//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Anyone doing video security at their home?

--

Anyone doing video security at their home?

Our 30 x 50 dirt-floor pole barn is finally starting to shape up. Last fall we put in a concrete floor, and then a storm took both of the sliding doors off, so we put in nice overhead doors with openers. It's still got a roof that leaks in half a dozen places, but we're slowly but surely getting things fixed. Anyway, the trikes are slowly but surely moving out there, and that will be their new home. The problem is that it's so far detached that it would be easy for someone to run off with any or all of my equipment.

I've been thinking of regular security systems that tell you when a door is opened, etc, but then I wondered about some of the IP camera's I see on Ebay, and that got me thinking about doing that as an option, with motion detection features. Maybe the ones on Ebay are all junk, and I really would have to spend a small fortune to get good quality ones. I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone is protecting their property with video cameras? If so, I'd like to hear what you've got and how it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    God knows they're not looking to make any effort to do anything, never mind move their foot to shift. If there was something that dispensed Cheetos every time they shifted that might be a different story. Welcome to America, where the biggest is best and even fat people who are too lazy to shift can climb a mountain.

--
    I use vivint, they are spreading like wildfire and they have some cool stuff. It operates off of wifi or cell signals whichever is more plentiful. I pay $60 month for my setup which includes 2 cameras and all of my windows and doors have sensors. Hope this helps.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    $ 700.00 per year sounds high but I guess most deductibles are $500.00. I guess taking part or all of that 700 as a business expense would be still, expensive. Is that an unmonitored system? I will check it out, I got to do something. Stuffs out of hand in this country.
    That's why I haven't built a pole barn, not much a way to keep people out of it. If you have something here you can't let anyone see it in your yard. People says rural thieving has been around forever. I think it's worse, ten fold. Welcome to the american jungle. Another thread.........
    Last edited by fieldy; 05-30-2015 at 12:22 PM.

--
    Yeah, I was agonizing over a one-time purchase of a hundred bucks. I'm glad you can afford $60 a month but at $720 a year I think I'll self-insure!

What I was really wondering is if anyone had played with the consumer-grade IP cameras and if they're "good enough". I was thinking about a single camera with IR and pan/tilt that will allow me to aim it at the door on either end of the barn. One of the advertised ones says it has motion detection and uses a Skype call to inform the owner. Sounds interesting, but I'm not entirely sure how that works. There's also a wide price range. You can get them as cheaply as $50 (you probably get what you pay for) to $300+ for real pro type Axis gear, but as I said, this idea is somewhat experimental.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    God knows they're not looking to make any effort to do anything, never mind move their foot to shift. If there was something that dispensed Cheetos every time they shifted that might be a different story. Welcome to America, where the biggest is best and even fat people who are too lazy to shift can climb a mountain.

--
    Well I didn't get the system for my stuff as much as I did for my family. You cannot put a price on that in my opinion. I am the man in the house literally. I have three daughters with one on the way and travel out of town frequently. If I am home they are protected but if I'm working it's good to know that they are somewhat protected. I guess it matters what your situation is.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldy View Post
    $ 700.00 per year sounds high but I guess most deductibles are $500.00. I guess taking part or all of that 700 as a business expense would be still, expensive. Is that an unmonitored system? I will check it out, I got to do something. Stuffs out of hand in this country.
    That's why I haven't built a pole barn, not much a way to keep people out of it. If you have something here you can't let anyone see it in your yard. People says rural thieving has been around forever. I think it's worse, ten fold. Welcome to the american jungle. Another thread.........
    It is a monitored system, I wasn't a fan of the traditional monitored systems because they ran through your phone line. Someone could easily snip your line and your system is useless. Vivint is through either wifi or cellular and has back up battery if your power goes out. I can log on and check the status of the system on my phone even look at the camera feed. I like it for the price.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    I know I'm bringing up a old thread but what does every body use for camera systems around there homes and shop? For the gun thing you can only shoot them if you catch them doing in house. ��
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    I use Hikvisons cameras with Milestone software and use a home computer for a recording server. I work with commercial security systems for a living so this is one of the most cost effective professional grade setups.

--
    Where's a good place to buy them?
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    I'm not sure of the best place to buy the because I get them from a commercial supplier, I guess just look on line. This is most likely the model of camera you will want DS-2CD2132F-I. It is a 1080p fixed dome that is weather proof. You will also need a poe switch to power the cameras and to make sure you pc is 64bit. The Milestone software is free on their web site and is good for up to 8 cameras, after that you have to pay.

--
    Ok thanks I will look up those camera and that software

--
    I have a Uniden system with 4 motion activated cameras.

It records to an SD card and comes with a monitor to "live" watch whats going on.

BJ's Wholesale Club had it for about 250$ to 300$.

Cameras are a must have these days...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Im thinking about putting in a security camera.A few weeks ago there was a meth lab bust about 300 yards down the street from me. funny thing is the police station is about 300 yards in the other direction. Until this happened I didn't realy think about it. Also going to buy a couple shotguns for the house. I have seen some unfamiliar faces passing the house as of late.Not many houses on my street theres a catholic church and school and the American Legion bar .Most of my neighbors are elderly.
    250r rules

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //