//ArrowChat Code
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: New to me...1985 200X....metal shavings in the oil

--
    How do you think that paints gonna hold up on the tank? Rattle can paint doesn't really hold up to fuel well at all

BigRedGrizzly is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I have no idea... I know little to nothing about painting. I hit it with a verathane lacquer to try to help protect it. I was considering a stage 1 paint, but I don't have the setup for that right now. I guess I'll find out how this stuff works. Good or bad.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedGrizzly View Post
    I have no idea... I know little to nothing about painting. I hit it with a verathane lacquer to try to help protect it. I was considering a stage 1 paint, but I don't have the setup for that right now. I guess I'll find out how this stuff works. Good or bad.
    It will be harder to. Scratch with the verathane I suggested but it will still scratch easily . . this is why I suggested the clear adhesive vinyl on the sidr add . . they make thin and thick for kitchen drawer liners available at home depot etc . . there is also one specific for paint too . . you can find it on Google search . . let your paint dry several days before applying so it won't remove paint when you take it off

--
    I'd clear coat the crap out of it. And put it in a oven to bake on that'll help it cure better than just sitting outside

BigRedGrizzly is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I'm expecting some parts in for the engine towards the end of the week. As I was going through the process in my head I realized I didn't order a gasket for the valve cover. When I was looking it up I realized why. There wasn't one listed on the micro fiche parts finder thingy. I'd imagine that a gasket is required, no? There was the red silicone gasket on there previously. If I have to go this route again does anyone have a suggestion on type and technique?

--
    Check out bikebandit.com or hondapartshouse.com for an aftermarket engine gasket kit. My trike has some sort of silicone used as a valve cover gasket and it does not leak. If it ever begins to leak, I'm going for an aftermarket gasket kit.
    Wanted:
    1985 200X OEM Airbox Thin Vacuum Line
    1985 200X OEM Swing Arm Skid Plate

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    There is no gasket because you are supposed to use a product called hondabond or 3 bond. You will have to purchase some either off the internet or the honda dealer or local motorcycle shop should have some.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Yamabond is the original car sealer next to schellac and is every bit as good as Honda bond if notv bet and is probably. easier to find
    Most Yamaha dealers as well as probably amazon sell it.

--
    Case sealer . . I have no edit button because I am special

--
    Put like a 1/8" bead down? May be a little less?

--
    It will compress and spread out when you start torquing down the valve cover. You don't want excess getting into the motor and blocking an oil channel, or worse. I have always made a bead that is 1/4 the width of the mating surface. Never had any issues because you don't need a ton of it to make a proper seal.
    Wanted:
    1985 200X OEM Airbox Thin Vacuum Line
    1985 200X OEM Swing Arm Skid Plate

--
    Thanks Horse. Sounds good.

--
    I put a paper thin coat on both surfaces . . in fact they should seal without sealer in a perfect world but of course they won't . . you might use some extra in the corner if it goes around a round rubber seal etc

--
    Hi all... I just heard back from WebCam. They said the cam that was in there is a really old White Brothers from like 25 years ago. She knows this because it didn't have a date on it and they started dating them a long time ago. She also said it was a monster cam. Built for top end.. Flat track racing. That explains the really weak bottom end. She was shocked to hear it was running a stock piston. She also said the journal was pretty much not worth being repaired. I had to pay a core charge but the lady was kind enough to give me a break on the rocker arms hard welding and the cam. She recommended the second stage cam which will bring that low end power pack. Good people over there at Webcamshafts.com.

--
    Xlnt, that is the set up I suggested which I think yeagerb said he has . . if you advance the timing as I suggested and you still want a little more bottom end power, you could try a 3 tooth bigger rear sprocket . . a one too the smaller from is a bigger change but it is easier to do.

You will benefit from a carb that is bigger than stock also . . I would go up by 2 to 3 mm as I mentioned earlier plus a carb with an accelerator pump will work well.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //