//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New member recommissioning 1984 200s

BigRedGrizzly is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Thanks, man. I'm fortunate to have a garage, tools, know how, and motivation.
    I'm glad that I didn't order parts yet and waited until I did the disassembly. After taking the front end apart it became obvious that the spanner bolt was quite loose allowing for the slop in the steering stem. Tightened it up and put it back together. Much better... No more wobble.
    Last edited by BigRedGrizzly; 06-02-2015 at 09:38 AM.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    xlnt . . did you grease the bottom bearings also?

BigRedGrizzly is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    No... It wasn't to dry. The previous owner stripped it down to the frame and did it earlier. They weren't bad at all, just loose. I figured I'd slam more grease in the top since I had it apart.

--
    Hi all.... For this discussion I will be referring to the 2 Atcs as Atc A and Atc B. Recently started having a problem with ATC 200s B. I'm not certain if it's the weak spark or a problem with the carb. It was running pretty good but I knew it was missing the O-ring and washer for the pilot screw so I bought a rebuild kit from Feedom County ATV. I replaced the low speed jet, idle adj. screw or throttle stop screw, pilot screw with spring o-ring and washer. Also replaced the bowl drain and o-ring. I also cleaned the heck out the carb with carb cleaner and blew compressed air through every orifice I could find. Reassembled, and it would not start. I pulled it with atc A to bump start it and it finally fired up in high second gear. I managed to keep it running and adj. the pilot screw and idle. The thing is reving high. I have the pilot screw about 2 1/4 turns out. When I get the idle set to where it sounds correct it slowly dies. If I turn the idle up a hair it revs high again. I shut it off and restarted with out a problem since it was warm. I tried to start again cold, no dice. Did the whole disassemble clean carb and jets again. Reassembled and still nothing. Checked for spark in the dark and I can barely see a spark. There must be one since it was running. I took the carb from Atc A and put it on Atc B and it still wouldn't fire. I put carb from Atc B on Atc A and Atc A did not fire either. I think I have a combo spark/carb problem. I'm thinking it may benefit from a new coil so I ordered one from EBay since they are pretty cheap. Does anybody have any suggestions or tests I can run to figure this out. I do have a multimeter but I'm not sure what readings should be. Also, I should mention where the spark plug boot attaches to the coil wire was loose. It looks like it just threads on so I tightened it up a bit. Still nothing. Thanks guys.

--
    Daryl, check your fuel tank lid, it may be vapor locked. First, im sure that you know this, it must be set to the on position. Try running it with the cap loose. If that does not fix the problem, the next place I would look is the jets. Did you use the jets from the rebuild kit? Sometimes they can be wrong because the kit is generic and fits multiple models. Also check your carb slide, it may have a groove where the idle screw sits causing it to be stuck at one height. You can file that down. Let us know?
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    You know what... I'm going to put back the original jets and pilot screw with the new ohh-ring and the washer and see if that does anything. Funny you should mention the vapor lock issue. I noticed when pulling the fuel line off the tank it was pretty difficult. When it did come off it sounded like it may have been suctioned on. I have vent switch in the cap but may be its clogged. I'll let you know how I make out tonight. Thanks for the guidance.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedGrizzly View Post
    You know what... I'm going to put back the original jets and pilot screw with the new ohh-ring and the washer and see if that does anything. Funny you should mention the vapor lock issue. I noticed when pulling the fuel line off the tank it was pretty difficult. When it did come off it sounded like it may have been suctioned on. I have vent switch in the cap but may be its clogged. I'll let you know how I make out tonight. Thanks for the guidance.
    No problem, did your axle arrive yet?
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--

Schwing!
    Thanks, J

--
    If you need anything else for the build I will let you get it for the cost of shipping. Just let me know.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    Thanks, J. It has been a pleasure dealing with you. I should be pretty good if I can get this carb/spark figured out.

--
    Ok. So I have made some progress. I have been able to confirm spark. I took the carb apart again and cleaned the heck of it with carb cleaner. I blew the heck out of it with compressed air. I put the old carb parts back in that we're in the last time it was running. The only test I have not run is compression. Would the engine still run if compression is low but will not start from pull start? I'm able to bump start it and it will run. I tried with the fuel cap off also. Nothing. Any other possibilities or suggestions?

--

What does this plug say? It looks wet but it's not. It's just dark.

--

Changed the plug out with a brand spankin new one. Fired up no problem. I wish I had done that sooner. Would have easily saved me a couple dozen carb removal and installs. Hey, I know may way around the carb like champ now.

--
    Trial and error, learn from your mistakes. Problem solving becomes a habit. How is she running? Better with the OEM jets?
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    Yeah... Great. Took it for a nitro burn on the street over to my sisters house. Idles great and is smooth. I'm camping with my son and the cub scouts tomorrow so I'll be putting that axle on Sunday. Think I should strip the paint first or does it not matter? I need to buy larger snap ring pliers to get the sprocket off the old one. The ones I have don't open wide enough. I have been able to take it from this to this.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //