//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Need 85 Tri-Z help

--

Need 85 Tri-Z help

I picked up a 1985 Tri-Z the other day and scrambling to get everything fixed on it in the next couple weeks. So I may have more questions after this one. I took the swingarm off because the bearings are completely shot. The bushings are not even in it. I have a bearing and seal kit on the way. My question is, can the outer race of what's left of the needle bearing be pressed out all the way through? Or is there a "lip" or "stop" inside the swingarm where the bearing stops? My plan was to take a socket and piece of all thread and just press it all the way out.

poolieZerUK is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    you can press it through but it may be easier to rip out inner race then feed a hack saw blade through and re attach it to the saw body and chop the bearing into segments and it will fall out with a few taps from a punch

--
    Quote Originally Posted by newby200x View Post
    My plan was to take a socket and piece of all thread and just press it all the way out.
    This is the method I use to remove/install swingarm needle bearings. It works like a charm!
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    What's the difference between the 85, 85.5 and 86 year Tri-Z's? My frame is an 85, the motor is a 5 speed 85, the swinger on it I came to find out is an 86. Also, the shift shaft seal is leaking oil like crazy. Has anyone replaced that seal before w/o removing the shaft?

oile is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    There's an difference in bearing you need to know what year your Swingarm is and that is easy to find cause they added more material to the swingarmClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150711_172536195_HDR.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	218758this is an 86 Swingarm

--
    So if your Swingarm looks like this you have an 86 Swingarm and that's what year bearings you need to buy and there is no such thing as an 85.5 they just had two color options in 85.

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150720_115617.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	218760this is an 85 No brace 86 has this brace

--
    That's how I found out I have an 86 swinger...bearings came in and didn't fit. Any other differences other than swingarms, 5 or 6 speed, and the coolant overflow?

--
    Forks are bigger diameter on 86. triple has an different angle from 85. Air tube is different in 86. The rear fenders bolt up different in 86 rear shock set up is different in 86. Make sure your shock isn't hitting the swingarm.

--
    Ok, thanks. You have any experience w/ the shift shaft oil seal? As long as the seal could be taken out fairly easily w/o removing the shift shaft, I think replacing it would be a breeze.

--
    Well I usually change my water pump while I have that side cover off I change all my seals out. Have you checked your pump the impeller is made out plastic and usually break off the shaft and spins.

--
    Corey Sprock makes a billet impeller that's the way I go

--
    Quote Originally Posted by newby200x View Post
    Ok, thanks. You have any experience w/ the shift shaft oil seal? As long as the seal could be taken out fairly easily w/o removing the shift shaft, I think replacing it would be a breeze.
    To remove any oil seal, where you don't have access from the inside to push it out, simply screw a sheet metal screw into the face of it, and pull on the screw to remove the seal. Be very carefull not to go to deep with the screw, or damage the internal/external sealing surfaces.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //