//ArrowChat Code

Thread: What are you using to keep your Maier plastics from getting melted by exhaust?

--

What are you using to keep your Maier plastics from getting melted by exhaust?

I've seen a kit by Maier for a heat tile that said it is good for 400 degrees constant or 500 degrees intermittent.
    There is also a kit called Lava Mat. Here are it's specs Specifications:

Brand: Heatshield Products
    Mfg Part: 770001
    Color: Bronze
    Finish: Carbon Fiber Look
    Material: Crushed Volcanic Rock
    Size: 12" x 24"
    Temperature Rating: 1200F Continuous (1800F Intermittent)
    Thickness: 0.007"

Is this overkill? I just don't want the new rear fender to melt by the kick starter like I see on so many other ATC's. What have you used that worked?
    1985 ATC 250R
    1986 ATC 200X
    1986 TRX 250R

--
    Hmmm didn't think of that. I see some kind of heat shielding on my TRX450R. Maybe I should be looking
    for something for my other trikes and quads.
    "See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with, long as she does it quiet-like. "

Trikes:
    1982 Honda ATC250R(in process), 1984 Honda ATC110, 1984 Honda 200s, 1985 Kawasaki KLT160(not running...yet)
    Quads:
    1990 Suzuki LT250S, 2013 Suzuki LT-Z400, 2014 Honda TRX450R SE

--
    This is what I use, but they are getting hard to find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-MOTO-TIL...-/271929954075
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryah View Post
    I've seen a kit by Maier for a heat tile that said it is good for 400 degrees constant or 500 degrees intermittent.
    There is also a kit called Lava Mat. Here are it's specs Specifications:

Brand: Heatshield Products
    Mfg Part: 770001
    Color: Bronze
    Finish: Carbon Fiber Look
    Material: Crushed Volcanic Rock
    Size: 12" x 24"
    Temperature Rating: 1200F Continuous (1800F Intermittent)
    Thickness: 0.007"

Is this overkill? I just don't want the new rear fender to melt by the kick starter like I see on so many other ATC's. What have you used that worked?

ok, there is no such thing as overkill when trying to keep high heat away from a part.

one problem with mats is that the actual insulating material will still heat up which can soften the adhesive enough to allow the mat to simply fall off.

another prob is that many are thin and therefore may not reflect enough heat and you can not glue one on top of the other.

a different option to the mat is to simply wrap the offending pipe with header wrap in the area required, and NO, in your case, it will NOT cause your pipe to rust away into nothing.

below are two of the better header wraps . . they are both have basalt [lava rock] and both are resistant to a whopping one thousand eight hundred degrees of direct heat or flame etc, lol.

the dei wrap only comes in one thickness which i think is 1mm . . the other brand i posted comes in 1/2, 1, and 2 mm thickness . . i would wrap it 3 times with the 1 mm or twice with the 2 mm but you can try just 1 layer at first and see how hot it gets but I assure you it will emit noticeably less heat if it 2 mm thick instead of just 1.

you can attach it with their fancy clamps or simply secure it with stainless safety wire

https://www.designengineering.com/ca...-lr-technology

http://lavawrap.com/

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    I just re-read the specs you posted and that stuff is in fact only .007 - .008 inches thick just like you said which is simply laughable . . that is so thin it couldn't keep the heat from a piece of toast from burning your fingers.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HSP-770001/

Mosh is offline I'm the one with all the 2 stroke around here! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Depends on what machine you are having the problem on.
    250R? Only melting I have ever seen is result of piss poor fitting exhaust, usually caused by a bent subframe. I have maier plastic that is 5 years old and never melted. Header tape will trap moisture and cause the exhaust to rust.
    Here is where my long useless list of stuff nobody cares about should go...

Proudly NOT a member of

"Team on the Teat"

--
    Depends on how you mount them. I rubber mount them on 1st gen 200x with modified stock mount so they do not flop around. They I place HVAC aluminum tape with thick sticky backround on the areas close to the head. Never melted anything after that. total costs...$10

--
    As I specifically stated, the exact type of header wrap I posted and the amount you are going to use will NOT cause your particular exhaust to rust away . . I know this for a FACT because I have done this MANY times before for various reasons . . You also do not use any type of sealer on this particular wrap . . I have also owned cars that have had header wrap on them for many years, one of which was a 1966 Dana prepped Super Sport Chevelle with a 450 hp L78 427 ci engine in it and it had the header wrap on it for 30 years, I sold it around 8 years ago to a friend of mine and it still has the same header wrap on it.

I am NOT saying that header wrap will never promote or accelerate rust on an exhaust pipe, I am simply saying that this particular wrap in this app will not.

RUNMEDOWN is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I have never had issues with header wrap on my ATCs, they get wet but they are on a high heat source so they dry out fast, never rusted my pipes. I used it to protect my new Maier plastic on a 200x that was just a little too close for comfort to the pipe. just my .02
    85 ATC110 - The Greatest ATC of all time - (My First - new in 85)
    83 FL250 - Odyssey w/420cc - SOLD
    82 185s -10.25:1 piston, Full 200x upper, Goki Electric start - SOLD
    84 200x - Auto-X - Weisco Hi-comp, Cam'd, Bassani'd, Westcoast swinger, -SOLD
    82 200E Big Red -SOLD
    85 ATC250ES Big Red - Snow Plow !

Mosh is offline I'm the one with all the 2 stroke around here! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Does your 67 chevelle get driven through muddy creeks and snow and water? It will rust...it holds water.
    fact water rusts steel..fact...anything that abosrbs water will hold water..fact of the universe..rust is caused by moisture..
    Here is where my long useless list of stuff nobody cares about should go...

Proudly NOT a member of

"Team on the Teat"

tecaterob is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    ^agree....had a mud jeep with headers wrapped and they rusted pretty bad. That's why I ceramic coat my pipe add small sheet on plastics.
    3 86 Tecate 3
    1 87 tecate 3 (with kx 540 motor)
    1 87 tecate 4 (with 330 motor, 250r geometry)
    1 83 atc 70
    1 Kfx 50
    1 kfx 400 ( with 470 parting out bike)
    1 78 KZ 1000 ( with 1340 turbo)
    1 Aprilia SXV 550 Supermoto
    1 01 ZRX 1200 prostreet (sold)

--
    X3, I have used header wrap on quads before. It will rust the crap out of your header. Not worth it IMO. Also, I second mosh's comment. What bike is this for?
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    In addition to being porous, the particular header wrap I posted absorbs far less water/moisture than most others because of the basalt/lava rock it contains.

...and yes. where I live [wherever that may be, lol] it rains like the biblical flood during part of most every year and I know that not only my Chevelle headers were exposed to a lot of water on occasion I know that other cars I and my friends had that had header wrap were also exposed to a lot of water and not a single one our headers rusted out.

...HOWEVER, I suppose I should have said something like, "imo and personal experience, which may differ from the opinions and/or personal experiences of some others, your header will not likely rust using this particular header wrap in this particular app." so my apologies for the way my first post was worded.

With this in mind...I would be more than happy to change my previous post to read that way for the purpose of increased accuracy, because some wraps, in some conditions, on some metals, certainly can promote rust, and I personally would prefer not to use it on an ANY header if it can be avoided....however....I am unable to do so because I HAVE NO EDIT BUTTON.

Marty is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Auto Zone sells heat tape made by DEI. You can stick on fender on back so you can stick to fender to avoid burns on plastic

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosh View Post
    Does your 67 chevelle get driven through muddy creeks and snow and water? It will rust...it holds water.
    fact water rusts steel..fact...anything that abosrbs water will hold water..fact of the universe..rust is caused by moisture..
    You forgot:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Death View Post
    FACT: and now is the time for Dr. Death

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //