//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: To paint, or not to paint?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by nachop View Post
    Truly amazing. It is good to see you had something useful to offer in this post and yet you have a "lowered Civic".
    I see this is a personal attack after i provided an option about painting plastics. $20 in brake fluid and steel wool and you could of had nice plastics even with wire tires holding them together which is not a bad thing.

What does my lowered civic 2" have to do with anything? You think i'm some inner city kid? wait i guess thats why i see a windmil across the street and a nice lifted truck out front also.......

You are the one who spend so much on painted plastics....didn't say anything about your riding style or if this is just a garage or sand dune queen. What kind of responses to you expect?

But hey at the end of the day you hate me and IDK. I simple said paint does not belong on off road toys that simple. I'll report ya now to the mods....

Have a great night sir.

I ride in coal and climb hills and flip my machines...why would i spend $400 in paint do destroy it in 1 lay over....these are not street bikes

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    painted plastics are for inner city guys riding wheelies for bikes they stole. That simple. Hate me if your a real rider IDK.
    No sir, it is not a personal attack but a response to one of your posts. How did your remark above offer anything useful? You have already made it clear that you do not believe in painting plastic. Why was that not sufficient? You could have done so without being insulting. If you go back and read all of the other posts, not one member wrote anything offensive. The "lowered Civic" comment was an immature response on my part in retaliation to the quote above. I don't believe in lowering vehicles. That simple. Yet I am not insulting those who do. What do you mean by IDK? Are you implying "I Don't Know" or I Don't Care"? Either way, I hate nobody. And please report me to the mods and let them judge what was out of line.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    I've always used ppg dpx801.
    Knappyfeet, I just wanted to confirm something...You do not sand plastic when using the adhesion promoter? I sanded my plastic because of surface damage but I would have sanded it anyway, even if it was in good shape. It would be great to skip this step if not needed.

--
    Well I would be a little weary about painting an off road machine that's going to see a lot of rocks, mud, and scuffs but I heard that adhesion promoter for plastics is really good stuff and is really flexible and durable. I painted fairings on a crotch rocket a while back and used that adhesion promoter as a base and it worked great but the difference is those fairings don't ever get stressed , scratched, or dirty. I'm curious to see how it holds up for you. Did you do the underside of the fenders too? Im not sure how long it says it will take to cure but in that situation I would let it sit for more than a week before I even touched it. Make sure that the paint is definitely cured all the way. Post some pics when yo can. I tried to post a few pictures of a project I had now that its finished and I had the same problem you had with 3 different devices. Its gotta be a problem with the site?
    '' Mixin gas N haulin _ss''

1985 250R-310
    1985 Tri-Z
    1985 Tri Zinger-X's 4
    1973 atc70

--
    Knappyfeet, I just wanted to confirm something...You do not sand plastic when using the adhesion promoter? I sanded my plastic because of surface damage but I would have sanded it anyway, even if it was in good shape. It would be great to skip this step if not needed.
    Yes....very often I just clean then go straight to the adhesion promoter. This for a couple of reasons......usually the plastic piece is scuffed up enough to be fine. If it were say...a new Maier piece then I might be tempted to sand but probably with at least 800 grit.

Of course this would not apply to areas that are cracked, gashed, or in general need of stronger sanding and prepping.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    I just use brake fluid and steel wool and strip every painted set of plastics i get.
    Oh if id known this. I spent 10 hours sanding and polishing a set of fenders because someone just had to have a camouflage 185. I probably could've eliminated all that.

Looking forward to the results/ durability testing. I understand this ain't krylon but I've never seen painted plastics hold up for more than 3 rides or 1 crash, whichever comes first.
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    Thanks for the feedback knappyfeet. Racer-X, I mostly encounter sand and mud where I ride. When I do ride where there are rocks, they are usually too big to kick up. And no, I did not paint the underside. I already have 2 rides on it. First ride was sand dunes. Second was a 4.5 mile trail consisting of sand and hard pack dirt. Lots of turns, whoops, jumps, waterbars, washouts. Rode 8 laps (not consecutive...too out of shape) before I called it a day. So far no visible cracking. Whether or not the paint could handle the flexing was my concern.

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    Post #16 had me wondering if this discussion was about spraying paint or huffing paint.

--
    Nachop....any pics of the plastics and the paint job?
    "See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with, long as she does it quiet-like. "

Trikes:
    1982 Honda ATC250R(in process), 1984 Honda ATC110, 1984 Honda 200s, 1985 Kawasaki KLT160(not running...yet)
    Quads:
    1990 Suzuki LT250S, 2013 Suzuki LT-Z400, 2014 Honda TRX450R SE

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtweed View Post
    Nachop....any pics of the plastics and the paint job?
    Yes sir. I have pictures and I tried to post already but cannot. I have taken more at the lowest resolution that I can, but they are still beyond the maximum size limit. I will keep trying.

--
    Finally! I had to include the 250R so it would not get jealous.

100_1044.JPG100_1037.JPG100_1041.JPG100_1042.JPG

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    Looking good there, nachop!
    Last edited by tripledog; 08-02-2015 at 10:34 PM. Reason: punctuation

--
    Thanks bro. Time will tell if the paint holds up to the flexing. I will post an update after the next few rides. We will be going to the mountains this week.

--
    Finally! I had to include the 250R so it would not get jealous.

100_1044.JPG100_1037.JPG100_1041.JPG100_1042.JPG
    Let me tell you...your line of off road warriors looks great. And the paint job looks wonderful. You did a fabulous job. I hope it holds up well.

--
    Thanks Knappy. The first two are mine, the TRX250EX is my son's, and the KFX700 is my wife's. We enjoy them very much. And yes, hopefully it will hold up, but if not, no big deal. Not all experiments turn out well.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //