//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1st gen Honda Shadows....

--

1st gen Honda Shadows....

Does anyone have one?

I got my 86 VT500 about 10 yrs ago. It was my first road bike and I enjoyed it very much. It sat up for a winter a few years back and was very cold natured ever since. Lost interest in it and parked it for a few more years. I've been doing a lot more tuning and tinkering since then on my own trikes, bikes, and, quad (Yes I own just one) and decided to give the old girl another shot.

I got her home earlier in the week and fought with the worn leaky intake system that haunts these models. After three days of nothing I said screw it and got 2 uni pod filters for the carb and rejetted to where I think it should be. Wow, how this thing has awoken from the dead. It ran better than it has ever ran as long as I have had it.

I'm not sure what stock jetting is for it but since it has aftermarket pipes I assume it didn't have the stock jets in it. Both carbs had a 38 slow, the front carb had a 112 main and the rear had a 120, for cooling purposes I think. So I cranked it up to 40 slows, 130 front, 135 rear and she runs like a Mexican paint job.

Still had some popping on decel, so I went up a size on everything. Now it's 42 slows, 135 front, and 140 rear. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with her yet so I'm asking for suggestions from the most interesting people in the world.

3 Wheeler People!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    The way I see it you have two choices-

Park it and wait till it's priceless or-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	done10.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	221824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	honda-vt500c-1986-4.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	221825
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by onformula1 View Post
    The way I see it you have two choices-

Park it and wait till it's priceless or-

Name:	done10.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	221824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	honda-vt500c-1986-4.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	221825
    I like the bobber idea... I may need some help with lowering too...
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    I like bobbers but they are becoming cheap and played out.

Up for you consideration is a nice cafe project. A seemingly British feel to it.

Name:	Screenshot_2015-09-19-10-40-17.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	221826

--
    Ahh, yes the cafe racer, uncommon In the land of choppers. Eyeopener for sure, and much cheaper to accomplish from the look of things. I like this too...

What kind of tank do you think that is in the pic???

--
    I started stripping a few extra parts off... Just to get a better look at the bones of this one...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    Slap that XR body work onto the Shadow and you'll be the talk of the town.

--
    I have an 83 Honda Shadow Vt 750c that I bought when I was 15 I am 38 now. I have not had it on the road for the past few years. I need a choke cable and can not find one. Mine is super nice yet, as it is stored under the OEM cover and a tarp in my garage. I have seen some of the 500s made into flat track racers and they look pretty neat.
    Rebuilding and riding trikes everyday and lovin every minute.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...light=pipeline

--
    I felt the need to update this as I have been spending some of my time working on this one. I kind of bobbed it and it looks and rides really well with the now low center of gravity.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    I love the styling of this bike. I have always liked the shadow. Especially the 250cc. I have slowed down over the years and now I am riding an older bike with less technology less power and have more fun for a fraction of the price. Hey if you cant get the jetting right just use the stock jets and try to increase the air flow. Just my 2¢ oh well.....
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

--
    The jetting is a little fat as I'm now running 140 front 142 rear on the main and 45 slow on both. It has enough power than what most people think. These bikes from the eighties have more power than their successors. My buddy just bought a 2012 HD sportster 883 yesterday and had me test drive it before he bought it. It's a very clean bike and the fuel injection is nice but I think my shadow would beat it hands down if we would race. This would likely not happen as this is his first bike and I couldn't care less who's is faster, it's just my opinion from riding it.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

--
    power to weight ratio. that 883 harley probably weighs around 600 lbs, and the Honda ? 400 pounds ?
    I have a 1998 Harley Dyna with a 80 cubic inch motor which I think is 1340 cc and I bet your Honda will completely blow me away.
    However I also have my dads 2007 harley sportster 1200 EFI and I know for sure I will take you out on that bike.
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

--
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetip2000 View Post
    power to weight ratio. that 883 harley probably weighs around 600 lbs, and the Honda ? 400 pounds ?
    I have a 1998 Harley Dyna with a 80 cubic inch motor which I think is 1340 cc and I bet your Honda will completely blow me away.
    However I also have my dads 2007 harley sportster 1200 EFI and I know for sure I will take you out on that bike.
    I think the 1340 is 88ci and no for a fact that it will smoke my shadow. My father in law has one and has left me behind many times. I'm sure the 1200 would smoke mine as well"
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    Nice looking bike! The seat and fork boots look great, and it has my all time favorite style Honda mags (kudos for not painting them).

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //