//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Has anyone added on to their house lately?

--

Has anyone added on to their house lately?

I have been working on my house lately to get it ready to sell, when all of a sudden my wife and I had an epiphany. Why not just add on to our house and stay right where we're at?

The thought is to finish off the current garage on the house which is 21x27 and turn it into a living/family room. This would turn out current living room into a formal dining room and completely open everything up.

Adding on to the side of the current garage would be a 36x27 that would give me a 15' wider garage than I currently have and the bigger living area we were after in the first place.

I guess what my question is, has anyone done anything similar lately and what type of $ am I looking at? The garage will be unfinished inside for me to tackle that later on and save on initial cost.

--
    Location, location, location....I wish I had about ten wooded or rolling acres and had a house or polebarn house, that was far off the road. That's what I'm thinking anymore, but house selling in my area would be a real kick in the nuts now, maybe from now on?

--
    I enclosed a 12 x 36 porch into a sunroom/living room. Have I mentioned I shop HARD? Lucky enough to have a discount/surplus window door joint an hour from here. Bargain Outlet. They get the Hundreds of new leftovers from the big box stores. Anyhow, 8, 6x5 windows, 1 gigantic bay,knotty pine finish, walls and roof. An average to above average carpet.3/4 tongue and groove on the existing floor. Also outside walls,2x8 walls, Insulated to the hilt. Replaced the entire existing house roof with the best steel while I was at it,,40x60, + addition. Top of the line vinyl siding,wrapped,etc. $11,800 + sweat and labor. Just finished a 12x36 deck for my Son,composite floor, treated for everything else, very heavy to codes.. $2700, 5 feet off the ground. IF your local Lowes will work with you,, get ahold of the PRO desk. Anything over $2500 goes into a bid program for automatic discounts. A project this size?? Probably 20 % off? or more. There isn't a ton of mark up on wood. But there is on a lot of stuff. Just like racing, ounces are pounds and pounds are horsepower. Every cent helps.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    The Mrs. and myself have done some rather exstensive remolding to out pre 1900 post + beam construction house. Done it all ourselves for the most part.
    Where we started was with idea (which you already have),,, start doodling on paper on what we think we want. Refine from there on paper until you have the lay out where you want.
    Doodle some more with windows, door ways, arch ways. Move onto heating/cooling duct work then electrical lay out doodling.
    Don't sound like you will be into plumbing but if you add water to garage,,,, add it in on another set of doodle plans.
    It will give you some great quality time with the Mrs plus some really valuable input on the "her" side of it all.
    Even if it takes a month to do your lay out on paper it will be worth it IMO and from experience, it will greatly help in figuring out what your cost outlay will be.
    And of course we will all agree if you figure on 10 electrical recepts ~ add 10 more to the plans to make it 20.
    I will add in pictures of our 110 day kitchen that took us 1 month to plan tomorrow. It married the garage to kitchen so we did not have a detached garage any longer and our kitchen went from "cave" to kitchen.
    How much of the work you figuring on doing ?

--
    I've done commercial and residential construction of all trades but brick with a lot of home improvement contracting exp.

Markup is 300%

Do as much of it as you're qualified to do and you'll save tremendously. Being your own contractor will save you one third final cost minimum.

I spent a yr building tract homes that cost 24k subcontracted labor and materials cost combined. They sold for 175k. This was in the mid nineties but im sure its worse now. That's one helluva markup. Commercial properties are an even bigger ripoff.

I suggest you tackle the remodel job whether you do some or none of the work

1) you're being a good environmentalist by "repurposing" your old house. I know you strive to be a sjw hahaha

2) F#@K moving. Moving sucks.

3) you get to brag band say "I built this"

I love construction. I get a great amount of pride from it

Yamawheeler is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    If your putting stone on your house I can give you mad tips and pointer. I am a brick layer / stone mason. I love what I do and what I can make a house look like after I'm done.

--
    Well, over a year later and this project is finally underway. Without boring you the bank had us jump through every hoop imaginable, but it's underway.

We settled on adding a 30x30 garage and converting the existing garage into a family room with main floor laundry/mud room coming off the new garage. We've also decided to gut the existing interior walls and replace with all new sheet rock to match the new stuff in the addition.

The garage will have 10 foot walls and scissor trusses on the right side to accompany a two post car lift. I've always wanted one and here is my chance to build the garage around the lift instead of modifying it later to accommodate a lift.

Yamawheeler, I need help matching the existing brick. I would like to use stone verneer on the garage, but I don't know how that would work not having it anywhere else on the house?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

--

It's finally moving along nicely.

--
    That's cool, bkm. I dig these kinds of post. Post up more pictures of the progression, if you can. I was in a guys shop the other day, who had a flooring company install his floor. It's been a couple years,but I remember them spraying it on. They added "a few hand full" of glow in the dark chips. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	233956. I put a clear coat sealer on mine and it doesn't like gas.

--
    The biggest kick in the nuts for me is that I have the skill, money, and motivation but my Wife would never allow me the time to take on such a task. Therefore we are in the R&D process of a 24x24 attic addition and a 18x24 sunroom. I'll have an estimate soon and post it for you.
    Ragin' full on...

Chopsaw is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    [QUOTE=Caminofeld; I'll have an estimate soon and post it for you.[/QUOTE]

Just guessing , since the footings and foundation have been poured , and the garage framing is almost complete . He knows what it cost .

BKM . I'm a Union Carpenter . Built some of the Biggest buildings in St. Louis area . If you have any concerns pm me , I'll give you my phone number .

Chop

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //