//ArrowChat Code

Thread: redneck engineerin

--

redneck engineerin

winch on the trailer died, was time for an upgrade. I have a big warn 9000xi winch that hooks via class 3 hitch. My original plan was just to weld a receiver to a piece of beam and bolt to trailer. I stumbled across a hitch at the junkyard and it looked like it had the height needed if I flipped it.
    trailer

hitch, note it wont fit the angle of the trailer frame

A bit of plasma cutting, opened up the lower bracket and bent to fit, making a big (V), removed legs and move them to correct angle

filling the spacing cut back in

I don't claim to be a welder

but I can grind!, welded legs back on to correct angle too

Winch mounted, this thing feels like it is over 100lbs, note the soda can

First test will be to pull the dead crawler on

criticism is accepted!
    Last edited by plastikosmd; 06-22-2015 at 06:16 PM.

--
    Shoot I was figuring a pto driven winch with a water cooled Diesel engine.

--
    Fine job, and yer welding's better than mine by a long sight!

--
    All welding credit goes to the mig. It is an easy machine to use. Next is to mount a battery. I think I can trickle charge off of one of the trailer connections to the truck. Not sure which pin in the round type connector. Anyone got any idea?

--
    The 7 pin??

The 6 pin is usually 1 to blue for the electric brake from a brake controller.

A 12V fused hot to power the trailer or camper (usually black on the equipment end)

A 12V neutral (white on equipment end)

Other 3 or 4 wires are for Rt. turn, Lt. turn, stop light, and a neutral. Usually grn, yellow, brown etc etc.

Lots of times the center pin is not connected. I recently learned this, I had expected it to be neutral or positive fused. You could use that wire and run a fused wire from the battery to that connector.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Ya 7 pin, will check for power once I get the truck back

--
    O.k. bud. The seven pin usually only uses 6 and the center pin doesn't seem used much.

But 1 should be hot all the time even with the key off. That and a nuetral/white should be there for you to use.

I just had to redo mine from the brake controller, the cold side of the brake switch, the Toyota Tacoma 4 wire stock towing package and it was a PITA but easy now that I understand it and your a very smart person. Lots of stuff on the WWW, and some people just match color to color but the POLASK round plug is common and under 10$ on the net. You just need your multimeter but every bulb shows resistance so neutral can throw you off. I just found the larger gauge white wire om the equipment plug.

People should use the colors identified/molded into the plug as they are all listed. But from 1 plug to the other plug is good enough for most people. It can just be hard for other people to figure out at 1st.

I didn't have a wiring diagram but it's easy for someone like you.....

Steve
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    I would have fryer to keep the winch behind the end of your deck cause you are going to loose about 1.5 to 2 feet of deck area cause the winch will be in the way when pulling something long on the trailer(I have been there and done that) just my .02. You still did a good job of repurposing a old recever
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    I wanted to ^but I need to add a bigger front box and battery. I lost about 8" of deck, but I hear u it adds up. I plan to add a second receiver on top of current one. ( u can see it in the grinding pic.)

This will be set back. This way I keep the winch on top and a hook on the bottom to use as a second pull point for a block. I can then reverse winch for travel.
    Last edited by plastikosmd; 06-23-2015 at 06:54 PM.

--
    I swear we all have a bit of mechanical engineer in us at times, just minus the math and physics. More of a "hey this should work attitude". Looks good to me!

BTW if all the metal in your "junkyard" looks as good as that hitch I'd love to check it out. That thing looks like its almost new.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    well, it pulled up the dead crawler just fine. dunno if I posted pics of the new winter ride. new ram hauled it well, then drove to 10 hrs to go get another mini dozer. oliver oc3 with loader for fun. Need to drill some new holes in the hitch, it hangs about 3" too low.

--
    Looks like it worked great! I still cringe when I see those tracks on asphalt, lol. Whenever I did any pulling with my old Warn 8274(?), I'd always use a snatch block. More pulling power and slower line speed. Maybe put one in your tool box for the tough pulls.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    yep, got a block. still haven't welded that fixed point below winch to hook back onto. also need to seal the deck and climb under and gets some por15 on the rails

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //