//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 82 Honda Big Red have questions

--

82 Honda Big Red have questions

Just picked up this 82 from a nice gentleman for $400. It runs great....starts up easily and stops nicely. The tires only hold enough air to go back and forth down the street so a more elaborate ride I did not do. I initially purchased this BR for my wife but she is skeptical. I like the electric start and the clutch less shifting. A few items it needs is a battery, air filter element, and tires. I also feel a full carb cleaning and chassis lube and oil change is in order. My knowledge of atcs is admittedly limited. The PO said he use to use it to launch his Waverunner so if my wife wants something different this purchase is not a waste. With the high low gearing it kinda feels like a tractor in low.

So if I could pick the brains of 3WW I have a couple questions.

My intention is to purchase some tires of like size. 25x12.00-9. The rear wheels are different and will replace with a more stock set up. Is this tire size the largest made? I was going to go with the balloon type on all 3. Is that a solid choice? I say balloon because the ohtsus on my 200x s are more narrow and quicker steering and seem different.

Any know weak spots/problem areas on this model to look out for?

thank you in advance.

--
    Other than the occasional ignition issue from time to time they are really solid trikes. Clean oil at the proper level is mandatory as with all machines. Pull the right side cover and clean out the screen and rotor from time to time. Btw, that's a good by in my book. It looks like it has been cared for.

Duro knobbies are the closest you will get to old school balloon tires IMO. Good tire for the price too.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    The weakest link on the old big reds is the front suspension. They're basically just springs so keep those seals in good shape. Most of them are trashed.
    The fenders are hard to find in nice shape and it looks like you have some good ones.
    Nice trike!
    82 250r
    83 Big Red
    85 Auto-x
    If you've done business with me please leave me feedback
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ght=Bren_downe

--
    I have nothing to add as an answer to any of your questions.

I would like to say that you scored a helluva good looking machine for $400. Bravo!

--
    Thank you gentlemen. The first order of business is to get the tire/rim situated. I need to to this so I can roll it around without breaking my back......and also get a little longer ride.

--
    If that Hondaline toolbox was included in the deal then that is a solid chunk of your 400 right there
    1982 Honda Big Red 200e
    1985 Honda 200x- sold
    1986 Honda 125m- sold
    1986 Honda Big Red 250es

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGREDGUY View Post
    If that Hondaline toolbox was included in the deal then that is a solid chunk of your 400 right there
    Thanks for,the info.....I didn't know that. It was included and what was in it is a camo hondaline atc cover. It's has ATC on the side and Hondaline and Honda on the front and back. It has a little rust on parts but is a nice piece.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    Thanks for,the info.....I didn't know that. It was included and what was in it is a camo hondaline atc cover. It's has ATC on the side and Hondaline and Honda on the front and back. It has a little rust on parts but is a nice piece.
    Cover It and take some where do you find these deals???
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmoozy27 View Post
    Cover It and take some where do you find these deals???
    This from the guy that finds killer deals???

You do quite well yourself.
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

djm0242 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Dude that's in great shape at first glance. That tool box pulls in $400 by itself on eBay. The camo cover too if Hondaline! Pretty sweet sir! I almost forgot! Take a look at the rear wheel hubs be sure they are good and tight on the axle. That can be a problem. If the PO only backed it into the water and parked it for long periods of time then the rear axle bearings might be questionable. Same on the front, while the front tire is off you might as well put a set of new bearings in. It's a PITA to have to come to the realization after mounting your new tire to decide that you should've done it before. Pump that axle housing full of grease and clean all threads mercilessly before reassembly. You'll be glad you did in the long run. If you decide you want to sell that front tool box let me know
    Last edited by djm0242; 07-01-2015 at 02:30 AM.
    79 110
    83 185S
    84 250R
    3x85 Big Reds
    85 200X
    85 ATC 70
    85 Tri-Zinger
    86 200x
    86 TRX 125
    87 TRX 250
    89 TRX 300
    98 TRX 450S
    03 TRX 350
    5 Foreman 500 4x4's
    You can never have enough! ATC250ES is still the best!

--
    Steal of a deal even with out the tool box and cover! I picked up a ragged smoker for $250, only difference is I stick to the 84 model as it is shaft drive instead of chain drive. I'd say check your chain out and make sure it isn't getting too loose.

Only real issues I know of for the 200 big reds is the CDI boxes seem to be failing due to age more than anything. There are posts about replacing the connector and "upgrading" to a Chinese CDI box that uses a 4+2 style connector which is what all the newer machines use.

I'd suggest buying the tires, fluids, and battery local as shipping can be a real killer. Shipping batteries are a bit tricky due to the acid.

Good luck and enjoy the great machine you have there. That low range isn't on the 250es big reds sadly, only thing I wish mine had vs the 200e/s.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by onformula1 View Post
    This from the guy that finds killer deals???

You do quite well yourself.
    True, but mine always need to be fixed, and are 2 wheelers mostly. But I'm not complaining.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    This is the cover that was crammed into the toolbox. It's probably been in that box for years. It dosent seem to fit just right......probably because of the storage box over the front wheel. It seems to fit nicely over the 200X so I will put on that so it might flatten back out a little.

Thanks DJ for your input. My wife is not a real big fan. Maybe because of its current state it dosent seem welcoming to her. Maybe once I get all the tires up and cleaned up perhaps then she'll warm up to it. But your right...there's nothing like a reverse for getting out of stuff and this trike is heavy.

--
    That is one of the nicest 82s I have ever seen!! Very nice setup!!!! Love the tool box!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    That is one of the nicest 82s I have ever seen!! Very nice setup!!!! Love the tool box!!!
    Thanks for the comment. I live in San Diego and drove up to Laguna Niguel to pick it up. If I remember correctly I thought he said he also had some hondaline spotlight or something like that but could not find it.

Ps2........I'm with you on the shaft drive. DJ was saying the same. Ideally a reverse would be great for her but I will clean this up and get it up to speed. The person I purchased it from was a real nice and helpful guy. One thing he kept telling me was how he towed this and that with little effort. He would park the rv then take the waverunner and launch it.......kinda going down making a u turn then breaking backwards. He said as long as you have traction...no problem. I know this might be old news to a lot of folks here but to me it was news to me.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //