//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 86 Honda 200X Recommission ATC

--
    Don't just keep it In the garage, that is the worst thing for these old girls. You gotta run em, don't abuse em, but don't neglect em.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    Yea I'd say ride it, just dont abuse it. I plan on doing the same when I finish my R build.

--
    Yea...I agree with you all. I will use it just very gently.

I started it today and it ran like new. It is extremely quiet and sounds like a sewing machine. I do not have a lot of experience with ATCs but this seems very quiet. With the 350X and it's Bassani exhaust it sounded like a boss. The 85 200x was very throaty and had a nice sound....even with its stock exhaust. But this was way more quiet than I thought it would be.

I didn't ride it as the chain was not installed, the clutch cable was not installed and the beater tires were not installed. Overall I'm very pleased.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150601_150428.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	906.6 KB 
ID:	216616

--
    Just finished a couple more items. Clean, de-rusted the original chain and installed. The rear fender put back on and the clutch cable installed. I'm slowly working on the front and tomorrow I will overhaul the front brakes and a few other things. I have a Maier front disk guard in great condition but don't know if I'm going to install it........also a black one for the back.

I guess I could of purchased a new chain but the original is nice to still have installed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150605_175753.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	924.8 KB 
ID:	216749   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150605_175743.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	895.0 KB 
ID:	216748  
    Last edited by knappyfeet; 06-06-2015 at 05:34 PM.

--
    Man that thing has been in a time capsule. The tank is so bright. Do you have the shrouds? Why exactly did you rebuild the motor. Was it smoking?
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmoozy27 View Post
    Man that thing has been in a time capsule. The tank is so bright. Do you have the shrouds? Why exactly did you rebuild the motor. Was it smoking?
    Bent exhaust valve, you told us in the original post, I was amazed at how quiet they are too. My super X has a stock 200x exhaust and I love how quiet it is. Don't let it fool you, they ride very good and have decent power in stock form.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmoozy27 View Post
    Bent exhaust valve, you told us in the original post, I was amazed at how quiet they are too. My super X has a stock 200x exhaust and I love how quiet it is. Don't let it fool you, they ride very good and have decent power in stock form.
    Yea they are quiet. I haven't ridden the 86 yet but the 85 200x was way quicker than I thought. Easy to flick around and quick on the acceleration. .......... very nice.

This is the case protector. As you can see this bike has been used. Nearly sand blasted off the finish on the lower side of it. I haven't painted anything on this bike and I kinda don't want to but as you can see......if any part of this bike needs refinishing it's this. The other side looks like it will clean up. Maybe I will just clean it up and try to maintain its original theme. I never felt blemishes took away from somethings originality but sometimes added to it. With my 85 200x that's different because that is in need of a restoration.

Name:	20150605_175946.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	216783

Name:	20150605_175938.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	216784

--
    Here is something else I'm working on currently. This is one of the reasons I am not moving as fast as I would like. But after the 86 200X. .......I have to get the yamaha finished before I start the 85 200x. ...........which really needs a restoration.

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/gener...-1-1971-a.html

Name:	20150130_154145.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	216785

Name:	20150130_154224.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	216786

Name:	20150220_151212.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	216787

--
    Maier Front Disc brake covers \ protectors. .........thoughts?

I already have my thoughts on these covers but since I am new to the game was wondering what others thought about them. These are nearly new and would look nice on the 86 but maybe was thinking about installing them on my 85 200x. Since that will have nearly all Maier plastics as the others are not good maybe install on that and leave this kinda original. On the 85 200X I wanted to do a little performance upgrades as well.

--
    There is many more upgrades available for the 83-85 200x so I say that's a good idea. The 86 is in such good shape the way it is that it should be left stock. I'm not a real fan of the plastic guards. I have never owned any but I feel like they would just get ruined in Louisiana. A lot of people like how they look. I like the way trikes looked in the 80's.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    I agree with you. Maybe better fitted elsewhere.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    Yes....I feel fortunate. I honestly and humbly did not understand the current values of these old ATCs. In a way now.......I wonder if I want this 200x being used and abused by my wife. I always take care of my vehicles but after finding replacement parts (especially fenders and plastics) being seemingly extinct......I wonder if caution is in order.
    throw caution to the wind and enjoy it. nice bike man!

--
    Just a few more things done. Overhauled the front brake system....changed fork oil.....cleaned front wheel and tire and some other stuff. I wanted to get new gators for it but cannot find NOS anywhere. Maybe I'll look again or call the dealer. This weekend will clean and install the original ohtsu P/V tires.

Name:	20150611_180956.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	981.1 KB 
ID:	217050

--
    Uh, that's looking brand new. One thing I notice is the hand grips. OEM ones have a rounded locking end that screws on after the grip is installed. I think it protects the grip more than anything, they are black.

bigezee is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Uh, that's looking brand new. One thing I notice is the hand grips. OEM ones have a rounded locking end that screws on after the grip is installed. I think it protects the grip more than anything, they are black.
    You are right the original ones are black with the cap on the end. This is still an amazing build. Love the pictures and keep them coming please. I am kinda doing the same thing you are with my 86. Mine is in a lot rougher shape than yours though and it is a rider and not a museum piece.

What tips can you give on cleaning and restoring some of the surfaces. Are you using any touch up paint at all? If so what type. I don't hardly see a single chip or rust anywhere. I have some Colorite Honda Passion Red R109 paint coming soon. Have you ever used this? What paints and/or cleaning supplies are you using and where? I would appreciate any advice you could give. thanks

p.s. If you think you might have any extra parts you don't think you would need let me know. PM me!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //