//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 200x Kickstarter extremely hard to kick (newly assembled motor)

--

200x Kickstarter extremely hard to kick (newly assembled motor)

Working on one of my 200x projects I'm building up...

Here's where I'm at:

- I got my parts back from Mr. Dunlap (piston, cylinder, head, cam) and assembled my top end.

- I also put in a barnett clutch

- I put the motor back in the frame and tried to kick it over

The kickstarter is extremeeeely hard to kick and doesnt spring back up/return to the upright position. it stays down.

I can turn the crank over very easily using the crankshaft bolt on the left side of the motor. piston seems to go up and down fine, i dont hear valves hitting piston or anything like that

Ive put in a few hours in the sun on this project today so before driving myself nuts i'm just gonna post this up there. maybe someone's run into this before.

Tonight/tomorrow is my wedding anniversary so I wont be wrenching for at least another 24-48 hours

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3990.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	558.4 KB 
ID:	215133
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3992.JPG  

--
    Did you split the cases, or was this just a top end overhaul? If you weren't in the cases, my guess would be that something went wrong when the clutch went together, or when the clutch cover went back on. I wonder if the gears in the cover aren't timed properly? The dots are tiny and hard to see. Try pulling the clutch cover off and checking in there.
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1985 ATC250R

--
    if you did not use the gasket that is for the kick start cover with the seal then it will bind and cause it not to operate. it is that sensitive.
    as asked if did you go into the cases? it is sounding like maybe an extra spacer was added or put in the wrong place. when ever I do cases. I always tested everything out before I finish assembly or even install the crank. meaning I will assemble the 2 halves w/o the crank and test the trans and spacing and pic the movement. if it is ok, I dissemble, and then install crank and proceed. I also check it again after crank is installed. I check trans movement and kick starter movement with each and every stage of assembly. I do not even install the top end till one of the last things I do. once that is done. then I will know it is perfect and should operate.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Your external kickstarter gears aren't aligned properly or you forgot a thrust washer in that assembly or if you split the cases you didn't put the ratchet spring on correctly.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    I'll double check the thrust washers and the clutch install

The furthest I got into the cases was the clutch

--
    ^ ok then it should like you have something binding that should not. also make sure it is in neutral. if not that makes it tuff to try to kick out of the bike.

--
    another thing, make sure you have the cdi cover gaskets correct and everything setup correctly. if not that can stop it from turning.

--
    Yeah, it spins fine from the crank bolt so i think the clutch or kickstarter gears/washers might be the issue as mentioned

i was careful to align all the index/punch marks on the kickstarter gears, but, maybe i missed something or a thrust washer. I do have the gasket on the kickstarter gear cover as well.

I'm going to recheck everything probably tomorrow (cam sprocket, valve clearance, clutch, kickstart (thrust washers), etc.

--
    It's probably the thrust washers. I didnt realize there were 2 different size/width thrust washers.

Does anyone know the dimensions of each so i can make sure i have the right size washers in the right places?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen shot 2015-04-26 at 6.55.00 PM.png  

--
    If you're referring to 15 and 16 in that parts breakdown, there's no way to mix them up. The inner one has a smaller hole and won't fit where the outer one goes. However, if you've got one on the main shaft and one on the short shaft, that's a problem. It does seem odd, but the main shaft doesn't have any washers under the external gear cover.
    Last edited by YTZ drew; 04-26-2015 at 07:58 PM. Reason: added info
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1985 ATC250R

--
    Thanks for that info drew.. that makes sense (different OD shafts/washers)

Ok, either way i will probably just tear the whole right side apart and go through it again

--
    Did Mickey do some port work ect.?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yamasaki760 View Post
    Tonight/tomorrow is my wedding anniversary so I wont be wrenching for at least another 24-48 hours

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3990.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	558.4 KB 
ID:	215133
    Dang, you got some stamina. What's your secret?
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    ^ pink pills. with a V on it!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Salyer View Post
    Did Mickey do some port work ect.?
    no porting, just larger valves, hd springs, custom grind cam, bore cyl, include new piston and ship parts back (may i add, head and cyl were beautifully sandblasted at that)

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //