//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Random 1980s racing pictures

--
    @barrnett468 - Sadly i have almost no photos from 1985 or 86 because by then my Dad and retired the camera in favor of stop watches so he figure out where i was gaining or losing time on the track so we could improve on my lines or the bike setup. Somewhere we had a VHS tape of the full event from the San Diego Sports Arena, i did not race that event as i think i was injured or something but i remember George having really good races there with Mickey, Marty and others.

You are the #29 Tecate if i am correct, yes?
    Big Bear GP
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img063.jpg 
Views:	881 
Size:	355.2 KB 
ID:	217957

Name:	img081.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	217958
    Corona Raceway

Name:	img082.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	324.1 KB 
ID:	217959

Name:	img083.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	353.6 KB 
ID:	217960

Name:	img084.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	351.1 KB 
ID:	217961

--
    If you have a good VHS tape Bryan Raffa that is on Face Book and he can make it for YOUTUBE viewing. He did my riding tape and 86' Porterville that came out good. If you need his info I'll pm it to you, he sends the tape back unharmed so I'm sure everyone would like to see San Diego Sports Arena race. I know I won the 200 class and Marty got 2nd behind me but I don't remember if Jimmy won the 250?

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Neary View Post
    @barrnett468 - Sadly i have almost no photos from 1985 or 86 because by then my Dad and retired the camera in favor of stop watches so he figure out where i was gaining or losing time on the track so we could improve on my lines or the bike setup. Sadly i have almost no photos from 1985 or 86 because by then my Dad and retired the camera in favor of stop watches so he figure out where i was gaining or losing time on the track so we could improve on my lines or the bike setup.

You are the #29 Tecate if i am correct, yes?

Big Bear GP

Name:	img063.jpg 
Views:	881 
Size:	355.2 KB 
ID:	217957

Name:	img081.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	217958
    BIG BEAR

Most xlnt . . yup, that be me…and unfortunately…that be you in front of me in the second photo, lol . . I like that photo though . . You can see your inside tire off the ground . . That’s some hard chargin right there.

I clearly remember your name on the BACK of your shirt where it was EASY for me to see from my position BEHIND you which was on more than one occasion I’m sure, lol.

Yeah, it's unfortunate you don't have any photos for yourself from the other years.

Somewhere we had a VHS tape of the full event from the San Diego Sports Arena, i did not race that event as i think i was injured or something but i remember George having really good races there with Mickey, Marty and others.
    SAN DIEGO

I would be greatly indebted to you if you ever had the time to somehow download the San Diego race to youtube and pm it to me or something or post it on trikesville ect. . Until that race, I was using knobbies for the races including the short tracks at Corona . . After I unloaded my bike, at that race, Jimmy came over and looked at my tires and told me he had some better ones I could have, so I got some used Hoosiers on Mitchell rims from him and bolted those on . . Then I saw a couple hot looking chicks so I started talking to them and they told me they were the trophy girls and they were quite friendly, so I had some plans in my head, lol.

Well the race started and I hole shot it with the nice Hoosier tires that Jimmy had just given me, lol, and as I came around still in first place, I looked at the trophy girls in the stands and gave them the piece sign hoping my impressive start and uber “coolness” would impress them which I hoped would benefit me after the race.

Well, since I was bit distracted, I ended up getting passed by Jimmy [which would have happened anyway] and a couple other guys, so I probably ended up around 5th . . After the race I was pretty tired and had a 2 hour drive back, so sadly, I left the trophy girl dream behind me as I headed back home.

Anyway, thank you very much for making the effort and taking the time to post those for me . . I assure you I greatly appreciate it and wish I could return the favor.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    barrnett468 You are the #29 Tecate if i am correct, yes?

Corona Raceway

Name:	img082.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	324.1 KB 
ID:	217959
    Yes John, that photo above is also me . . Is it from the 2 or 3 hour long Corona GP? . . I don’t remember doing another race there but I don’t remember a lot of things these days, lol . . James Degaine really wanted to win that Perris race for some reason so he got Jimmy, and Donnie to ride and asked me if I could also because he wanted to run a 3 man relay team . . James knew I was used to going wot for an hour at a time because of all the endurance testing we did on the bikes plus he saw me testing on the Saddleback Baja course a little while before the Corona race and was taking my lap times [I had no idea why] so I’m guessing that’s why he asked me.

So, low and behold, guess who is also at that Corona race? . . Yes it’s the Team Honda guys, and as usual, they came out with their big fancy truck and had a huge awning and space heaters and dancing girls etc, but at this particular race, all we had was a small box van and tiny awning that was barely big enough for the four of us and we had to leave the bike out in the rain, lol.

In spite of all of Honda’s creature comforts and big expense accounts and factory works type cylinders etc, Jimmy got the hole shot and we led from start to finish.

Anyway, if that is not the GP, then you probably beat me there too, lol, irregardless, can you please tell me what race it was and who any of the other riders are if you happen to know? . . I would think that the guy with the number 2 on his bike would have to be pretty bold to put that on there if he wasn’t “somebody”.

Thanks again and have a fun and safe 4th.

--
    I remember reading about you guys back in the day in the Dirtwheels mags. I raced localy back in 85 here in NY. I still have my my 81 and 85 250r racers from back then. Iv been racing again here in NY with Bryan Raffa ,Fred Morrell,Pistol Pete Thompson and some other guys.I remember reading a couple articles in DirtWheels about you trimming the front fenders from your quad and it increased your lap time.Its great to see you on here sharing your adventures about trike racing and your pics. I also think you deserve a star next to your name.
    250r rules

--
    Forgot to mention Rob Selvy and Kenny Roberts are still working their magic at BDT Motorsports in California. Rob is a member on a trx 250r site. They do some great work their I sent them my 85 250r cases for repair and the look awesome.
    250r rules

--
    Some more randoms

(1)Start of the 200cc main at the flat track nationals in 1982

Name:	img190.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	345.9 KB 
ID:	218107

(2)Doug Reiswig riding the cushion on his 185s, Cycleland Speedway 1982

Name:	img192.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	423.7 KB 
ID:	218108

(3)Speedway 117 Baja Cross,1982. Not sure why Wax has his Honda 110 with him but pretty cool to see he put a front disc brake on it. Looks like Tracy Dickson is about to smack Stevie Wright upside the head, maybe not.

Name:	img193.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	303.9 KB 
ID:	218113

(4)Only existing photo of my CR500 powered 85 250R seen here at the Riverside Score World Championship in 1985. You can see it used a cut down 82 250R fuel tank and the radiator is off a Kawasaki Tecate to make room for the jumbo engine. Bike was fast but the front end was very heavy feeling and the vibration made my hands go numb.

Name:	img195.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	218115
    Sadly i crashed in practice soon after this photo was taken after hitting a downed rider on the other side of a blind jump and bent it up so badly we parked it for the rest of the day and i raced another bike.

(5) Bad start against that many riders would be hard to recover from.

Name:	img196.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	297.8 KB 
ID:	218118

(6)I count ten factory bikes, two Franks and Mickey's Powroll...plus whatever we cant see behind the bleachers.

Name:	img199.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	375.4 KB 
ID:	218120

(7) King Dean pulling a holeshot

Name:	img202.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	285.5 KB 
ID:	218121
    Last edited by John_Neary; 07-07-2015 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling error

--
    Third time to ask.

Why doesn't Neary have a star yet?

Somebody really should put all Neary`s pic threads in one place for reference purposes.

Consolidation is your friend.

Thanks again, Mr. Neary.

--
    I wish I could see the #1 pic better. I think I was there but I had a xl 175 converted into a 3 wheeler. I never got any pics of it. I think I was running 4th before the coil mount broke.

It's nice to have you on here with some fresh pics no one has seen. Good job!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Third time to ask.

Somebody really should put all Neary`s pic threads in one place for reference purposes.

Thanks again, Mr. Neary.
    Amen to that, or do we need to sign a petition??? Maybe Barnett can get one too if he rejoins with his full name. Billy could even throw in a nice fresh edit button as a signup bonus

--
    Yeah taking away his edit button seems to have only increased his post-per-thread count....and his thorough (long winded) diatribes......unintended consequences?

Wtf is your full name, Barnett?

I see Mickey "Dunlop"(lol, I bet he hates that) doesn't have a star either. Did they just quit doing that?

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

--
    @ironchop - I was only making a new thread for the unique bikes and from now on will be posting most stuff here. Just was hoping to make it easier on folks doing a google search to find the page on like Eddie's Suzuki and the Franks bikes without making them skim thru 50 pages of a general picture thread.

--
    @ironchop - I was only making a new thread for the unique bikes and from now on will be posting most stuff here. Just was hoping to make it easier on folks doing a google search to find the page on like Eddie's Suzuki and the Franks bikes without making them skim thru 50 pages of a general picture thread.
    I assumed you had a method behind your posting choices and I was absolutely sure the reason you mentioned was the reason. I agree it makes searches easier. I`m just lazy.

You do it however you want to, John Neary. I WILL adapt. Thanks for the killer pics. I didn`t know how many different custom racer builds there were so early on the sport. I`ve received an education for sure.

A fella can wish, can`t he?

--
    I think they did away with the "Star" thing.....

Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Third time to ask.

Thanks again, Mr. Neary.
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Pauter PJ1 / Springer "Team BAPP" Bike *

* 1980 ATC 110/180 "Danny's Machine Works" 3D Sprint Dune Bike *

* Nicholson 500 Race Bike *

* HPATC Yamaha RD350 "Big Moe" Trike *

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Dunlap View Post
    I wish I could see the #1 pic better. I think I was there but I had a xl 175 converted into a 3 wheeler. I never got any pics of it. I think I was running 4th before the coil mount broke.

It's nice to have you on here with some fresh pics no one has seen. Good job!
    Could this be it???

Name:	hondaxrtrike.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	218137
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Pauter PJ1 / Springer "Team BAPP" Bike *

* 1980 ATC 110/180 "Danny's Machine Works" 3D Sprint Dune Bike *

* Nicholson 500 Race Bike *

* HPATC Yamaha RD350 "Big Moe" Trike *

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //