//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Franks KTMs three wheeles on the race track

--
    Say what you will about Team Honda and Doug Richards (my ex father in law) but with out them you must remember that none of the racing would have even happen with out them. Fact! I don't disagree with anything that was said, Doug did what he had to to make every thing happen as it did. In the end he got sued by a mini rider and he lost everything because the kid got protested for having a big motor after he won the race. The man gave his sole to bring ATC racing to what is was.

--
    Mickey, I get what your saying about Doug. There is always two sides to a story, and generally people have their reasons for how they conduct them selves, good bad or otherwise.

I don't understand what you mean about Doug losing every thing because some kid won a race with a big motor. Without de railing the thread too much, could you please clarify that, it's a little confusing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My toys 85 KXT250A2, 85 ATC250R, 85 Tri-z 250, 06 LT-R450, 04 YFZ450S, 07 125 typhoon x 3, 06 FPV GT.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by OZQUAD44 View Post
    Mickey, I get what your saying about Doug. There is always two sides to a story, and generally people have their reasons for how they conduct them selves, good bad or otherwise.

I don't understand what you mean about Doug losing every thing because some kid won a race with a big motor. Without de railing the thread too much, could you please clarify that, it's a little confusing.

Someone protested the kid that won the mini class and they found he had a big motor so the kid lost his first place. Well the kid had a break down the mom and dad claim because of this so they sued Doug. After about 15 years back and forth in court they won a big law suit against Doug and they took everything he had, house and all.

--
    That is appalling. If that is the case, the lawyers, the judge, the parents and dare I even say it, the law itself all need a swift kick up the backside for being so pathetic. Life really throws up crazy stuff at times.

My toys 85 KXT250A2, 85 ATC250R, 85 Tri-z 250, 06 LT-R450, 04 YFZ450S, 07 125 typhoon x 3, 06 FPV GT.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by OZQUAD44 View Post
    That is appalling. If that is the case, the lawyers, the judge, the parents and dare I even say it, the law itself all need a swift kick up the backside for being so pathetic. Life really throws up crazy stuff at times.

Yea my wife has worked in law offices all her life and it's crazy what people sue over. This was just sad because it was the dad that had his motor built and cause the kid to go through this. I guess they were able to prove it in court, but who was to blame is a different story. I think Doug should have gone to court, but it was in Ca. and he lived in Wash. so he didn't go to every court date. He trusted his lawyer, BIG mistake!!!!!

--
    @Mickey - I had no problem with Doug as a person and really it was just a rock and a hard place for him to be stuck in with Honda as a major series sponsor who also had a high budget team competing in that series and they abused the power it gave them. Aside from that i have nothing but respect for all the hard work Doug, Gene and Roy put in to try and make the races happen.

The AATVA races are the only time we got to be the headliner, rest of the time we got the second class treatment with either the motocross or offroad car guys being the center of attention so i will always be grateful for the races like San Jose and San Cruz where we where the stars of the event.

--
    Hi john could you please give us your thoughts on the differences between racing trikes (three wheelers) , quads, and two wheelers.

I raced quads for a numbers of years in many formats. MX, flat track (TT without jumps), speedway, super motard, and off Road.

--
    @OZQUAD44 - Gary Denton summed it up best when he said a dirt bike is a stool, three wheeler is a chair and a Quad is a couch. I always felt three wheelers are better "race" machines than Quads because it is so much harder to put in a perfect lap on a three wheeler so the lap times between a good rider and a so so rider on three wheelers was far greater than on Quads where pretty much anyone can jump on one and feel comfortable. Three wheelers are much more on edge and take more skill to ride quickly than a Quad, imo.

I was never on the level of speed with dirt bikes as i was at with ATVs, it was more i just loved riding dirt bikes and racing was more of a hobby on them. Personally i compare dirt bikes to like snow skiing where if you start at a really young age you are gonna have a major advantage over someone who tries the sport at a older age. ATVs did not seem to have that limitation and so are easier to get into racing them and not feeling so like a fish out of water at first.

I was a late bloomer on dirt bikes, my first real motocross bike was a 1985 CR250 when i was 15 so i missed out on all the mini bike years and it took me a good three or four years before i got "fast" on two wheelers and by that time i had ruined my left wrist and right knee and those injuries held me back more than my speed did.

Personally of the three i would pick three wheelers as my favorite to race, dirt bikes as my favorite to play on.

--
    I get what your saying. Compared to a quad, a trikes take a bit more work, but when you get it right it's very rewarding.

I think that is the attraction of them for me. I'm working at putting together some local three wheeler racing here in Western Australia. Nothing locked in yet, so I don't want to jump the gun just yet, but it would be awesome to finally scratch an itch that has been building for 30 years.

phantomtracer is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Great stuff, what a crazy story about Dave Richards!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Neary View Post
    @Mickey - I had no problem with Doug as a person and really it was just a rock and a hard place for him to be stuck in with Honda as a major series sponsor who also had a high budget team competing in that series and they abused the power it gave them. Aside from that i have nothing but respect for all the hard work Doug, Gene and Roy put in to try and make the races happen.

The AATVA races are the only time we got to be the headliner, rest of the time we got the second class treatment with either the motocross or offroad car guys being the center of attention so i will always be grateful for the races like San Jose and San Cruz where we where the stars of the event.

I totally understand and agree with what you are saying about Honda getting what ever they wanted, I was there in the middle of it myself. The first time I spoke out about Honda getting on the track a few days before a race was at Boyd TX. on my 200 two stroke works bike. I refused to go out and test, which didn't go over very well. I proved my point that we didn't need to go out there when we already had better bikes then anyone else at the time by going out and set the track record on the oval, won the main event and Dash for cash both nights. The money that came from Toyota was what sent it over the top.

--

--
    I'm glad you brought this to the top! I was just looking at it on eBay, what an awesome machine. I am in no way an expert on these all machine, not even on the internet. So I'm not doubting the authenticity of anything or upset anyone. The inverts seem out of place, what bike would those have came from? Is there any other examples of guys using inverts that far back? 81-83 is the guess of age, the wheels are 85-86 250r right?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    1985 250r
    1985 200s
    1984 200x
    bandito x2
    1979 atc70
    Trikefest 2012,13,14,15

--
    Nevermind, I guess if I had to read the thread a little bit a lot of it was right there.

1985 250r
    1985 200s
    1984 200x
    bandito x2
    1979 atc70
    Trikefest 2012,13,14,15

--
    Quote Originally Posted by hippyplz View Post
    Nevermind, I guess if I had to read the thread a little bit a lot of it was right there.

I was curious what front forks he used as well...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //