//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: New to me...1985 200X....metal shavings in the oil

--
    good eye mike, those retainers are not OEM, noticed that off the bat, but you got me with the hardweld cam. BTW, that cam is ghandi....as jmoozy suggested, webcams.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

BigRedGrizzly is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Hey Jay... I'll look into the piston size tomorrow. The rockers appeared fine to me but I'm a novice. I'll take a close up pic tomorrow. I found where the cam chain was rubbing.

BigRedGrizzly is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Ok. Thanks guys... I'll definitely be replacing the cam. I had no idea it was not original. When I took it out I did notice an engraving in it. It was like WB13013 or something like that. How can you tell about the valve springs and retainers? Color? Shape? I'm curious to know also.

--
    By the time I'm done with this, I feel like I'm going to owe you guys a bunch of beers. May be trikefest next year. I'm grateful for your guidance. Thank you.

--
    Those retainers look just like my webcams titanium retainers. Most definitely not stock. Somebody tried to hi-po that motor before. Do you have a set of calipers? I am curious of the bore size. When/if you send off for a new cam, send your rockers into webcams as well to get them checked for previous hardweld. If they haven't been done they need to be. My guess is that's a high profile cam with heavy springs which means easy wear on OEM rockers.
    Last edited by yaegerb; 06-25-2015 at 11:48 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedGrizzly View Post
    Ok. Thanks guys... I'll definitely be replacing the cam. I had no idea it was not original. When I took it out I did notice an engraving in it. It was like WB13013 or something like that. How can you tell about the valve springs and retainers? Color? Shape? I'm curious to know also.
    Mike and Brennan have been in these motors many times over. Probably way more than they wanted to. I didn't notice any of that as I have never opened up a first gen motor. If that motor had aftermarket mods then it has likely been bored before. I wonder if it has a higher compression piston.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    How were the piston rings? I'm also curious if there's any seepage from the valves and if there was any "ridge" in the cylinder.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    No a small exhaust leak will not cause a noticeable reduction in perf.

There are two major aftermarket cam mfg’s for bikes . . their contact info is below . . I suggest you contact them and see if either can identify the exact grind by the WB13013 number on it . . This may help guide you in your cam selection . . Also, in general, installing sa bigger cam basically raises the entire rpm range which creates a loss of bottom end power which needs to be compensated for by increasing compression . . It looks like you have a big cam and obviously a stock compression . . A higher compression piston should have been installed with this cam for optimum perf and you could still run 91 octane gas.

http://www.megacyclecams.com/

http://www.webcamshafts.com/index_bl...le_search.html

I would not plate the cylinder, its overkill and just another thing to peel off and fail . . A properly built engine with good oil will last years . . Keep this in mind . . If that is a stock piston, it has 30 years of use with probably less than the best quality oil in it and it is [or was] still running “decently”.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    If you're not sure what the carb is you can post photos part numbers, bore size on exit side and look inside to see if the bore is round or oval . . The stock carbs are too small for performance builds.

--
    Check the cam chain tensioners for wear.

Some high quality oem Japanese type parts are made by Shindy

http://www.shindypro.com/atv.html

Some nos parts can be found at the site below.

http://www.cmsnl.com/

--

If you want to increase longevity, you can send your piston out to have the skirts coated with a lubricity coating.

http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/

This is a 10.25 wiseco piston . . it is the highest compression I would use for 91 octane.

--

New to me...1985 200X....metal shavings in the oil

I stopped out in the garage this morning to snap some pics and take some measurements.
    I believe the piston to be stock at 65mm. Cylinder diameter matches.

The cam looks like the engraving reads WB613. I think there was a company called White Brothers who manufactured cams and exhausts. They still may exist. I'm wondering if that's what the WB stands for? Here are some close up pics of the cam with a scale.

I'll talk a closer look at the carb after work but I'm pretty sure it's OEM.
    Last edited by BigRedGrizzly; 06-26-2015 at 10:06 AM.

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    the little cam pin is still available just order it online or go to you local dealer or shop and see if it isn't in stock if not have them order it so you don't have to pay shipping. there not expensive like 5 bucks if i remember correctly

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Oh and yes that is the stock piston the numbers 965 indicate a 65 mm piston which is the stock size.

--
    so likely that's a white brothers cam. Good aftermarket stuff back in the day. I would send that cam to webcams and have them tell you the profile and see what they have to match. My guess is it isnt' too radical, likely a mid-range cam. Don't forget to send in your rockers to check for hard weld and if it hasn't been done, get it done. Then, as Barnett suggested above, since you are running stock bore, you really aren't getting much benefit from the higher profile cam. I would punch it to 66MM. You will have a nice little machine with a 66MM/mid-range cam and exhaust. If you leave the stroke the same you will gain around 4MM of displacement and it will now be a 197cc rather than a 194 and you should get some low end torque back.

Here's the piston I would get.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiseco-Pisto...8420f5&vxp=mtr

Its gonna give you the displacement with a manageable compression ratio so you aren't married to race gas.
    Last edited by yaegerb; 06-26-2015 at 10:52 AM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //