//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 86 Honda 200X Recommission ATC

bigezee is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Forgot to mention.....do you have a thread or pics of your bike? I'd love to see it.
    Here's a few I took tonight. I have some pictures here and there. I haven't updated my album in a while.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150616_223228.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	217266
    Notice not much fender left.....

Name:	20150616_223132.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	217267
    New fender waiting to be put on..!!

Name:	20150616_223245.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	217268
    Another shot...

Love to have put a new oem fender on but the repro Maier will have to do....

After the fender next gonna get tank repaired and painted. Yeah I know the front brake line is all jacked up. Someone didn't know what they were doing..

No problemo. I was trying to also get the tape measure close to the ends so you had some idea of their placement but I was taking pictures with the Samsung 12.2 and that tablet is heavy. If you need any others let me know.
    This should do just fine. I will just import the pictures you posted into Flexisign and resize it to a perfect match. thanks again. Will repost after it is all mounted and decals on.

--
    You know you have a real good candidate for a recommission. From I can tell in the photos it looks nice. How's the swingarm and that area look?

I took a closeup look at your grips and I see what you mean with that end cap. I looked on ebay and it was $54 new NOS.

How do you like the Maiers? I'm going that route for my 85. Those Maier plastics are nearing the endangered species list. I've found new NOS plastics are nearly extinct.

--
    A few more pics....almost finished

This last photo shows the indent in the tank. I've contemplated refinishing it but since the original finish is very nice then I will forgo it and consider it "character "

There's still quite a bit more items to finish on it. It seems it's the little things that go unnoticed yet take time. This is my next project. It runs, starts and stops very well

Name:	20150617_165414.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	983.2 KB 
ID:	217294

Name:	20150617_165437.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	217295

Name:	20150617_165454.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	917.0 KB 
ID:	217296

Name:	20150617_165507.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	217297

Name:	20150617_165543.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	996.9 KB 
ID:	217298

--
    I took a closeup look at your grips and I see what you mean with that end cap. I looked on ebay and it was $54 new NOS.
    Bought my grips new from my local Honda shop. I think they were 20 bucks for the pair. I don't think these have changed much over the years. They looked just like the original ones.

Name:	20150617_195832.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	217299

Name:	20150617_200019.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	217300
    Got my fender on tonight. I think these fenders feel pretty rugged and will hold up well. I just wish they fit a little better. Going to have to trim them a little bit to match the tank. Not sure why they didn't fix that part. It won't look so aftermarket once I get the decals cut and on there.

Name:	20150617_195906.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	217301
    My rear end is in need of some attention. I know I need some bearings replaced for sure. Maybe new chain/sprocket. Scared to even mess with it right now. Going to ride it this summer. Maybe over the winter months.!?!?

Wow, yours looks very nice. That is what I am going for. You should have seen mine when I first bought it. I saved it from an early death..

I didn't mean to take over your thread here but just like sharin my progress with you and anyone else. I might just start another thread or we can just keep this going. it's all good. All your help is appreciated.

Will post pictures in a few days after decals are on. Then going to look for a local body shop to paint the tank.

later

--
    That new Maier is really looking nice. That changes how your whole bike looks. To be honest it looks better than I thought.

Keep posting pics and updates. I'm almost nearing the end of my spruce up.......I'd love to see your progress as it moves along. After owning the 2 generations of 200x I've really come to appreciate the last generation. However the first gen is still closer to my heart.

--
    Got my decals on today. Man I love the smell of Rapid tac...

What do ya think? I think it helps the Maier fender look more original. Thanks to knappyfeet for the pictures. I kinda used them to reproduce these decals. Much appreciated

Next on the list fork boots and get an estimate for the tank....

Do you or anyone have a good source for some fork boots? I see the cheap $20 chinese reproductions all the time but have heard some bad things about some of them. Especially with the fit and durability. Also some of them don't look the right shade of blue.

Name:	20150620_200413.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	217379

Name:	20150620_200458.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	217380

Name:	20150620_200524.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	217381

--
    Those fenders look good. Do they use the rolled metal brace like the OEM fender did? The brace held the fender sides up, bolts to bottom of fender, gold anodized color.

I suggest you take on the carrier bearing replacement before you do much riding. I neglected mine and when I fixed it, i had ruined the internal center piece that rotates and adjusts the chain! I got to purchase that and that was plenty not enjoyable.
    The bearings, seals, o-rings....... not a major repair. I would imagine Honda parts under $75. Worth not letting go.

--
    Do they use the rolled metal brace like the OEM fender did? The brace held the fender sides up, bolts to bottom of fender, gold anodized color.

Name:	20150621_090433.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	217397

You must be talking about the Fender Support Stay Part#80116-HB5-020. I took a picture of how it looks on the Maier fender. As you can see some dumbazz cut this one and now I am looking for a replacement. They have NOS on ebay for right now for 55 but I cant see paying that for a small piece of bent metal. Looking to maybe bend and make my own unless I find a cheaper used one somewhere. They sent some L brackets with the fender to drill and bolt through the fender after looping it through the stay. I don't feel comfortable drilling through my new fender taking the chance it will weaken it. and might try to epoxy them on. Would epoxy even stick to this plastic?

As far as the carrier bearing replacement, would you happen to have any good links to parts needed and maybe special tools needed. Any video and/or step by step tutorials would be great. I am pretty handy with tools but when it comes to this it really scares the out of me. My only fear is getting it all apart and then not knowing how to put it all back together. Could have my Honda guy do it but it might be another small fortune...lol

Any help would be great...thanks..

--
    The fender support stay probably snapped off while riding. They break from jumping or hanging off the side, putting too much leg and backside weight over it......Finally snapping off mine broke but after years of riding hard. I bought one off 3bay for like $65 , just to have one around. It's in a box of someday parts.
    I am not much of a computer person as far as attaching photos and that, at this time, which I know cheats me and others. I will have to catch up someday.Your photo attaching skills are a big plus on getting help on any project on the site.
    I remember that I let the bearings go because I had a the hub welded to the axle and I knew I would have to cut the axle to take the axle out.The hubs loosened up when I put 4” wheel spacers and 8" tires and rims on, ruining the hub maybe axle splines too and I didn't catch it because they had never loosened with that quickness before. Being intimidated and an expense repair to come, the machine got welded up. Worked great, bearings went out later on, continued to ride it. So bearings were out and sat for a couple years. So.... Junk axle, bought one of those on my bearing replacement project too plus a hub.
    I can remember the axle pulls out of the swingarm to the left side, if you are behind the 200x looking at it all. No special tools except some large wrench to loosen the axle nuts. You have to remove the brake disc and the chain sprocket, remove the rear brake. No biggie, no pressing or heating, just looking and thinking really. Didn't have to beat on anything, came apart easy. Might need a pair of snap ring pliers and a red scotchbrite pad for some cleaning up.

I will see if the manual says anything about it later today. You can download one on here if you didnt know, search manual. I worked on mine trying to find spark more, most of the night. Only motor problem I have ever had but it is being a real tough one! I am doing some maintence and sprucing up on it. So I hope to trace the problem down.The manual keeps sending me to the brand new handlebar switch I just bought.
    Last edited by fieldy; 06-21-2015 at 12:50 PM.

--
    Partzilla..com would have a blowup of the axle assembly. Section 13 in manual has blowup. You could try epoxy on the support, should work but will probably break loose at some point. If you decide to drill the fenders post a picture if not too much trouble. I wouldn't believe it would weaken the plastic, just look not original. Maybe try without bolting first like you thought.
    You boys have some nice trikes, you'll love em.Thanks for sharing them photos.
    Last edited by fieldy; 06-21-2015 at 03:07 PM.

--
    [QUOTE=bigezee;1373357]Do you or anyone have a good source for some fork boots? I see the cheap $20 chinese reproductions all the time but have heard some bad things about some of them. Especially with the fit and durability.

Man those decals look perfect. Holy moly you changed how your bike looks. Good job. How did you do the decals? I will need to do something like that when I get to work on my 85 200x.

Yea I wish I really knew where to find those fork protectors. I purchased some for a honda 125 motorcycle and they fit but they were smaller and the quality was not acceptable......they came from Thialand. There's other NOS for the 85 200X but they are wrong for the 86 200X.

Keep posting pics on your progress.

--
    I heard of a guy that bought 4x4 shock boots at auto zone for his trike, how they fit, not sure. I might see what they have someday. Price was under $20 for the pair. Honda dealship may have ideas, call around with the measurements.I am totally bootless and have been a long while.

--
    Had the chance to put these 2 brothers thru their paces. I installed the ohtsu pro wedges on both. And although I am not completely finished with the 86 200X it was still ready enough for riding. And although you can noticeably see the difference in generations the elder brother was quite capable. In fact I am anxious to start my 85 200x project because a nice overhaul I feel will shorten the performance gap between the two.

--
    Man those decals look perfect. Holy moly you changed how your bike looks. Good job. How did you do the decals? I will need to do something like that when I get to work on my 85 200x.
    Thanks. I just created them mostly off your pictures you sent and just used Flexisign sign program and cut them on my Graphtec vinyl cutter. I can do some for you if you want some. Just PM me some time and I can fix you up. I just can only do single colors and not printed stuff.

I can remember the axle pulls out of the swingarm to the left side, if you are behind the 200x looking at it all. No special tools except some large wrench to loosen the axle nuts. You have to remove the brake disc and the chain sprocket, remove the rear brake. No biggie, no pressing or heating, just looking and thinking really. Didn't have to beat on anything, came apart easy. Might need a pair of snap ring pliers and a red scotchbrite pad for some cleaning up.
    I do have the 86 200x Service manual in PDF format downloaded from somewhere on here but the pictures are pretty fuzzy. I would love a good Youtube video of it!!

Here is a pic my axle. Of course the left side hub is welded on. Can I still pull the axle out and change the bearings? There is a little play in the rear axle but not real bad. I still think I want to do this now. I looked but not sure which bearings to get. I see bearing kits from all over the place. Just want to make sure I get the right ones and quality ones too. Do I also need orings? They are not part of the kits I seen. Any info where you got yours would be greatly appreciated.

Name:	20150623_182147.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	217473

Name:	20150623_182210.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	217474

If I do get the axle out ok, what would be a good and cheap way of getting them to look new, of course other than having them zinc coated or something.

--
    Here's a couple of pages out of the manual........maybe even more fuzzy. It will slide out the left side so your o.k..

There's really on 2 ways to clean up the rear....other than to replate it. One is to paint it. I think Eastwood sells some cad/zinc paints in gold/yellow or the bluish tints. The other is to de rust it with a rust remover then clean up the metal afterwards. I used Amosol metal polish and it's pretty good on steel and specialized alloys.

Name:	20150623_173417.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	892.0 KB 
ID:	217475

Name:	20150623_173053.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	838.5 KB 
ID:	217476

Name:	20150623_173034.jpg