//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1st gen Honda Shadows....

--
    I did a little more work to it as of late. I rewired the entire bike with a simplified everything including a turnkey ignition switch.

Custom sissy bar with tailight and plate mount.

I cut the MAC pipes that were on it and installed custom baffles. The pipes are loud but not too loud.

Took a 100 mile ride to celebrate independence
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    I found a pair of stock headers that were in good shape and installed them. I like the stock pipes for these models, they are much better made and actually will require a slight jetting change.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmoozy27 View Post
    I think the 1340 is 88ci and no for a fact that it will smoke my shadow. My father in law has one and has left me behind many times. I'm sure the 1200 would smoke mine as well"
    80 cubic inches is 1340cc, 88 cubic inches is 1450 cc, and in reference to post # 13, I know that my '00 Sportster 1200 weighs 491 lbs. The 883 Sportster may actually be heavier than the 1200, as both bikes cylinder liners share the the same outer diameter, but the 883 has a smaller bore. That means the liner is thicker on the 883, and cast iron is heavy.

I would be remiss if I failed to mention that you have a cool little bobber there, Jmoozy.
    Last edited by tripledog; 07-18-2016 at 11:41 PM.

--
    That's a nice little bobber you got going there.

It looks like you got straight pipes there.........is,it running a little lean? Hot?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    That's a nice little bobber you got going there.

It looks like you got straight pipes there.........is,it running a little lean? Hot?
    No sir, she's got plenty of fuel to match the pods and open exhaust. Also has lollipop baffles to give some back pressure. No popping and plenty of grunt. It has more power than anyone of my bikes and it's the smallest in displacement. This bike has sentimental value to me and will never be sold. We've been through thick and thin. When I got it 10 years ago I couldn't even rebuild a carb and didn't want to turn a wrench. My how times have changed...
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    She got a new front end today. 41mm Showa forks and triples off of a 94 vt1100c. Working on getting the stock wheel to match to match the larger axle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    What is the weight difference, if any, on the new front end? Love this project.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    What is the weight difference, if any, on the new front end? Love this project.
    It shouldn't be too much maybe 1-2lbs. Stock forks were 37mm and a few inches longer. I won't run the front fender on these so that should make it about the same.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    Front end is the on and I'm loving it. Feels like a new bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    Why not run a fork brace? Many times on motorcycles the front fender is riveted or welded to a brace. If I have a bike that I really don't want a fender on, I usually separate the brace from the fender and run it as a single component. It makes a big difference in handling and cornering ability, especially at high speeds. If you don't have a fender that has one attached, you could always make one.

The shinko 230 is a great front tire choice. They're sticky.

I'd run a chopped fender.

Looks awesome without one though.

--
    X2 on what DOHC said.

Just like on your old set......honda engineered a fork stability system on a lot of earlier models. They incorporated it into the fender and it was vital for front end integrity. Removing the fender on old SOHC Hondas made them seriously more unstable at higher speeds and higher speed turning. A simple fork brace might be warranted.......although if your just putting around you should be fine without one.

For the record the new front end looks nice........ More classic muscle bike stance.

Good job

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    X2 on what DOHC said.

Just like on your old set......honda engineered a fork stability system on a lot of earlier models. They incorporated it into the fender and it was vital for front end integrity. Removing the fender on old SOHC Hondas made them seriously more unstable at higher speeds and higher speed turning. A simple fork brace might be warranted.......although if your just putting around you should be fine without one.

For the record the new front end looks nice........ More classic muscle bike stance.

Good job
    Thanks guys, on the stock front end there was a stabilizer. It was basically a 1/4" aluminum plate that seemed to work alright. The fender was very thin and held in place with short 6mm bolts so it served very little integral purpose. The front end just sucked in general. Not one of Hondas better designs which is probably why it's service was cut short. The 41mm forks on the other hand are very reliable and have a lot of aftermarket upgrades because Harley uses similar style showas on many models. I own a vt1100 which is the bike that these forks were originally from and I run no fender on them mainly because I used it to make the rear fender on the 500. Nonetheless there is no difference in handling as I've just rebuilt both sets of forks and have been riding and tuning both bikes for the past few months as time comes available. The 500 is much lighter so I run 10wt fork oil and 20wt in the 1100 which made a huge difference as the bike was rather bouncy on Louisiana roads. I will be playing with some different bar next as well as modding the front brakes to fit.

Glad you guys have been keeping up with this thread. We get daily thunderstorms in coastal Louisiana during the summer and since the roads dry faster than the fields the 3 wheelers don't get as much attention this time of year.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    There is 100% without a doubt unquestionably a difference in handling when a brace and fender are not used on a front-end that was designed with them as an original component. No arguing against it, it's physics.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    There is 100% without a doubt unquestionably a difference in handling when a brace and fender are not used on a front-end that was designed with them as an original component. No arguing against it, it's physics.
    Okay, thanks for the info. Both bikes rides fine with no fender.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //