any of that doesn't make sense, I will be happy to clarify. Hope that helps!
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1985 ATC250R

--
    You guys, that all makes perfect sense.

Ill leave the source coil alone and just mod the lighting coil.

THANKS Y'ALL!!!

--
    Any updates how did this turn out. Im 0retty tired of my lack luster lighting on my x.doesnt help im runnin a 250sx headlight
    http://www.youtube.com/user/effortequalsresults
    83 atc 110
    77 atc 90
    80 atc 110
    85 200x
    85 200x
    87 250es
    79 atc 110
    1978 atc90
    1985 200s
    1985 atc70
    1983 atc 70

--
    This is a cool project!

I ran LEDs right off the AC lighting coil with no capacitor or battery on a Tecate and a couple of 70s. I do add a "2-wire" regulator.
    I also run LEDs on the stock lighting system on my 85 350X and 250R.

There are times a battery would be nice - like when sitting on top off a dune in the middle of the night...

--
    I wired it up just as f76 suggested. I took it to TF15 and it all worked flawlessly. I did a lot of night riding and on rough terrain. Nary an issue. The switches, ignition, and mounting system I fabbed up worked just as good

I never got around to adding the brake light switch but did use an LED bulb in the factory socket in the stock tailight and I am super pleased with that result as well

I put the same setup on my sons trike right before we left for TF.
    It was BRIGHT AS F#$K and got a lot of compliments from ppl and a few complaints of blindness. I was in such a hurry to get it all done, I didn't take many pics. I sold that trike to my son's friend a few months ago so I do have local access to it.

I used a used gel battery from the local Batteries Plus I bought for 30$, used a regulator rectifier I used to use on Triumph motorcycles, and the Ricky Stator lighting coil. Ran all new wires from inside the case. There's a fusible link in there too with a 30a fuse.

ATCKing, you saw our lights in action at TF so you know its a really good conversion

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 11-08-2015 at 11:13 PM.

f76 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

My 200x has a goki electric start so I had the battery box already. Wired in the rest of the components. Used the same light bar on my 350x and 200x.
    85 Kawasaki KLT 160
    85 Kawasaki KLT 110
    82 ATC 70
    2000 Scrambler 500

--
    Now if we can only find some inexpensive 350x headlight shrouds... Then we would be in business!!!
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //