//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tecate Tops out at 65mph

Ragar is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Tecate Tops out at 65mph

Im Heavy, pulling in a 240.
    and realtivly flat ground.
    I seemed to only be able to hit 65 on the T3.
    From what i read that seems slow

I have 615 Boysen reeds
    35mm Air Striker Carb
    Stock pipe with Answer Silencer
    Stock Gearing, and tire sizes.

Now it Gets there REALLY fast. but i figured id at least see 70mph

--
    That probably right for a stock setup. You can go up on the sprocket in the front or down in the back and that will give you more top speed.

--
    just found out my speedometer was calculated incorrectly. real top speed was 73.25 that's what I was thinking I would have saw

--
    sounds about right to me, 65mph
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    Did a few runs today, this time with a GPS as well.
    I'm able to hit 65-68 consistently. 0-60 is almost instant.
    over a long distance it'll climb a bit higher to 70
    The speedo I tried out is not working at all. Its for a bicycle so not shocked.
    The GPS has been verified as accurate.

I'm not a big one for having the highest top speed, but i definitely want it if I'm supposed to have it.

--
    Tecates don't an aren't soppose to have it.they were intended for track use. Show me a track a trike ever got over. 60mph.even at pine lake where you can really stretch their legs they top about 60 before having to slow down. The pro quads were barely touching 70

--
    Yeah, the Tecates are point and shoot machines intended for the track. They accelerate quickly but don't have the long legs of the 250R and Tri-Z, both of which have 6 speed gearboxes for the last generation. I like grunt down low and long legs, so the 5 speed Tecate has been hard to gear to my liking. I like the gearing on my Z the best. 6th gear on the ATC 250R is almost like an overdrive, which is why they changed it for the 88/89 TRX.

--
    Its easily one of, and most likely the quickest Ive ridden. Previously had a banshee, and work with CanAm so its acceleration is right with those monsters.

I thought the top speed was up there with the others even with the five speed from what I have read.

It doesn't feel tapped out in 5th either, like it'll keep climbing over a long ways.
    Im happy with it so far the fastest ive gotten it is about 74... and that was down the road over almost a half mile before I was starting to draw way to much attention (illegal to road ride where i live)

--
    Now imagine a kx 500 in one, I am. The 500 must have way taller gears than the 250. Sounds like you are running good . Wrenching today, watched Sand Mountain 500 video about an hour ago, my gosh! Tecate fever reestablished.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldy View Post
    Now imagine a kx 500 in one, I am. The 500 must have way taller gears than the 250. Sounds like you are running good . Wrenching today, watched Sand Mountain 500 video about an hour ago, my gosh! Tecate fever reestablished.
    The 500 gear box is totAlly different. I hardly ever got out of 3rd on my 500 before it was already too fast
    TrikeFest 2012, 2013
    Mikfest 1.0
    HellHole Survivor
    Jericho

Looking for a liquid cooled kx500 motor .. Pm me with what you got

--
    Ran all weekend with an LTz400, DVX400 and a Raptor660 (heavily modified) and a 400ex
    The 400ex was not in the same league.
    the DVX and LTZ are Slower but seem to have about the same top speed, would catch up in fourth but if i hit 5th id inch away slightly
    The Raptor has mods, about the only thing that could pull away. but id didn't do so as fast as he thought it would. He was shocked I was quicker off the line and would stay in front of him for 500 feet or so.

I had everyone on acceleration by far, but they seem geared for longer legs. THink I could fix that with a front sprocket and still have them off the line.

--
    Been a busy summer this year. I went to a 14 tooth front sprocket, and gained an easy 5-6 mph, and i blew the head gasket so i switched to a KX250 head Gasket, its slightly thinner and bumped up the compression, its a moster to kick. With the compression bump i didn't feel any loss at the bottom when switching to the higher gearing. Im like the new gearing alot with the comp boost.

Something strange i knoticed is the bottom end oil looks a touch milky.. not terrible but its kinda got me wondering how...its brand new and hasnt seen any water?

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragar View Post
    Something strange i knoticed is the bottom end oil looks a touch milky.. not terrible but its kinda got me wondering how...its brand new and hasnt seen any water?
    i would change the oil

--
    milky colored engine oil might mean you have a case seal leak and fluid from your cooling system is getting into the oil

--
    That was my theory too. Or the oil wasnt standing up to the revs and what making air bubbles that made it look milky in the sight glass.. I'm just running Kawi Oil, might have to step up to something more formulated.

Also it blows some out threw the breather at high rpm.. that normal??? Not much, but i knoticed a tiny puddle. I also didnt measure it the best, wanted to ride, so it could be my fault on that.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //