//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Franks KTMs three wheeles on the race track

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Since I worked at kawi and know some of the riders I can say with certainty that kawi never did anything under handed or play dirty per se during my time there and even for some years prior . . it simply wasn't their mind set and in fact kawi never put pressure on any riders to win . . its actually almost as. Though they didn't care if the riders won . . at least they didn't want them to win by riding dirty etc. . . after Hondas attempted blatant rip off of the Loretta Lynn ATV race factory Honda rider mike coe went to the KAWASAKI pits.. . also jimmy white said that Honda riders were allowed to practice and tune the day before some of the races but everyone else was not . . if anyone has any knowledge of kawi acting poorly I would be interested to hear about it.

--
    LMAO,,,for those that don't know. In the hayday of the racing, Whenever there was a big race in town. The rental fleets suffered tremendous losses lol...I heard about the Ferrari, that made quite the impression. You certainly lived fast lol! Your Dad and you boys should write a book lol. Small market, but great stuff!
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Daryl bassani thrashed a few . . brad lackey drove one around an MX course at night after a race then drove it on the beach and got it stuck in the surf . . harry klemm was a bit more conservative and simply wanted to see how far ours would rev so he left the pedal on the floor for around 10seconds in first gear once it started to spit and sputter . . we mistakenly thought it was a good idea to let him drive . . apparently our golfing and golf cart driving talents were not up to club standards at a course near Loretta Lynns place because they less than politely asked us never to return . . and going to a restraunt was always fun .

--
    I think the rule of thumb back then with rental car abusing was to make sure you got it from a airport rental place since they would be less likely to walk out and check the car at return, get the walk away insurance add on if it was offered and to make sure you only did this at out of state races. Since i mostly raced the west coast rental cars did not get used as much because most the industry was based in SoCal.

I have not a single bad word to say about Team Green, everyone from Bruce Stjernstrom and James DeGain at the top, Jimmy and Chris the riders and mechanics like Reid Nordin they all where polite, friendly and raced fair. I did not get to know Steve Mendenhall well but i had some great races against him and he was a heck of a good rider. Chris i knew eariler from his Honda days riding for Rob Selvy when they owned Corona Raceway Thursday night flat track racing...in till George showed up and corrected that.

Jimmy was always a bit of a hero of mine, even when i was racing against him, and he was always friendly towards me and would not do the normal factory guy thing and hide in his boxvan all day.His nickname for me was "Killer" after i said that word out loud when i heard they planned to invert the start of a big race we where all at and my crappy 8th place heat finish suddenly put me on front row pole. It was in good humor and makes me smile thinking about it.

Not sure Jimmy and George got along so well but George was someone who used anger to motivate himself and at the races he always walked around looking like he wanted to murder someone, seriously.

This is after finishing second at San Jose in 1982 behind Mike Coe, about as happy as George ever looked.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img121.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	335.6 KB 
ID:	218037

Two thumbs up for Team Kawasaki.

--
    Wow, George had the game face down pat...... I heard that about him. How is he doing these days?
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Hey john . . you sure seem to know an awful lot about where to rent rental cars...hmmm lol . . yes I know even if one didn't participate in such events it was hard not. To hear if not witness some of the exploits . . Bruce stjernstrom was off the hook . . we spilled several um uh beverages together and I have some other interesting stories about him that I doubt he told his wife lol . . James was a bit more conservative or responsible should I say but still fun to be around . . even the motocross manager was deceptively fun but because of his high profile he had to appear to be reserved in public. . yeah jimmy seemed laid back to me to without an air of superiority and he would be courteous and talk to anyone that came up if he wasn't busy . . corona was a local track for me so I rode many MX races and a grand Prix there on bikes . . the short track there was my first race on a 3 wheeler . . I think Chris was there that night and won . .his bike broke another time so I loaned him mine which was just a harry klemm top end kit and he hole shot the race by a mile . . I didn't talk to him but he was really quiet . . I liked him a lot...

--
    Thank you for the additional pictures and info!! This a very exciting thread to me!!
    Wikipedia "All Terrain Vehicle" Definition excerpt
    Other smaller or lesser known companies, such as Tiger ATV, Franks, and Cagiva, produced racing three wheelers, but in much smaller numbers. Few of these machines are known to exist today and are highly sought by collectors.

Check out my Tiger 3 wheeler Webpage..my quest for a TIGER MUSEUM started 2004 http://sites.google.com/site/tigerrotax/home

Rides: TIGER Factory line up, Tricky Dicks Cagiva 200, 4- Franks 3 and 4 Wheelers

--
    Thank You for sharing John!!!!!!!!

I have to edit just say I felt how amazing you guys are NOW!! Were trying to revamp this sport the best we can; But you guys were the pioneers,testers and racers.......

The history your shaving is phenomenal!!

Thanks again!!
    Last edited by Dirtcrasher; 07-06-2015 at 10:42 PM. Reason: PROPS!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    @Atc007 - George is doing great, he runs a tractor service in town that gets work all over the area doing landscaping and other construction work. Makes him a good living and it gives him the winters off for hunting, his main hobby since he stopped racing. He he has hunted all over the globe including Africa and has gotten into falconry and bear hunting with hound dogs so it all keeps him busy and happy.

He will being turning 50 next year and he looks pretty much the same as in the photo. Funny enough i was the first one to start getting some grey hair and he is three years my senior.

Some more photos of the Franks KTM 250 with the Simons upside down forks or as Steve Simons called them "UDX" forks.

George at Saddleback Park

Name:	img142.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	218058

Name:	img143.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	317.2 KB 
ID:	218059

Name:	img144.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	284.0 KB 
ID:	218060

Name:	img145.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	311.7 KB 
ID:	218061

Name:	img146.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	327.9 KB 
ID:	218062

George at Pomona Mickey Thompson

Name:	img172.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	367.6 KB 
ID:	218063

Myself racing it at San Jose in 83 in the open class..do not recall how i did.

Name:	img173.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	308.7 KB 
ID:	218064
    Last edited by John_Neary; 07-07-2015 at 12:32 AM.

--
    Bit more Franks

Can-Am 200 mix of tracks

Name:	img076.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	218303 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img177.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	218305 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img251.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	341.8 KB 
ID:	218306

Rotax 250 Watstonville Offroad Nationals

Name:	img071.jpg 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	218304 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img253.jpg 
Size:	284.6 KB 
ID:	218307 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img254.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	323.8 KB 
ID:	218308

KTM 250 Pomona Fairgrounds (not a bad crowd of ppl if you look at the stands)

Name:	img179.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	275.3 KB 
ID:	218309 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img181.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	218310 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img184.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	218311

--
    Second pic, top row is at Big Bear. I am number 211 on the Cammex 200 water cooler. I had jetlag bad that day and struggled at that race. Thanks for posting up all the pics John. Neat stuff.

--
    I met Wes McCoy at Speedway 117 in 1982 and in just about 15 seconds I knew he was a dick.

--
    I second that comment. Wes McCoy did give me a countershaft sprocket at a race in Louisiana (indoors) Baton Rouge I think.

--
    Wes at the Santa Cruz '83 Off Road Nationals. (All Business! LOL)

Name:	1983SCNat.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	218409
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Pauter PJ1 / Springer "Team BAPP" Bike *

* 1980 ATC 110/180 "Danny's Machine Works" 3D Sprint Dune Bike *

* Nicholson 500 Race Bike *

* HPATC Yamaha RD350 "Big Moe" Trike *

--
    It takes a big azz hat to hold that ego!!!
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //