//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Build with photos, 200X with 200E engine swap

--

Build with photos, 200X with 200E engine swap

I am starting a build putting 1983 200E engine in my 1983 200X. I have a lifan 200 in it now. I have been running it for the last year. It runs good but I feel he need to get a Honda engine back in it. The lifan was a good temporary way to use the X because the original engine was in need of a overhaul. I was spoiled by the electric start. I looked for a 200M engine but they are hard to find at a reasonable price.

It looked like the 200E engine would be the way to go as far as price and availability goes. It will be more work to install because of the hi lo gearbox. I found a 1983 200E engine in very good shape with all electric components and wire harness for $280.00.

I am posting some photos of progress so far (if I remember how to post photos) I will update as I go. I have a good plan to get the hi lo gearbox to fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5230094.JPG   P5230098.JPG   P5230099.JPG   P5230104.jpg   P5230108.JPG  

--
    Sounds fun!! Keep us updated!!!! What are you gonna do with the lifan?
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    I plan to sell the lifan. It is a good runner.

--
    is that a stock 200x shock? looks different unless the paint on the spring is just gone.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jrooster View Post
    is that a stock 200x shock? looks different unless the paint on the spring is just gone.
    It is not the stock shock. When I got the X the rear shock was frozen up it moved about one inch if you really pushed it down and would slowly return. I looked around my shop and found a shock that came off of my 2002 Suzuki bandit. Compared length, about the same, mount eye diameter same. I put it on and it works great for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails olympus 2014 062.JPG  

--
    I had some time to work the BRX (big red X) today. I have a couple of pics of the frame mods needed to fit the engine. I have the lower rear mount bolt in. The frame notched for the starter. Will need to weld in a patch to reinforce it after I get the other mount points set.

The top head to frame mounts line up okay. The rear upper mount bolt, the long one with spacers, will need to be adjusted. About a half a hole off. The front mount plates need major work. I will post more on the mount mods as I work them. So far looks good to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 200x engine swap 2015 004.JPG   trike engine swap 002.jpg  

--
    snuggled up tight to that frame. are you gonna work in some clearance Clarence? or do you plan to rock that as is?
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!!!!!

TRIKES:
    86 250r
    85 250sx
    86 250sx
    84 Yamaha 225DX - Bruins Trike
    85 Yama 225DX - The Rental!
    150cc Piranha powered 70
    110cc Lifan 70
    82 70
    83 ALT 50 Trail Buddy
    88 Yamaha BW 80
    84 z50

--
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox View Post
    snuggled up tight to that frame. are you gonna work in some clearance Clarence? or do you plan to rock that as is?
    Yes it is a tight fit now. When I get the other mounts finished I will adjust the clearance. With only one mount bolt it moves about some. Thanks for the input.

--
    where you notched the frame for the starter,that is the weakest spot on the 200x frame.might want to add some reinforcements to the down tube
    Signature pic removed,becuase of no helmet.

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new 200xle.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	216617

modified xl/200x frame, threw a big red motor in due to the xl's kickstart being a pain in the @ss. the big red motor takes money to get it back up to 200x performance. the xl motor dynoed at 14+ stock in the trike, the big red 10 stock.....
    Suzuki ALT 50: Skeeter
    Suzuki ALT 50: full suspension kit: the grasshopper
    Suzuki ALT 125: The Toad
    Suzuki ALT 160: Was a Quad runner 160: The Tri-Runner
    Suzuki ALT 185: The Warthog
    1979 Subaru brat: daily driver almost 400k runs strong

NEED ALT 50 SEAT PAN

--
    Quote Originally Posted by leevarnado View Post
    where you notched the frame for the starter,that is the weakest spot on the 200x frame.might want to add some reinforcements to the down tube
    I agree, will need to be reinforced. Thanks for the advice.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiirider View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new 200xle.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	216617

modified xl/200x frame, threw a big red motor in due to the xl's kickstart being a pain in the @ss. the big red motor takes money to get it back up to 200x performance. the xl motor dynoed at 14+ stock in the trike, the big red 10 stock.....
    It looks like you replaced the down tube with a curved tube? Do you have a better photo of the down tube mod?
    I think the stock big red engine will work for me. I ride trails and hills and mountain roads around where I live.I never go very fast. I have a Yamaha WR400f for speed when I get the need.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by NVdan View Post
    It looks like you replaced the down tube with a curved tube? Do you have a better photo of the down tube mod?
    I think the stock big red engine will work for me. I ride trails and hills and mountain roads around where I live.I never go very fast. I have a Yamaha WR400f for speed when I get the need.
    its an xl frame and 200x frankenstein frame combo on mine, i jump alot so i bent a peice of pipe and welded it around where i notched the frame.
    Suzuki ALT 50: Skeeter
    Suzuki ALT 50: full suspension kit: the grasshopper
    Suzuki ALT 125: The Toad
    Suzuki ALT 160: Was a Quad runner 160: The Tri-Runner
    Suzuki ALT 185: The Warthog
    1979 Subaru brat: daily driver almost 400k runs strong

NEED ALT 50 SEAT PAN

--
    I have been working on the frame notch and final fit of the engine.

1. welded in a 1/8 thick steel plate to fill in where the frame was cut out. I extended it beyond the hole to allow for a stronger weld surface.

2.I made a frame tube reinforcement from 3/16 tubing. welded it on and tied it into the plate filling the notch.

attached a some photos to show the progress. Next will be final fit of the engine and clean up some of the welds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trike frame notch 6-15 003.JPG   trike frame notch 6-15 005.JPG   trike frame notch 6-15 010.jpg  

--
    New photos and update. Finished frame ,added a extra reinforcement on the down tube. Photo in primer shows the reinforcements outlined in black marker. next shown after paint.

I picked up a trx300 handlebar switch oem Honda that will work nicely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trike frame mods 7-15 007.JPG   trike frame mods 7-15 005.JPG   trike frame mods 7-15 010.JPG  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //