//ArrowChat Code

Thread: What can you tell me about a 2005 CRF450R

--

What can you tell me about a 2005 CRF450R

Sold my RMZ 250 and now am going to look at a CRF450r. Just curious on common problems with the bike.

--
    The seal between the crank and transmission goes out alot, intake valves wear out pretty quick because the are soft and start cupping making the bike hard to start, the pistons gone at 75 hours max, but the cylinder plating only lasts 150 hours before it needs replated, the valve train tensioner wears out fast keep a eye on it, if the valve train is loud at idle replace it, carburetion is not great but a Boyesen quick shot makes it super, suspension is harsh and could you a revalve and stiffer fork springs, keep an eye on the air filter for sparation at the seams if you remove the back fire screen for more power only use non flammable filter oil, Hot Cams makes a couple of good cams and a muffler helps with power. That would probably be enough power for most humans after these simple mods.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

--
    I will tell you at 10 years old, if you buy the bike, take out the motor and get a complete rebuild. You will save money in the end and have something you know is good. Likely the suspension was redone at some point, the harshness is likely gone. I have a 03 that is in a quad frame, had top end/valves redone, replaced a few clutches, 2 clutch baskets. Last time the valves were checked was late 09(was redone is june 09). If the bike is high compression or doesn't start well, likely needs a valve and top end job, or just shiminmg valves. Also could mean needs timing chain and tensioner as they all related to the auto decompression system. i was always told, when high compression or hard starting, time to check valves and go from there. It seams to ring true for the most part. Very important part is to keep clean oil in it and air filter.
    Last edited by deathman53; 06-21-2015 at 12:13 PM.

--
    I'd not even waste my time looking at one...they are all beat and do not last unless you throw major coin at them.

--
    Picked this pig up. Starts 1-2 kicks cold. one kick hot. Checked valves everything is in spec. And for how much I ride it will do me just fine. Fresh filters oils bel ray in it. New bars and grips with a new chain sprockets tires and some graphics wont be a bad looking pig. Still better than the 04 RMZ 250 I had for reliability. Since those where known for being so reliable. Never had a problem with that bike was fun till all my buddies went to 450s

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //