//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Possible New Acquisition

--

Possible New Acquisition

Some or most of you may remember me from a few months ago. I was set to buy my first trike but it fell through, and the same thing happened to a bike that popped up weeks later. I'm back with a new opportunity to buy a bike, and it's coming from an offer from a friend. That friend has a younger brother who is selling his Suzuki 85cc dirt bike. He's asking $1k for it, but my offer was $800 cash. He rejected it, saying that my offer is too low for how much has been put into the machine; his lowest price is $850. I'm a high school student (a junior, if it matters) and I have a few classes with the seller's brother but not the seller himself. All the info I have on the bike at the current time comes from said brother. According to my friend, all the bike needs is a tiny case of TLC in the form of replacing zip ties holding the plastic down in one area with a bolt or two available from the local shop, and that's it. I've thought about going ahead and paying the full $850, which means that I could very well have a bike soon. However, I don't know for sure since the bike in question is listed on Facebook and could have been sold already. That's why I say "possible new acquisition." But what I can assure everyone is that there is a much stronger chance of actually buying this bike than there has with any previous bike or trike. I plan to talk with my friend about the bike tomorrow and see where things stand and where they go. I'll have an update posted in this thread, so stay tuned!
    Proud to be part of the 3WW community.

--
    Assuming your 15-16 years old, how much do you weigh? If your over 140#, or 5'-6" that 85 is going to be working hard and a little small. You may want to consider a 125 2 stroke if you exceed either of those dimensions.

--
    No new update on the bike, at least not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Assuming your 15-16 years old, how much do you weigh? If your over 140#, or 5'-6" that 85 is going to be working hard and a little small. You may want to consider a 125 2 stroke if you exceed either of those dimensions.
    I'm almost 19, I'm a little below 150 and about 6'0" or 6'1". I want a bike that I can screw around on and from what I've heard the smaller bikes are perfect for that.

--
    way to big for that bike, a bigwheel will be more of your size but a 125 you can screw around on and it will fit you. look for a Rm100 or KX100 a minimum.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    way to big for that bike, a bigwheel will be more of your size but a 125 you can screw around on and it will fit you. look for a Rm100 or KX100 a minimum.
    A 125 was what I was thinking about getting until this 85cc popped up. I've seen a few for sale but new and just out of my budget, so I know they're definitely out there used and within my budget. Its just a matter of finding one now. Thanks for the feedback.

--
    all over craigslist's all day lone under a $1000 and ok shape

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    all over craigslist's all day lone under a $1000 and ok shape
    I am a bit nervous about trusting CL for a bike, I'm pretty much using it as just a last resort. I'm the same way with the trikes. Down at my local shop, a new Apollo 125 bike goes for $900 although this is from the same guy who was supposed to call me back about a trike but never did, so I'm not too keen on going to him again. Plus the price is $100 over budget, not to mention that Apollo isn't really a well known brand like Honda or Yamaha.

--
    stay away from china crap apollo. How is trusting Facebook any better from a bunch of people how don't know jack about what they even have? I bought 25 bikes off CL last year, been buying toys off there for 15 years.... no title ask for a bill of sale no a big deal...covers your little butt. If it runs and it's clean you buy it, don't buy bikes that are located at inner cities and have knobbies broken off...those bikes are beat and road on the streets because for some reason the inner city guys feel they have a write to go around riding non legal bikes on the road and running from police. Take the plunge into adulthood...CL is fine. Facebook is for kids with smartphones.

--
    Been a while since I've been on here, so I'll give an update:

The idea with going for an Apollo is out the door, as is any other off brand bike. As for trikes, there is a handful of options I have as of now but since this is the bike section of the board, I'll discuss that elsewhere. For a bike, I'd like an older model but I just have to see what's available. I can tell everyone right now though, I'm more likely to go with a trike.

--
    I just bought a very clean yz426f for a grand other day of CL with paperwork yet. The deals are out there. I own once of every style toy. Just better that way.

--
    Just take your time and do not buy the first thing you see. You should have no problem buying a bike in PA.

Buy a yamaha, honda, kawasaki, or ktm.

I bought this for $280 (got a table saw with it I sold for $20). All it needed was a stator, flywheel and cover, a plastic side cover. A fork seal leaks. I put the motor in a 3 wheeler after I started it in the bike. The motor is strong and kicks ass. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you dont.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1040254.JPG   P1040250.JPG  
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

--
    Buy a 125 or bigger 2 stroke or 250 or bigger 4 stroke. If you dont know what that means you should probably read more about bikes.

I was looking at bikes in PA and they are beat up POS that people are asking way too much for. Dont have that problem here in MI. Looks like it might take you awhile to find a decent deal in your area.
    Last edited by nd4speed; 09-15-2015 at 05:47 PM.
    86 T3
    84 T3
    86 KX250

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //