//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Don't scrap that Polaris Scrambler!!!!!!!

--

Don't scrap that Polaris Scrambler!!!!!!!

I am an avid collector of vintage Polaris snowmobiles and pieces that are, in some way, key to the company's history. That has lead me to purchasing a Polaris Scrambler 250Res three wheeler a while back. While out west on a trip two weeks ago, I met some great people in the vintage sled world. Some retired from Polaris, some still employed there. As I spoke with one fellow (still employed at the factory) He told me he was waiting on the arrival of his Polaris three wheeler. We got to talking about the trike and production numbers and such. He told me about the in house research he had done and those that he spoke with about the trike. His research tells him that 499 were built in May of 1985 and another 1200 were build in November of '85. This being the '85 and '86 model years. The 499 May built trikes were delivered to the dealers for sale to the public. The 1200 built in November were never released to the dealers. The 1200 were outfitted with a conversion kit to turn them into four wheelers.
    He also mentioned a recall that was issued for the 499 that did make it to the dealers. 230 to 235 of the 499 made it back into Polaris' possession. I was also told that during this turbulent time for the three wheelers of any manufacturer, Polaris was the only manufacturer to go along with the CPSC intent and have a recall and to stop production of the trikes.

So don't scrap out that old Polaris trike sitting along that fence line! Sounds like there are only 264-269 of them out there. I always knew they were not real common, but after my conversation with this fellow I was presently surprised to hear just how rare they are. I feel very lucky to have purchased a very nice survivor Polaris Scrambler!
    Just thought I'd share with the Polaris guys/girls on here.

Howdy is offline Putting Priorities in Order, Busier than ever. Catch me if you can
    --
    Polaris web site a few years ago said there was 1716 of the 3 wheelers made. Rare isn't what I would call them. Hard to find would be a better label. I have a small collection of them as does another board member ( I think he has more than me ). Scrapping them doesn't come to mind, but selling 1 or 2 this year does.
    Howdy

--
    Neat story, I never knew Polaris made trikes. I wonder how it would compare to the Honda bikes.
    85 250 ES
    86 250 ES (X2)
    87 250 ES

--
    They didn't compare.

P olaris
    O wners
    L earn
    A bout
    R eliability
    I ssues
    S oon
    my feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-hoosierlogger

TRIKEFEST 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Current rides
    Taurus 650 (green)
    85 250es big red
    83 ALT50 (5 year old daughters)
    82 ALT50
    82 ALT50
    84 atc 70 stroked big bore 90 STILL in progress.
    71 QA50
    93 TRX 300 FW

Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Ya'll are the biggest bunch of whining b!tches I've seen in my entire life.
    You might be strong as an ox, but without a cart you are just a big dumb animal.

Howdy is offline Putting Priorities in Order, Busier than ever. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by newfie atc View Post
    Neat story, I never knew Polaris made trikes. I wonder how it would compare to the Honda bikes.
    Power wise when running they are there. But they do need a lot of upkeep to say the least.
    Howdy

--
    There is one in the next town over I pass every day on the way home. It's a garage though and nobody's ever there so I have yet to make contact. I keep meaning to leave a note but have yet to. There was also a sweet old DR 175 next to it. I would of taken both!

--
    I have a 1985 Polaris 250 scrambler for sale I have been trying to sell it for a few weeks now

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //