//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Well...I Did it Again (Bought Another One)

Onetrackmind is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Well...I Did it Again (Bought Another One)

I couldn't help myself and bought another trike today! I guess I am now completely addicted. This 85 350X was on CL down in the gulf coast area of Texas (about 5hrs from me) and I wound up meeting the guy halfway to look at it. Talked him down a lot because of the fact that it is pretty rough and something is wrong with the clutch. It may just be out of adjustment or a bad cable...I won't be able to really investigate until next week when I have some time.

Anyway...I wasn't REALLY looking for a 350X and don't really know a whole lot about them. This bike appears to be all original and all there. It spent some time outside, so it's got corrosion and rust.and it has bent bars and a dented tank. I think I did pretty good for the price of $725 plus 2.5 hr drive each way.

Any 350Xperts care to chime in on any obvious issues that I may not be seeing? Thanks in advance.

Oh...the bike runs great and doesn't smoke.

Cody
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by Onetrackmind; 08-02-2015 at 03:24 PM.

Onetrackmind is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Update:

I disconnected the clutch cable and found that there is zero play in the cable...it is completely frozen in its sleeve. I see that it is a discontinued part through Honda...am I stuck w ordering a MotionPro or is there another option in cables?

Thanks again guys.

--
    Awesome score, I would look for a NOS cable on EBAY first, Motion Pro second, you can also try Terry Cable.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

--
    If the paint on the engine cases is original that thing doesn't look like it was used much. The rust spots on the bottom of the tank are a little scary. Can you tell which side of the paint they started on?

--
    Thanks Onformula1! I Found ONE NOS cable on eBay for $150. Ouch! I just ordered a Motion Pro off Amazon for $16.

El Camexican
    Yep...lots of rust all over the exterior of this tank. Fortunately, the inside looks really clean and rust free. This bike spent its entire life about 40 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and by the looks of it, it was outside a lot of its life.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    350x . . box stock . . all orig . . runs great . . doesn't smoke . . minor surface rust . . $750.00 . . i'll take a dozen.

i see it has a bolt sticking out a little on the top of the exhaust heat shield . . i would buy some kroil oil and dribble just a couple drops on it every 4 - 6 hours for 3 days . . whack it on top lightly with a hammar one or twice a day.

if it breaks off, you need to drill all the way thru into the exhaust pipe to remove it then heli coil or time sert the thread which is a pita.

you can also try a mix of 50% auto trans fluid and 50% acetone . . i have never used that but it purportedly works . . i know kroil oil works better than all the other rust remover oils so it might be a safer bet . . wd40 will do nothing.

if the threads in the hole are a little messy, you can tap them with a bottoming tap or grind the pointed tip off of a regular tap and tap them.

look in the tank for rust as El Camexican suggested . . if its really rusty, i would not ride it because it contaminates the gas . . you can buy some powdered or crystal oxalic acid or concrete driveway cleaner if it says oxalic acid on it, or get it from most house paint stores like sherwinn williams etc . . amazon sells pure oxalic acid . . mix 1/2 to 1 lb to 1 gallon of water . . fill the tank up and let it sit for 2 days . . you can also include a box of BB's or small nuts and shake it around periodically to break the big chunks off but don't get it on your clothes etc and do it on a ventilated area . . the fumes can be irritating but not deadly.

--
    Looks good sir. Helluva buy!
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Barnett...thanks for all the advice. I will start doing a few things here and there next week and the tank will be priority (along w installing a new clutch cable).

Thanks Brendon! It looks a lot better than those first pics I sent you, doesn't it? Hopefully I get lucky on the clutch only needing a new cable. Thanks for the input this morning bro!

--
    No worries, anytime. I am glad that worked out for you. I gotta come down to Texas and ride now. You got two pretty horses in the stable!
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Indeed you do! Or maybe we can try for a fall dunes ride...whichever works for me!

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetrackmind View Post
    Barnett...thanks for all the advice. I will start doing a few things here and there next week and the tank will be priority (along w installing a new clutch cable).
    no prob, hope it helps . . some things you might know which i would do is disassemble the kick starter lever and grease it because that bike just looks really "dry" . . i would also do the same to the foot brake pivot and clutch and brake lever pivots and the brake cams where the shoes ride and where they go thru the backing plates and maybe the swing arm bolt.

i would also remove every nut and bolt and grease them before they permanently seize if they haven't already.

the obvious would be to change the oil.

if you pinch the air filter then pull on it and some comes off in your hand, it is junk.

--
    Some more great points. Thank you sir. And you are correct, this thing is bone dry.

Yep, I plan on rebuilding both brake systems in short order.

I've already started soaking all of the hardware in PB Blaster in hopes of easy removal.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetrackmind View Post
    Some more great points. Thank you sir. And you are correct, this thing is bone dry.

Yep, I plan on rebuilding both brake systems in short order.

I've already started soaking all of the hardware in PB Blaster in hopes of easy removal.

ok, pb blaster is whimpy compared to kroil oil . . kroil oil is around ten zillion times better than anything else because it has tiny nano, nano particles of prefabulated amulite or somethin that can go between much smaller spaces than the other products can . . in other words, if they dont come off after spraying with pb or wd, it does not mean that kroil oil will not dissolve the rust.

as far as the tank goes, you said the inside is clean so you just want to fix the outside . . if this is the case, or even if the inside has light rust, you can buy 3 gallons of apple cider vinegar and soak the entire tank in that for 2 days, however, i don't know if it will eat your decals . . the good thing is that i think you can buy new ones or there is a person here that can likely make them.

i would first try good old number 7 rubbing compound on them though, however, it will remove a little paint . . this "should" remove a good portion of the rust, but it will still need to be soaked to remove the rest . . rub the spots with a tooth brush occasionally while it soaks to speed up the process.

after soaking, mix 1/2 cup of baking soda [or just plain soda ash is better], with a gallon of water and rinse it out and rinse the outside with it . . if the inside of the tank did have rust, it will rust again quickly so it should be coated with sealer but doing body work on the tank to repair the dent might damage the sealer in that area...hmmm

once the rust is removed on the outside, the bare metal needs to be covered so it will not rust again . . clear or semi clear verathane lacquer spray paint from home depot will slow the rust but it will not stop it . . catalyzed epoxy primer will stop it but then you tank will look like crap unless you use white.

--
    All kinds of great stuff right there! Unfortunately all I have is Blaster and will be out of town for the next several days. It will have to do until I get back and can buy some Kroil.

Thanks again for all of the tips. I thought my R was rough, but I think this one is going to be a bit more of a challenge.

--
    I don't have any parts for this one. Lol Nice score.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //