//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Backup Bike

--
    Do you prefer the palm sander VS. a DA sander?

What did you spray on the sandpaper?
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by onformula1 View Post
    ^ Do you know of a compound that cuts fairly smooth aluminum, but with casting lines and pits better than a black compound.

Not sandpaper, kind of between?
    I can't tell you which it is, but I know they exist. A lot of what a compound can do is related to what you have it on. A heavy cloth wheel with enough power behind it can cut into metal with a fine compound on it. On the other hand a course compound on a wool buffing wheel will hardly remove a small scratch. Find a place near you that works with brass and ask them what they can recommend for you. I had a green bar of something here that worked great, but I used it up and because I don't have a powerful polisher I try to minimize my buffing by taking everything down to 2000 grit paper first. After that you can polish by hand with Mothers.

--
    Do you prefer the palm sander VS. a DA sander?

What did you spray on the sandpaper?
    I use a palm vibrating sander with water. Air is the way to go, but I use an electric with a lot of care.

--
    As always, thank you for your time, I am getting better at this polishing thing and always looking to do it faster/better.

Pretty soon I am going to have to find something else to learn.

I am probably going to get back into custom cone pipe building because that's always a blast!
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

--
    Finally together and running properly. Aside from the porting, the plug, the low compression, the and PV adjustment the O-rings on the PV were swollen. They likely got hit by brake cleaner at some point on the last rebuild, so they were holding back the mechanism. Unfortunately I stripped the screws on one of the retainers and had to weld a bolt onto the small stripped head of bolt. That was a mess to clean up.

When I fired it up it ran great on the pilot circuit and then started burbling and breaking up. I'd put 1 size smaller jets than the base jets KTM recommends which is still a little richer than what I run in my other bike, so WTF? I pulled the carb and replaced it with the one from my trike (same 38 PWK) and I was making the change I decided to check the needle. Turns out it's the same needle KTM recommends for sub zero riding. I removed it and put in a blue JD needle I had.

Fired the bike and it ran 95% better! Went for a few laps around the block and ended up dropping the needle one notch, going down another size on the pilot and another on the main. Once jetted I went 1.5 turns in on the PV spring adjuster and it now pulls clean from zero and breaks the tire loose on pavement half way through a third gear roll on.

I'm not thrilled with the look. I was hoping to leaving it without decals, or any orange, just black and silver with lots of polished parts, but it just doesn't work on a dirt bike, so custom decals are on the way. Here it is for now. My riding buddies have dubbed it "Mad Max".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM 300 New 100.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	220443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM 300 New 106.JPG 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	220444Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM 300 New 109.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	220445Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM 300 New 146.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	220446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM 300 New 149.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	220447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM 300 New 154.JPG 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	220448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM 300 New 152.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	220449

--
    Looking good, it sounds like the engine worked out. Very cool.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

--
    Still not quite done to what I want, but getting closer. I think the frame might end up orange now that I step back and look at it. Picked up the black tank for $30 bucks it really makes it all come together with the decals. Company is called Decal Works and I can't say anything other than "WOW" about their work. Perfect alignment with all holes and lines and the material quality is superb.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM 004.jpg 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	222251Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM 006.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	222252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sept. 30 2015 013.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	222253Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sept. 30 2015 019.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	222254Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sept. 30 2015 012.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	222255

--
    Looks pretty cool. I do not know if you know this but the 03-06 or 07 style tank shrouds seat rear fender/number plate are a direct swap i have seen on a few of the older bikes. Either way looks nice. Funny how 18" rear wheels look meaty on today's bikes but years ago they didn't. I am looking to do similar things with my YZ426F back up ride.

--
    Perfection as always. Gorgeous ride..
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    The number 13 is interesting, Pro's never touched that number and it was skipped by the AMA, but when Ricky Johnson landed it on points after his wrist injury and used it, I did too. It was great because when I went to a different track it was always open and I didn't have to change numbers.

It was a lucky number for me.

The bike looks great, but is the backup bike supposed to look better then the standard ride?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    Looks pretty cool. I do not know if you know this but the 03-06 or 07 style tank shrouds seat rear fender/number plate are a direct swap i have seen on a few of the older bikes. Either way looks nice. Funny how 18" rear wheels look meaty on today's bikes but years ago they didn't. I am looking to do similar things with my YZ426F back up ride.
    I know the front fender fits (I use a 2009 style) but was unaware of the other plastics. The rear's I like best are the 20o9, but the rad covers with the diamond shape I don't like at all. I have two spare sets of minty orange plastics, so I don't think I need any more for now. The 2012 plastics look like someone was trying too hard to make a change. Maybe I'm just too old to "get it" I still think the 1983 RM 250 is the sexiest bike ever made

If you like a beefy tire look at a 2.50" wide rim in black along with a 140/80 18". The combo of black on black with the wider rim is pretty cool, but I went back to the narrower rim because the Tubliss set up was losing air every day and even faster if I ran under 12psi. The guys at Tubliss were surprised it even sealed at all. Anyway, run one with a tube, the combo looks great.

--
    The number 13 is interesting, Pro's never touched that number and it was skipped by the AMA, but when Ricky Johnson landed it on points after his wrist injury and used it, I did too. It was great because when I went to a different track it was always open and I didn't have to change numbers.

It was a lucky number for me.

The bike looks great, but is the backup bike supposed to look better then the standard ride?
    I was born on the 13th and have worn it in every sport I could since??? It's not always available though, there's a few of us out there looking to claim it at events. It's on every lotto ticket I select as well. Maybe that's why I never win?

PS. The standard ride may be getting a makeover soon as backup bike does seem to have raised the bar, but backup bike will NEVER be as accessorized as the long hauler.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    I was born on the 13th and have worn it in every sport I could since??? It's not always available though, there's a few of us out there looking to claim it at events. It's on every lotto ticket I select as well. Maybe that's why I never win?

PS. The standard ride may be getting a makeover soon as backup bike does seem to have raised the bar, but backup bike will NEVER be as accessorized as the long hauler.
    Keep in mind, you are a great guy, very talented, very smart and you are a hard core builder- Never say never

Sometimes you get that itch! May I remind you it's not your fault, that's what I tell my wife... she's has bought it for 23 years... how I don't know! & she's smart.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //