//ArrowChat Code
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25

Thread: New to me...1985 200X....metal shavings in the oil

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    ok, I just watched the video and i could EASILY hear it missing on top end, however, it is obviously much better.

I would post a photo of your plug now and my "guess" is that part of it will be very dark . . Either way, my guess kis that you are two main jet sizes from having it run perfectly on top and I would try the 125 and if its worse, I would then try the 135.

Once it runs perfectly, oil the filter and check kit out again after maybe at least 10 minutes of riding . . If the plug is dark, install just one size smaller jet.
    ivi

BigRedGrizzly is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    AIR FILTER OIL

I would put oil on your air filter AFTER you are 100% done testing because it could make it run slightly richer.

You "can" use engine oil, however, it can get sucked off of the filter into the engine easier than regular foam filter oil.

K&N filter oil is designed for their filters which are cotton . . It may work fine, however, I would use a foam filter oil . . All motorcycle shops and probably Walmart will carry it . . You "might" find some at an auto parts store.

OIL APPLICATION [For the air filter you pervs.]

"Borrow" some latex gloves from your work if you haven't yet.

I pour a few strips of oil from the front to back of the filter around 1 1/2" apart then pour a few strips in the other direction around 1 1/2" apart.

Squeeze the bejesus out of it.

Place the large end down on a pan and let it sit for at least 10 minutes.

Squeeze the oil out of it that has migrated to the end.

Your done.

JETTING AND CARB AND ENGINE MISS

I am on my computer instead of my phone now so its easier to type.

What it looks like is that your 30 year old air filter was so restrictive that it basically caused the carb to be rich by a around a whopping SEVEN main jet sizes I say seven because if you had left the filter from hell on there, the 118 jet likely would have still been maybe one size to large, however, we circumvented doing that test by installing the happy, new, color matching, Uni Filter.

Because your old filter was so plugged up, the jetting went WAY lean when you installed the new one as clearly evidenced by your almost snow white plug which is likely why it still had a miss . . An extremely rich engine will "seem" to run similar to an extremely lean one so even though it still ran like crap with the uni filter, it was most likely because it was then too lean . . This is another reason I mentioned that only one thing at a time should be changed . . Obviously the filter needed to be changed so doing that was the correct thing to do, however, you gave up on the old carb also at that point which is why I mentioned that it should not be condemned just yet.

I am the type of person that likes to know exactly what the cause of a problem is/was, and I would not be happy having a carburetor sitting around that I didn't know was any good or not . . If I know it's good I will put a tag on it or use it on something else or sell it or keep it for parts etc but at least I would know exactly what its status is and exactly what the root cause of the problem I was working on was.

AIR FILTER LID TEST

Here's the deal on the lid which I partially mentioned earlier.

It is possible that your engine may run better in the upper end of the rpm rage without it even though it runs fine now . . If you want to try and get a little more power in that range, I would do at least the following.

Riding tests need to be performed EXACTLY the same way every time to generate consistent and useful results.

1. Ride along at around 1/3rd throttle in second gear then quickly/instantly slam it all the way open . . Do this a few times to get a feel for it.

2. inspect the plug for color.

3. clean plug.

4. remove the lid an d repeat steps 1 and 2.

5. post results.

If the plug looks lighter with the lid off, you will definitely get more power without it after it is properly rejetted.
    Thanks, Barnett. I'll continue the tests on the old carb in a week or two. I'm just really happy to have a properly functioning atc to ride. Thanks for summarizing the problem and solution. It helped get a grasp on the big picture.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    I just had a thought which was that at least one of the reasons the previous owner might have sold it was because it ran so crappy and if he had installed a new filter, it obviously would have run better and he either might not have sold it or would have asked a lot more for it.

i actually got a killer deal on a nice 1967 mustang fastback with a newly rebuilt engine because it only ran on 5 cylinders and the owner assumed it was the engine which he couldn't afford to fix but i knew would be easy for me to fix even if it was, but the first thing i thought it might be was the cheap spark plug wires he had on it, so spent $20.00 on a set of real plug wires and installed them and it instantly ram perfectly.

i sold it a few days later for a quite a tidy profit.

--
    So far...I have learned that extremely lean and extremely rich engines can run similar and air filters can be more restrictive than I imagined.
    I would try the old air filter on the new carburetor if the old filter was holding together enough to test it. Just to see how restricted it was. That may tell you if the other carburator has a shot at running.....if this carb with a 130 runs the same as the old carb with the 130 did with the old filter.....you know what im saying?
    Glad its running now and your brakes work well, Good job!
    Yes fine tuning is required still.
    Last edited by fieldy; 09-20-2015 at 01:06 PM.

BigRedGrizzly is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Hi guys.. So I got the carb back in that was causing this problem. I put the 125 jet in and have been running it with the air box lid off. The break up in the high RPMs are still occurring. I haven't checked the plug yet. But I will. I'm going to send it back to FlyingW to inspect. In the meantime I sent him the one I purchased off eBay so he can give it the treatment. Hopefully he can figure out what was up with this carb. I'm curious to know. I'll get a pick of the plug tomorrow.

--
    ok, xlnt but if you have a big drain bolt on the bottom of your carb you can just remove it and try another jet . . remember, if the plug is dry and black, it's too rich.

--
    I scrolled thru your post on my phone earlier and thought i saw say that you could barely ee your spark and someone mention that it might be your stator but i cant find that now.

anyway, as i mentioned a few hundred posts ago, i put the bike in a fairly dark place like the garage with the door part way closed then lay the plug on the head with the wire attached and turn it over . . if the spark is pale blue but clearly visible, it is xlnt . . if it is yellow but clearly visible it is xlnt . . if it is yellow and barely visible you have a prob and it needs to be corrected . . irregardless, if it is faint then try closing the gap on the plug by around .008" - .010" and see if it looks better then leave the plug gap there and try it . . you do NOT want the gap to be less than around .014".

if you have a crappy spark and you ohm tested the coil in the stator, post the number you got.

as someone mentioned, the stators can get rusty or dirty so take it apart and if it is heavily rusted or extremely dirty, it will not generate as much voltage so clean it up then check the spark again.

if the spark still sucks AND your lower coil has lots of ohms/resistance, then your stator flywheel may have lost magnetism . . you can get them re-magnetized but if you have good spark on one of your other bikes and the flywheel will interchange, then just try the one from the good bike.

feel free to post a video of the spark if you want . . get as close as you can with the camera without it getting fuzzy.

i guess we are waiting for a spark plug photo also from the old carb, 125 main jet, new DRY uni filter, and no air box lid test, is this correct?

--
    I scrolled thru your post on my phone earlier and thought i saw say that you could barely ee your spark and someone mention that it might be your stator but i cant find that now.

anyway, as i mentioned a few hundred posts ago, i put the bike in a fairly dark place like the garage with the door part way closed then lay the plug on the head with the wire attached and turn it over . . if the spark is pale blue but clearly visible, it is xlnt . . if it is yellow but clearly visible it is xlnt . . if it is yellow and barely visible you have a prob and it needs to be corrected . . irregardless, if it is faint then try closing the gap on the plug by around .008" - .010" and see if it looks better then leave the plug gap there and try it . . you do NOT want the gap to be less than around .014".

if you have a crappy spark and you ohm tested the coil in the stator, post the number you got.

as someone mentioned, the stators can get rusty or dirty so take it apart and if it is heavily rusted or extremely dirty, it will not generate as much voltage so clean it up then check the spark again.

if the spark still sucks AND your lower coil has lots of ohms/resistance, then your stator flywheel may have lost magnetism . . you can get them re-magnetized but if you have good spark on one of your other bikes and the flywheel will interchange, then just try the one from the good bike.

feel free to post a video of the spark if you want . . get as close as you can with the camera without it getting fuzzy.

i guess we are waiting for a spark plug photo also from the old carb, 125 main jet, new DRY uni filter, and no air box lid test, is this correct?
    Yes sir. That is correct.
    The problem with this thread that it is referring to two trikes. The problem with the spark was on the 200X. The spark was barely noticeable in the dark. I replaced the spark plug coil and it has been resolved since then.

I'll get a pic of the plug tonight.

--

Here is 3 pics of the SAME plug. This was run with the alleged "blubbering carb" with a 125 main jet, dry air filter, and no lid on the air box. Still blubbered got higher in the RPMs before it did so.
    Looks a little lean. What do you think?

--
    OK, just going off the plug, i would say its definitely lean on the main.

the color on the end of the threads on the left look a little darjer than the one on the right.

how much time is on this plug?

did you actually ride it?

i would go up 2 sizes so up to a 130 if you have it, otherwise, try the 128 and after that test, install the air box lid and try it again, but you need to ride it also.

--
    exactly how big is the plug gap? . . it looks too small.

we need the answers to the spark test i suggested also.

--
    I have a 1985 Honda board to 67 mm with a Wiseco piston 10 to 1 compression 200s cam DG exhaust my question is do I have to upgrade the carburetor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //