//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Backup Bike

--

Backup Bike

I’d been looking for a backup bike for a few months with the idea that it would be something I could use on the enduro tracks without subjecting my long distance bike to the abuse of bent pipes and perforated cases. It also gives me something to ride when doing a rebuild or waiting on parts. The hope was that I could find a twin to my 2002 as I have a fair stock of parts and interchangeability of wheels and suspension would be nice.

Yesterday’s paper had this at the top of the bike ads, so I went to see it. I was floored! I would have never imagined a 13 year old dirt bike could be in this condition, especially after the condition I bought my first one at the tender age of 7 years.

It came with an aftermarket pipe and stinger, rad guards, skid plate, Boyesen reed block, soft seat, brush guards, Trail Tech headlight and IMS foot pegs. The chain and sprockets seem to be original and the factory chain guard that typically gets ripped off on the first ride is still on it. The tank is hardly stained! (maybe he’s been running straight gas?)

On the not so great side the oil looks a tad creamy, but it may just be from sitting and not a water pump seal, the fork seals are weeping slightly and it didn’t want to rev out when I took it around the block. Could be the 5 month old gas, a plugged jet or maybe a stuck power valve, but rather than speculate it will get torn down to the frame once the Tri-Z is back together.

This bike may end up being the long hauler based on what seems to be about 3,000 hours less use than my current ride.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM 132.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	217915Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM 138.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	217916Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM 137.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	217917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM 142.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	217918Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM 136.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	217919Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM 131.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	217920
    Last edited by El Camexican; 07-04-2015 at 07:08 PM.

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    That is a nice looking bike! My back up bike has 27 speed twist grip shifting and pedals.

--
    Nice that's for sure. Ive seen some of the older KTM come across and always been curious on how they ride without that rear linkage and all?

--
    I have 3 of them, they all ride good. The faster guys like the linkage from what I understand, its more veristile and can work in fast whooped out stuff and slower also. That is a nice looking bike. I have a 98 200exc, 06 450exc and 07 250xc(converted to 300 w/ sx cdi and head). Like them all, the 98 definitely needs suspension improvement, nowhere close to 06 or 07.

--
    Wow, What a ride. These little rewards in life make the daily grind almost worth it lol! Enjoy her! When the Tri Z's back together he said........
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Congrats, very clean Katoom, K-Style!

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

--
    Thanks for the replies guys.

90guy and Deathman, I would be the first to agree that the non-link suspension is not what you'd pick given a choice, especially for a pro level rider, but at 49.25 years of age the only reason I'd ever have to charge into a set of whoops is if my aging eyes trick me into thinking I'm on a flat straightaway.

However it is far and away better than the Monoshocks which pioneered the single shock transition. Properly set up (which the pre-2014 WP PDS aren't) they can be phenomenal. Mine was built by Jeff Slavens and it feels better than my buddy's stock 2013 link and worlds above my other buddies 2009 stock PDS. However I'm told that the 2014 WP suspensions come out of the box like nothing before them. Based on the rock scars on my buddy's 2013 linkage I can see why they went back to the straight shock setup.

I see no one asked what I paid for it. Good thing as you might not believe me

--
    The bike came down tonight. Starting to think I could do a Fonzarelli rebuild on one of these.

I tried to get it to run properly before I tore it down. I started by cleaning the carb and replacing the fuel, nope. Changed the air filter, nope. I pulled the pipe and looked for a plugged pipe or power valve, nope. The piston looks new and the valve is clean. I switched out the spark arrester/silencer for a straight one, nope. Adjusted the power valve to factor specs, nope. Screw it! Down she came, but just before I pulled the engine I thought I'd check the compression. Nothing special, about 140psi, but look at this plug

Name:	KTM 300 -2 - July 23 2015 028.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	218922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTM 300 -2 - July 23 2015 029.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	218923

What is that? Is that as hot a plug as I suspect it is? The gap was set at .044". I'm wondering if this could be the issue. It started great and ran decent to 1/3 throttle and then just stopped there like there was a rag in the carb. Regardless, it's getting a rebuild, I just wish I knew what was causing the condition before I set out to fix it.

Name:	KTM 300 -2 - July 23 2015 035.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	218924

--
    Man that plug is just crazy! cant say I have even seen one that looked like that before!

--
    That's an automotive plug, and yes, it's as hot as you think it is! I don't think it's causing your issue, however. Sounds ignition related, but I would be looking more at stator and cdi. Great news I know, the parts that have no cut and dried test procedure.
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1985 ATC250R

--
    Tore open the engine today hoping to be the first in, but, somebody else beat me to it. and sleeved the cylinder! Typical Mexican rebuild; "O dios mio, whatever shall I do with this slightly aluminum smeared nikasil cylinder? Clean it with acid??? Hell no! Lets bore out the greatest metallurgical invention of the century and stuff an archaic cast sleeve in here!" Followed by; "And let's not match the sleeve with old holes, or even the chamfer the ports!"

Wonderful. Fortunately the tools I made up to work on my Tri-Z cylinder fit very nicely in the 72mm larger hole. There is one messed up area I'll have to leave as is, but the rest will clean up with a few hours of work. In other good news they didn't gap the rings properly, so they are better than new (too small), just need to be gapped and the piston needs to be prepped, it's like new as well. Its a Wiseco and weighs a fair bit less than the Wossner I had kicking around.

The con rod seemed a little loose, so I split the cases and while I can see someone was in before and managed to score the crank seal surfaces of the cases the innards are mint. The clutch basket doesn't even have dimples! I have a spare crank with a fresh rod on it, so that will go in. Looks like there may have been a crank seal leak on the wet side as well.

The "Don" that put the thing together set the cylinder up.010" too high (KTM uses multiple base gasket thickness to get the piston head flush with the top of the cylinder) and retarded the ignition timing, so between the lack of compression, partially blocked ports and a spark plug I've never heard of you'd think it might run like crap, but not as bad as it was. No, that seems to have been caused by a .050' gap on the reeds when "closed". They will seal when sucked on, but in a relaxed state the gap is huge. I'm thinking this has to be the cause of the low reves. I should be able to get the engine together this weekend, but there's a locking clip missing from the power valve, so that will require a week or two to get, but it can be added in the frame if I get that far.

This is supposed to be the "spare" bike, but I'm getting some ideas for it...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Tore open the engine today hoping to be the first in, but, somebody else beat me to it. and sleeved the cylinder! Typical Mexican rebuild; "O dios mio, whatever shall I do with this slightly aluminum smeared nikasil cylinder? Clean it with acid??? Hell no! Lets bore out the greatest metallurgical invention of the century and stuff an archaic cast sleeve in here!" Followed by; "And let's not match the sleeve with old holes, or even the chamfer the ports!"

Wonderful. Fortunately the tools I made up to work on my Tri-Z cylinder fit very nicely in the 72mm larger hole. There is one messed up area I'll have to leave as is, but the rest will clean up with a few hours of work. In other good news they didn't gap the rings properly, so they are better than new (too small), just need to be gapped and the piston needs to be prepped, it's like new as well. Its a Wiseco and weighs a fair bit less than the Wossner I had kicking around.

The con rod seemed a little loose, so I split the cases and while I can see someone was in before and managed to score the crank seal surfaces of the cases the innards are mint. The clutch basket doesn't even have dimples! I have a spare crank with a fresh rod on it, so that will go in. Looks like there may have been a crank seal leak on the wet side as well.

The "Don" that put the thing together set the cylinder up.010" too high (KTM uses multiple base gasket thickness to get the piston head flush with the top of the cylinder) and retarded the ignition timing, so between the lack of compression, partially blocked ports and a spark plug I've never heard of you'd think it might run like crap, but not as bad as it was. No, that seems to have been caused by a .050' gap on the reeds when "closed". They will seal when sucked on, but in a relaxed state the gap is huge. I'm thinking this has to be the cause of the low reves. I should be able to get the engine together this weekend, but there's a locking clip missing from the power valve, so that will require a week or two to get, but it can be added in the frame if I get that far.

This is supposed to be the "spare" bike, but I'm getting some ideas for it...
    Trike conversion?
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by onformula1 View Post
    Trike conversion?
    LOL! NO! That would need to be a 380 if it ever happened.

--
    When my shop was open. Dad would literally laugh out loud... They don't bring you ANYTHING. Until, Dad,brother,cousin,Uncle Joe,Jim Bob,His cousin and three of his friends get their hands in there and F up every singe thing they can ,,, THEN, They bring it to get fixed.. I think this may run much better when done . I assume the barrel going back on will be Nicked?
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    When my shop was open. Dad would literally laugh out loud... They don't bring you ANYTHING. Until, Dad,brother,cousin,Uncle Joe,Jim Bob,His cousin and three of his friends get their hands in there and F up every singe thing they can ,,, THEN, They bring it to get fixed.. I think this may run much better when done . I assume the barrel going back on will be Nicked?
    It's amazing isn't it? Some people (me) have mechanical problems the minute a fly craps on something and others can ride around until a wheel falls off, oblivious to the fact that not a single bearing, seal or gasket isn't F'd up on their ride.

I'm going to clean up the cylinder and use it as is for now. I'll keep my eye open for a good one too. The power valve set up is worth more than a cylinder, but once it's bored you can't go back (at least not properly). At my age and with this bike being for the shorter rides it may even last me the rest of my life. Sad to think that. I was out in a public riding area this morning and of 30 guys I think I was the oldest one riding. There was one older guy there but he just came to watch. Aging sucks!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //