//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: To paint, or not to paint?

--

To paint, or not to paint?

I thought I would share an experience with you fellow members. I have wanted to change the plastic on my quad for some time now so I priced what I would need from Maier. I wanted to go red and white. When all was said and done, I was looking at $503.93 plus $161.25 for a total of $665.18 to replace ALL the plastic in the colors that I wanted. And this was at "close out" prices. Needless to say, I could not justify the expense. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the plastics on it now. Possessing the ability to paint and having all the equipment needed, except a paint booth, I was determined to do it my self and save money. I think you guys already know where this is going. Since I already had the white paint, clear coat, sand paper, and thinner, my material costs were less than starting from scratch. Naturally, the paint that you use is a huge factor in determining cost. Duplicolor makes a ready to spray lacquer base coat, clear coat, and primer for $25 a quart. PPG and Dupont range from $100 to $160 a quart but is mixed 1 to 1, so basically you get 2 quarts after it is thinned. Anyway, I hope I haven't lost anybody yet. My material bill (remember, I had some of it already) came to $80 which included a quart of adhesion promoter which I used in place of a flex agent. Sounds cheap right? But now you have to factor in labor. My quad was in pretty good shape but it still took me approximately 8 hours (2 days, 4 hours per day). Most of the time was for sanding and reassembly. Now obviously you don't pay yourself for doing your own things, but I bid jobs at $45 to $75 per hour. I have already ridden it pretty hard on some rough trails that caused considerable flexing, and the paint job survived. Will it last? Is it worth it? You can decide for yourself. I will update the post regarding durability. I was hoping to include pics, but the site keeps saying it is not a valid image. And yes, it is jpg.

--
    you don't paint atv plastics....it's that simple

--
    And what is your logic behind this? Tell that to the companies that are painting many of the newer ATVs/UTVs (and there are many that come with factory paint now) or to the people that don't want to spend upwards of $500 for new plastic. I did it simply because I can and as an experiment.

--
    Look forward to the pics and the results.

I've got some really badly faded KLT160 plastics that I was thinking of sending out
    for dipping in Camo since I don't have the set up or know how to paint them.
    Don't feel like polishing and the originals are NLA. :-(
    "See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with, long as she does it quiet-like. "

Trikes:
    1982 Honda ATC250R(in process), 1984 Honda ATC110, 1984 Honda 200s, 1985 Kawasaki KLT160(not running...yet)
    Quads:
    1990 Suzuki LT250S, 2013 Suzuki LT-Z400, 2014 Honda TRX450R SE

--
    I understand. Polishing takes about the same amount of time as painting. Depending on how bad it is. If it is just dull, no scratches or gouges, the time involved is considerably less. Sanding and buffing can make them look new again. It does require patience.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    you don't paint atv plastics....it's that simple
    I kinda agree. I understand plastics can be one expensive deal but that's part of the game.

Plus I have painted many plastic items in the past and in the long run have never had a durable finish. The only ones were plastic gas tanks in which it was new....sealed with a tank sealer and properly prepared.

--
    Scroll up to the very top of the page, there is a custom painted Tecate in the picture, from what I hear it has been around for many years, I wonder if he knows some painting tricks?
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Well my shrouds and my headlight bucket on my 200x are both painted. However I personally would not paint any plastic piece bigger than that. However if it works and is durable great for you.

Poco Loco is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Just think of all the plastic painted bumpers on cars. They flex to and the paint stays on. No spray can garbage there. Auto body supply shops have the real deal for painting plastic. And here's the catch, you gotta know what your doing with the products. How to use them.
    Shart Guard .......Use it !

Pink Powerwheels Barbie trike

Wamo Big Wheel with a solid trikecycle front tire

Mini bike 3hp Briggs and Stratton with cambells soup can exhaust

Schwinn stingray with coaster brakes

1985 Crash and Burn champ

1st place National Endo Championship

--
    Crash boom bang...then tell me how your painted plastics look. I just use brake fluid and steel wool and strip every painted set of plastics i get. Like these I got for $20...Black before, white after no paint......now nicer then most bikes out there on trails.

painted plastics are for inner city guys riding wheelies for bikes they stole. That simple. Hate me if your a real rider IDK.
    Last edited by oldskool83; 07-30-2015 at 03:55 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    painted plastics are for inner city guys riding wheelies for bikes they stole. That simple. Hate me if your a real rider IDK.
    Truly amazing. It is good to see you had something useful to offer in this post and yet you have a "lowered Civic".

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco Loco View Post
    Just think of all the plastic painted bumpers on cars. They flex to and the paint stays on. No spray can garbage there. Auto body supply shops have the real deal for painting plastic. And here's the catch, you gotta know what your doing with the products. How to use them.
    Agreed....however....

plastic bumpers on automobiles are thicker and less prone to mass movement and vibration......all the things motorcycle plastics have to endure. Even with proper plastic adhesion promoters and flex agents in any primer and top coats....it's very difficult to maintain its look for the long haul. Sure if the vehicle is going to be indoors and barely used perhaps. But typical exposure ...not so much.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    Even with proper plastic adhesion promoters and flex agents in any primer and top coats....it's very difficult to maintain its look for the long haul. Sure if the vehicle is going to be indoors and barely used perhaps. But typical exposure ...not so much.
    Very true. But the difficulty is in whether or not the paint job will handle the flexing of the plastic subjected to off-road use. Maintaining "the look" is no different from anything else painted with automotive grade paint. As stated earlier, most of the ATV/UTV makers are now painting many of their vehicles. But, as Poco Loco said, it is NOT your average Joe paint job with cheap material. Also, many bumpers have cosmetic plastic covers that are much thinner than ATV plastic that have to withstand wind, water, bug/rock impacts, washing, etc. I agree that it is probably not as bad as what most ATVs/UTVs go through, but they still have to be durable. My machines get ridden hard (when I am not riding wheelies on my stolen ATVs through the city). And like I said, I will post updates on how the paint is holding up.

--
    One thought I have is the chemical makeup differences from the 80's plastics to modern stuff. It seems the older is a little "waxy" compared to newer plastics. Not at all sure but that is an observation after trying to fix some stuff
    you know whats right therefore you know what is expected

--
    Just a thought as well....

I really wouldn't sand too much if any and if I did I would probably never go below 400 grit. Keep on mind adhesion promotors act as an etching of the plastic. That's why you have a short window for applying the primer or topcoat. I've always used ppg dpx801. My friend swears by SEM but I don't recall ever using it. I'm a PPG man....you know Ford or Chevy........Honda or Toyota. For me a basic cleaning and 801 and that's it......a better finish. Let us know how its going.

Just had to edit....some will swear and recommend a light sanding. It doubles the adhesion surface i know......but plastic is funny....it is extremely resistant to any finish. And the times I sanded were the times it cracked or flaked or something. Maybe I prepped incorrectly though....idk.
    Last edited by knappyfeet; 07-30-2015 at 08:29 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //