//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1985 ATC110 exciter coil fix

--

1985 ATC110 exciter coil fix

Hope this helps someone-

In spending the last few weeks diagnosing a no spark condition on this thing, all the testing and recommendations from searching here pointed to the primary coil. Following the manual and testing per instructions confirmed it. I ordered a replacement from ebay. When it came in, I pulled the coil mounting plate and began the task of pulling the old, and soldering in the new. As I started to pull the old out, I noticed that there was a tiny crack in the solder joint where the winding wire fastens to the metal "stacked plate" body. I figured what the hell, cleaned it up and resoldered it. I have one of the little crack pipe torches, so it made quick work of heating it up, yet keeping it isolated. Tested it, found it now to be good and reinstalled. Bike runs like champ again! (And I have a spare coil for the future)

Sorry I didn't take pics of any of this.

I'm sure this won't be everyone's problem with failure on the coils, but it's an easy spot to check, and even resolder, just to test it even if you don't have the noticeable crack that I did.

DDQ is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    What do you mean by exciter coil? Are you referring to the coil, which has two prongs on one end that connect to the harness and the other end goes to the spark plug? Are you talking about stator, behind the flywheel?

--
    Stator- manual calls it the exciter coil. There is one for the lighting, and one for the ignition. I also see guys calling it the "primary coil"

--
    I dont know how to start a new post but was just wondering will a 1984 atc 110 engine mount to a 1985 atc 110 frame thanks

--
    I am having the same issue with no spark on my 1984 110. How do I check the primary coil to make sure it working correctly?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //