//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Having trouble keeping my 85 250sx running and starting.

--

Having trouble keeping my 85 250sx running and starting.

My 85 250sx will not stay running. Its hard enough to crank it. It always sounds like its on the verge of cranking but dont. If it does then it seems to run great. easily turned off an cranked again and run for a minute but then dies and will not crank again for a long time.
    I know this bike has cold start issues but, it has a brand new carburator (same carb is stock on my dads 2005 honda rancher)which should fix that issue i believe.. and while it is runnin the carb does just fine. Pluss im in louisiana so cold weather isnt a thing at this particular time with 90+ tempuratures.
    I have good gas, good spark, good air supply.
    I bought it not running, guy i bought from thought it had a bad coil. I found a black tar in the gas tank that made it threw the petcock, gas filter, and into the carb, ruined everything. So i replaced it all. As for the coil it worked just fine but i found that the voltage regulator was iffy, so changed it. Its got a very poor battery but i have just been kick starting it. All my bikes iv ever had will run with no battery so i dont beleive thats the problem.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

--
    I would start by getting the manual from www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals. Then using it, start with the checks for the CDI, pulse, and stator coils. If that checks out, then a valve check/adjustment. That should start you down the right path, let us know if any of that helps.

--
    When you say that it sounds like it's on the verge of cranking but dont and that it dies and will not crank again for a long time, I assume that you mean running. Cranking is with the starter (electric or kick). When it "runs for a minute but then dies", how does it run? Does it run smoothly or rough? I'm thinking that the jets in the Rancher carb are too large. I believe the 2005 Rancher is a 350 and probably has a relatively larger amount of horsepower. I think that you have too much fuel going through your carb and not enough air. Of course if you still have the sx carb, you can send it to Flyingw and have him work his magic on it. He did an amazing job on mine.

--

--
    For anyone that is still interested, I got my 250sx running.
    I must have ruined my cdi box while trying to test it. But it took time for it to affect the bike so I didn't consider it. My original problem must have been the awful tar gunk in my gas tank.
    Shes running strong now though, thanks for yalls input.

--
    Glad to hear that you finally fixed it.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //