//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: XR 650L project

--

XR 650L project

I picked up an '08 xr650L about a month ago. Traded my '85 atc125m. The entire top end is bad and it will need a new piston, bore, rockers, cam, and possibly a head. Bottom is solid from what I can see. It is all apart and a partial basket case but it seems to all be there. Any comments, concerns, or advice is much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    The XR650L is Honda's answer to dual sport motorcycles and there still selling them. Not much change in motor design since '88 when they introduced the NX650 electric start. The motor is fashioned after the XR600R dirt bike, in fact many of the parts are interchangeable. I must presume the reason for the needed top end parts is the common problem occurred to this one, lack of oil to the top end.....damaging the cam and rocker arms. Still a nice bike if put back together, you have a very clean looking beginning.

"HJ" Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldfogey.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	1.2 KB 
ID:	216573
    ’84 YT60
    ’85 350x (423cc) with ’81 XL500 head conversion
    ’83 XR500 (628cc) converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’73 CB750 K3 converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’86 TRX250R chassis XR650L engine hybrid
    ’89 TRX250R (stock )
    ’90 LT500 Quadzilla
    ’85 FL350 Odysses ( water cooled head )
    Lost (sold) but not forgotten ’80 ATC 110 (205cc on alcohol ) ’83 200x ( 222cc ) ’83 200x ( 185s eng ) ’85 350x ( stock )
    added to the collection recently, (2) '70 US90 Aquarius Blue and '74 ATC90 Daytona Orange

--
    Quote Originally Posted by HairyJR View Post
    The XR650L is Honda's answer to dual sport motorcycles and there still selling them. Not much change in motor design since '88 when they introduced the NX650 electric start. The motor is fashioned after the XR600R dirt bike, in fact many of the parts are interchangeable. I must presume the reason for the needed top end parts is the common problem occurred to this one, lack of oil to the top end.....damaging the cam and rocker arms. Still a nice bike if put back together, you have a very clean looking beginning.

Views:	167 
ID:	216573
    Thanks, the seller (who works at the local Honda dealership) said that the guy whom he sold it to brought the bike in with the top end syndrome. Smoking and barely running and after he was given an estimate for repair decided that he didn't want it anymore and sold it for $500. The man who i traded with said he planned on fixing it but had been having back troubles. So on and so forth, he didn't have time for it, blah blah. It's mine now, it has a clear title and I plan on rebuilding it. It's bigger than my trike motors but I think I can handle it. I took the clutch cover off to examine everything and it all looks brand new. If I had to guess I would say that it has never even had the oil changed. I will be removing the smog kit and possibly upgrading to an off road carb as I hear that is solid upgrade. I'm not going to push it much further than stock. From what I hear, these pigs are powerful off the lot.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    How many miles on the odometer? You state it looks like oil has never been changed.....real dirty or like new? Burned up top end usually occurs after an oil and filter change. Filter installed backwards or oil pump looses prime. Post a couple pic's of the head/cam/cover damage. Torque monster they are, a little heavy to through around, but not good for high speed long distance freeway cruising. Can't impress enough when all repairs are completed and on your initial first start up, verify oil supply at the top cover banjo bolt!

Views:	149 
ID:	216608

--
    Many people make the fatal mistake of putting the oil filter in backwards on these motors, thus starving the top end of oil. I would have to guess that is the case with this bike. I too have an 08 XR650L.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    The oil was very dirty, 12,000 miles on the odometer. It was an OEM filter, installed properly, but pretty dirty. Both screens had sludge, but not too much. I think it was simply ran low on old oil. The reason I think that the oil had never been changed is the filter cover bolt were all torqued evenly in what seemed to be factory spec, as was the clutch cover. It takes the same filter as my BR which is cool because I keep a lot of them around. I will definitely check the oil bolt when running. I will post a few pics of the fried parts this evening.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    Don't forget to replace the in frame oil strainer/filter.

Honda part number- 15500-MN1-670

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

--
    Ask Fabio driven what to do with that xr650. He's got the baddest one I've ever seen in my life.
    '' Mixin gas N haulin _ss''

1985 250R-310
    1985 Tri-Z
    1985 Tri Zinger-X's 4
    1973 atc70

--
    Quote Originally Posted by onformula1 View Post

Honda part number- 15500-MN1-670

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reminder, I took it out and cleaned it. Should I replace regularly or is cleaning it with parts cleaner enough?
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
    Ask Fabio driven what to do with that xr650. He's got the baddest one I've ever seen in my life.
    Oh trust me, when I was planning to acquire it that was my plan. I think I need to get it running first and I will likely ride it on 2 wheels for a little while.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmoozy27 View Post
    Thanks for the reminder, I took it out and cleaned it. Should I replace regularly or is cleaning it with parts cleaner enough?
    If its good & clean, run it

They are like $32.00 bucks (Pricey), many people don't even know it's there.

There is a guy online that blew a motor because he didn't replace the oil filter and oil, rebuilt it and didn't replace the in frame filter/strainer and blew the motor again...lesson learned.
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

--
    If its good & clean, run it

They are like $32.00 bucks (Pricey), many people don't even know it's there.

There is a guy online that blew a motor because he didn't replace the oil filter and oil, rebuilt it and didn't replace the in frame filter/strainer and blew the motor again...lesson learned.
    Sounds like something a woman would do. They just start it and go!!! Then they call you and say "Is it supposed to be smoking and shaking really bad?" Only when you drive it, darling....
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    "onformula1" yes the strainer too....also be careful as the screen will collect all the lint from cloth rags some people use to clean with during a major overhaul. Many have burned up again shortly after rebuild.

"Jmoozy27" after seeing the piston heat damage you'll need to split cases for better cleaning and inspection. Close inspection of countershaft output sprocket splines, they tend to wear due to stock narrow sprocket. I've seen worse head damage, but to re-use yours with all the heat the next problem could be a dropped valve seat. LOL parts hunting...

Views:	114 
ID:	216643
    ’84 YT60
    ’85 350x (423cc) with ’81 XL500 head conversion
    ’83 XR500 (628cc) converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’73 CB750 K3 converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’86 TRX250R chassis XR650L engine hybrid
    ’89 TRX250R (stock )
    ’90 LT500 Quadzilla
    ’85 FL350 Odysses ( water cooled head )
    Lost (sold) but not forgotten ’80 ATC 110 (205cc on alcohol ) ’83 200x ( 222cc ) ’83 200x ( 185s eng ) ’85 350x ( stock )
    added to the collection recently, (2) '70 US90 Aquarius Blue and '74 ATC90 Daytona Orange

--
    Thanks HJ, I don't think I'm going to go in the bottom end. All signs are telling me that everything is good down there. If it was a 1st gen 250r with the same problems I would likely go that route but I feel like this motor was not abused just not cared for properly and shown the right amount of attention. I think a new top end broken in properly will do the trick. I actually dropped off the cylinder and head to Rolls Cycles yesterday. I ordered a Wiseco 101mm piston kit from him w/ gaskets for $160 which I thought was better than fair. He said everything should be done by Friday of next week.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //