//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: New to me...1985 200X....metal shavings in the oil

BigRedGrizzly is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

New to me...1985 200X....metal shavings in the oil

Hello all... I finally found a 200X what appears to be in pretty good condition. After completing my regular ritual (after getting a new bike) of cleaning the carb and soaking in ChemDip, dropping in a new plug, and getting it running well I drained the oil. Bad news... Found metal shavings in the oil filter and oil. The oil was very thin. It looks like the head was off at some point since there is red silicone gasket visible. It runs and idles well. It feels like it's lacking the power my 200s has. The X definitely doesn't wheely as easily. I'm not I'm not 100% sure what my next move should be. I've heard from some that a complete upper and lower rebuild is required. I have also heard from others that it could be a loose cam chain rubbing on the case or common shavings after a upper rebuild. My plan as of now is to putz around on it for a week or two and drain the oil again to see what's up. I adjusted the cam chain tensioner so if that was the problem I expect little to no more shavings. Unfortunately I don't know any of the history on this thing. Chassis is sound. Engine has me concerned. Any guidance on which step or steps I should take next would be appreciated.

BigRedGrizzly is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I would probably pull the motor and check the top end and then inspect from there. if its lacking power it probably needs a new set rings anyway.

--
    Excessive silicone on the topend clogging the oil passages or the rod bearing might be going .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    That's a nice looking 200x. If you paid around 800 bucks for it, you are still ahead of the game even if you have to rebuild the top end.
    Wanted:
    1985 200X OEM Airbox Thin Vacuum Line
    1985 200X OEM Swing Arm Skid Plate

--
    Daryl, you can always pull the motor to rebuild it and throw the less used 200s motor in there for now. It should practically bolt right up. I would go ahead and pull the top end for inspection purposes. If anything is questionable, go ahead and rebuild it that way you know what you have. It may just need a camshaft and new rockers but if you go that far, well, you know the routine. Don't be discouraged, its still a good find in that physical shape. It may just be time for a doctor visit. Let us know.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    Thanks, Jay. I'm planning to give this bike a big overhaul over the winter. So... I guess I'll get a jump start on the motor this summer... I'll have the 200s still so it will serve my 3 wheel needs until the X is complete. I've never taken down a motorcycle engine before so I'm a bit intimidated. I'll be doing some reading and self education. Seems like there are great resources here.. Which is nice.
    Ok...Step 1. Drain oil and remove engine from bike. Sounds simple enough..

--
    You can find service manuals for the 85 200x online for free. It details the removal of the motor along with several other things you'll need to know when doing the overhaul.
    Wanted:
    1985 200X OEM Airbox Thin Vacuum Line
    1985 200X OEM Swing Arm Skid Plate

--
    Great.... Got it. Thanks.

--
    You should be able to handle it Daryl. Most fold up when asked to clean a carb. You have done more than that thus far. Just take your time and ask questions.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    And reference the manual if you are not sure or even if you are sure because you are bound to miss a washer or something somewhere done the line.

--
    Thanks guys.. I'll literally be studying the manual before bed for at least the next week or two. I have some work to do on my son's *cough*quad so that will keep my evenings occupied. For those who have gone down this road, can you recommend any special tools I may need or parts I should pre-order. I do have the fly wheel puller already if I need to go that deep. The bike has a DG exhaust system on it so hopefully the nuts will come off the studs without too much of a struggle. I'll be soaking those down daily and nightly. I think there might be a bit of an exhaust leak there too. That would account for some loss in power too, right? How best test that? I was thinking of getting a little smoke or powder in the air and see if it moves. What about spraying the area with soapy water?
    Thanks guys for the tips. I'll keep you posted as I get going.

--
    I've seen thru your threads that you maneuver around things well so this rebuild. ...........you'll be fine. Couple of things....

I'm not over concerned with shavings in the screen as much as I am with the apparent power loss....which could be both of the same. Take a magnet to it and determine if it's steel or aluminum. If it's aluminum the chain might be the culprit.

Make sure the valves are adjusted proper and then run a compression check. If low try to determine if it's valves or rings. Your 200x looks nice so a complete rebuild is ideal.

I know you clean the carb but an phosphoric acid clean/dip would be ideal for the small passages.....and of course compressed air.

one thing I've learned over the years with Honda and Suzuki singles......singles in general for that matter is slight changes to carburetion, intake, flow, compression can have big detrimental effects on power and power delivery. Perhaps needle positions, jets, etc were changed improperly when the exhaust was added. Has the airbox been altered in any way? Does the carb look normal in general? Just things I'm thinking about. I'll be working on my 85 200x when I get ahead on my HT-1 so I'm looking forward to your progress.

--
    Good call on carb adj. When I got the 3 wheeler, the pilot screw was turned out like 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 turns. I thought that was a lot so I set it to factory setting. It runs and idles well. Like I mentioned it does have the exhaust and I noticed the lid of the air box is drilled out. I believe both of these mods are increasing air flow so it makes sense to increase fuel flow. Will just making it richer by turning out the pilot screw do the job or should I get a bigger main jet?
    I'll have to confirm the shavings as aluminum tomorrow after work. I have fish them out of the oil. I adjusted the cam chain tensioner but I'll check it again and check the valve clearance.
    I'll also drain the oil again and see if I'm still getting shavings.
    Thanks for tips and encouragement.

loganm is offline Competing with a gnat in reading comprehension. Current winner: Gnat. Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Dunk it in the pond and roach it out, then sell to some dumb teenager that doesn't know anything.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //