//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1957 Chevy

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --

1957 Chevy

Pretty cool timing on this one. About two months ago my Dad asked if I wanted his 1957 Bel Air Sports Sedan. Of course I said "YES" and it was delivered to me last Sunday. It was the first car I ever attempted to paint and along with my 1957 2 door hard top is how I learned to work on mechanical, paint body work etc, which has given me the skills to build trikes as well!!! My plans are to slowly clean it up and put it back to the stock colors (silver body/white top) and get a new silver black interior.

A little history on this car and by viewing the pics can tell this one has not had a hard life. My dad bought it from a guy in 1988 who got it with a house purchase, the original owner had passed and it was included. The lady was born in 1898 and bought the Chevy new and rarely drove it. Then in 88 Dad bought it for $2500, running and driving. The car had been painted red on the bottom, black in the middle and red on the top but retained the original interior (seat covers) and some recovered door panels as it still is today. As I mentioned the black paint job was my first attempt at painting a car. It came out terrible, but it did teach me how it should be done, and panel by panel I will get the correct colors back on it.

When my Dad bought it the odometer was showing 52K original miles!! The straight six, powerglide ran awesome and I drove it to high school while my 1957 2 door hardtop was getting rebuilt. It was last registered in 1996 and now has 64K original miles. You can see some of the red oxide primer on the floors and the trunk sports the original silver and the jacking instructions. This car has no radio, no clock, no power steering (aka ARMSTRONG Steering), no power brakes, no power anything. It has a vacuum windshield wiper motor and if you know anything about how vacuum works you know that is not ideal setup while accelerating in the rain The only accessory it did have was the windshield washer reservoir, which in their infinite wisdom was made of glass. The only way I knew it had it was the brackets to hold the glass jar.

I tried to crank it over by hand and its not budging, I poured some oil in the cylinders and will let it soak for a couple days and see what I can do to bring it back to life.

Sadly the day it was delivered I had to put one of my cats down due to cancer. That was when I decided to name it ROCKY and plan to get a plate for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_2359.JPG   DSC_2366.JPG   DSC_2360.JPG   DSC_2361.JPG   DSC_2362.JPG   DSC_2363.JPG  

DSC_2364.JPG   DSC_2391.JPG   DSC_2395.JPG   DSC_2396.JPG   DSC_2397.JPG   DSC_2380.JPG  

DSC_2369.JPG   DSC_2370.JPG   DSC_2383.JPG   DSC_2398.JPG   DSC_2386.JPG   DSC_2387.JPG  

DSC_2389.JPG   DSC_2381.JPG  

--
    Sorry to hear about the Kitty, Mike. I'm sure this will one super cool crusier and would make an awesome ls 5.3 swap, unless of course you wanted it all original.

I would give anything to be able to get my dad's 67 Galaxie 500 back.

--
    Sorry to hear about Rocky, sad day for sure!

That will be a nice project to work on; especially with the history behind it. I'm surprised it's locked up just from sitting? Diesel fuel seems to work good for loosening up motors. If you pull the distributor you could prime the oil galleries with a drill and flat tip screwdriver. Might work and can't hurt.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    ths is the biggest parts mfg and supplier in the world for those . . they frequently have sales . . if you have a resale license, you might get a discount.

https://www.danchuk.com/

those cars often dont charge well at idle if they still have the generator and the charging lite will come on, but the voltage regulator is adjustable.

oile is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Just seeing if you need some 57 Chevy hubcaps I use to own 3 57 Chevy's oh I also might have that fender trim also if you need it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oile View Post
    Just seeing if you need some 57 Chevy hubcaps I use to own 3 57 Chevy's oh I also might have that fender trim also if you need it.
    Sweet! Do any of those hubcaps come with the spinners? Dad found the fender spear in a closet after we shipped the 57, but thanks!!

oile is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Nope all my hubcaps are stock belair ones without spinners

--
    Really sweet to see this thing in the close pictures! Really nice looking ride you got there! I cant wait to see it cleaned up slowly!

--
    One of the best right there! Car looks very solid. Count your blessings, because rust repair sucks! I'd love to see it kept a 6cy (I've grown to love them, a lot), I get many compliments on having kept the 6 in my Javelin. Of course, it's not stock, haha. What are your plans?

--
    Nice to look under the hood and be able to see the spark plugs !!!!!
    85 Big Red
    83 Big Red
    84 125m
    85 TRX 125
    73 ATC 70

--
    Who you gonna have do the work around the filler neck?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 6speedthumper View Post
    One of the best right there! Car looks very solid. Count your blessings, because rust repair sucks! I'd love to see it kept a 6cy (I've grown to love them, a lot), I get many compliments on having kept the 6 in my Javelin. Of course, it's not stock, haha. What are your plans?
    I am going to paint the original two tone, silver body, white top. Going to get OEM repop seat covers in silver and black. I am going to leave the straight six, get split manifold and headers and dual exhaust. I want either a four speed or three on the tree or maybe near term a 3 speed automatic. The cast iron glide has to go. Swap the vacuum wiper motor with electric and lastly will be disc brakes up front with dual master cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Who you gonna have do the work around the filler neck?

HAHAHAHAAH!!!! Actually the gas tank and "filler neck" are removed and the filler neck has been blasted and painted. PICS to come later!!
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 09-02-2015 at 02:31 PM.

--
    The filler is in the back of the fin on those correct?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    The filler is in the back of the fin on those correct?
    YES!!! The left side of the fin you move the stainless left and it exposes the filler neck!!!

--
    My uncle had a 57 when I was a young lad. I thought I knew something equivalent to nuclear secrets when I would ask people if they could find where you filled the gas and they couldn't figure out where it was.lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //