Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: running out of threads on the axle collar 86atc250r

--

running out of threads on the axle collar 86atc250r

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	216317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	216318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	216319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	axle.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	216316So I have a lonestar axle for my 86 atc250r, a lonestar bearing carrier and an 86 swingarm,but when I put it toghether I seem to be running out of threads on the axle collar .Posting pics and measurements if anybody can help.The large nut is only engaged 5 threads. Is that enough?
    I have heard of some people putting a spacer between the splined collar and the brake hub?
    And Should there be a bushing on the axle sprocket hub or just the aluminum hub flange.

--
    Where is the collar that goes over the snap ring on the axle?
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    The nut is already recessed for it ,I think they did this in

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	2163201986?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fordnut79@hotma View Post
    And Should there be a bushing on the axle sprocket hub or just the aluminum hub flange.
    Yes, there is supposed to be a zinc coated steel ring where it comes into contact with the bearings & seals.

The nut is already recessed for it ,I think they did this in 1986?
    That's a new one to me. Mine is an '86, but doesn't have the recess on it. Maybe it was '87 or later that they did that?

--
    Anybody got a pic of the steel ring or how thick it should be. That would help bring things more to the left and help engage a few more threads. I think the lonestar axle I have is an older 3rd gen one as well.

--
    Mine is installed, so no pics available, but LSR lists them on their website.

http://www.lsracing.com/axcalibar-ra...atv-utv-racing

--
    86 did delete the separate step collar and just bored the nut to hold the clip.

Stock disc hub so no ring is needed. It may be your axle but that just pushes on the clip so 5 threads wouldn't scare me.....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Can anybody confirm the washer at the sprocket hub end. I don't see any witness marks for one. the lonestar axle I have is an older 3rd gen one as well. The ends are a lil different I think. The only markings stamped on it are lonestar 07 01 02.

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	216352

--
    You need the washer that fits over the clip and pushes against the lock nut. It wasn't eliminated in 86.

Its number 18 on the parts list
    http://www.servicehonda.com/parts/lo...FE1AHA28F1301A

--
    RedRider,I called lonestar and got one of the washers that sit against the sprocket hub.See if it helps. Anybody have a pic of this washer on the sprocket side hub area they can post?

--
    Your problem is that your using a 87 nut with a 85-86 threaded collar. The 85-86 collar is shorter because it uses that little sleeve that fits over the snap ring. When you eliminate the little collar there are less threads to engage.

--
    The 87-up bikes used a longer threaded/splined sleeve because the snap ring groove was machined into the end of the nut.

--
    RedRider,I called lonestar and got one of the washers that sit against the sprocket hub.See if it helps. Anybody have a pic of this washer on the sprocket side hub area they can post?
    Here's a pic from ebay of Lonestar's current standard hub: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lone-Star-Ra...88ef5f&vxp=mtr

In the pic of your axle, the sprocket hub doesn't appear to have the ring, nor does it look like it is turned down to accept a steel ring over it. Did you try calling or emailing Lonestar's tech support? They should know the history of their axles, and whether or not they all had the steel rings installed. Also, it sounds like BKM is onto something in post #11.

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Also, it sounds like BKM is onto something in post #11.
    bkm is right. The axle is not the issue, it is the threaded collar/sleeve. I am running the exact same axle on my 200r.

--
    I see it in the parts list but I know I have one large nut thats not relieved and one that is??

I put a RAD nut on my 86 350X over the weekend and it had the piece that goes over the c - clip, it's an early 86 and I thought the later models had the change like the frame changing 2 or 3 times in 86. All at the one motor mount...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //