//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New member looking to restore 85 klt110 and 81 klt200

--

New member looking to restore 85 klt110 and 81 klt200

Good morning All,
    I am looking to restore 2 trikes that I got for $115 delivered to my house. They have been sitting outside for awhile, but I am looking for the challenge. I am no stranger to restoring 4 wheelers (mostly Blasters) but this will be my first experience with 3 wheelers. Looking forward to meet new people and hopefully I can give back to the community on my learnings. Thanks

--
    So I have the KLT110 torn down to the frame. When I took the front forks off I had bearing balls fall out everywhere from the steering stem. Is this normal? Can I get new bearings or should I collect all the balls and put them back in the channels? Thanks

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    this is normal . . you can reuse the old balls or get new ones from any honda, kawi, or yammi shop or the hardware store.

clean the races, then use heavy old school wheel bearing grease, not the black moly or white grease to hold them in place for reassembly . . it looks like dark brown tar . . you can also use bel ray grease etc to hold them in place . . the bel ray is waterproof but the the wheel bearing grease is also fine . . you can get bel ray from amazon or any motorcycle shop . . you should disassemble the brake actuator and rear brake pivot and clean and grease those also.

spray some wd40 or 6 in 1 or some type of lube inside the cables using the long spray nozzle that comes with the lube . . this is a bit messy if you dont have the special tool but you dont need it, besides, the oil will made the outside of your cables look nice too after it gets all over them.

there should be no space between the balls . . if there is enough space for another ball, you are missing one.

--
    Thanks for the quick response and heads up!

--
    Some balls are large and some are small. Is there a special way to put them back in? Thanks again

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    also, make sure the shifter is tight on the klt110 . . use a grade 8 bolt in it and you will need check it after every ride.

also, look look closely at it after tightening the bolt . . if the two ends are mashed together, you will need to grind them to increase the gap.

i would also get new uni filters for both of them to avoid any problems from old plugged or decaying/deteriorating filters.

http://www.unifilter.com/atvs/kawasaki-atv/

you should also use foam filter oil instead of engine oil . . after applying it then squeezing it out, i set the filter with the big end down for around 15 minutes so any excess oil can go to the bottom then i squeeze it out again.

also, that 110 hauls a_s and it will lift the front wheel if you lean back when you speed shift . . it will also wheelie forever without ANY hesitation or burbling.

if the clutch slips at all when shifting, it is bad.

--
    make sure the clutch is adjusted properly on the 110 . . they are sensitive to adjustment.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixerupper View Post
    Some balls are large and some are small. Is there a special way to put them back in? Thanks again
    ok, well then the small ones go in one end and the big ones go in another but i dont remember much about the balls on those so look at the radius/curve in the bearing races . . if one takes a different size, it will have a slightly different curve to it so try a big ball in each and look at how it fits the curve then try a small ball i each and see how it fits.

it is possible that both races take the same size balls and that someone lost some balls before and bought the wrong size and stuck them in there, but i will try to check for you and get back to you within 15 minutes.

the ball should fit the curve of the care perfectly

--
    ok, the 110 uses 3/16" bearings in the top and the larger 1/4" bearings in the bottom.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...AME/parts.html

--
    the 200 uses 23 of the 3/16 balls in the top and 19 of the 1/4 in the bottom.

http://www.xtremeusa.com/OEMpartfind...1981/070021D-3

--
    Thanks guys for the help. I really apreciate it. She is ready for paint and start to put her back together. Excited as hell to ride her. I did find that the exciter coil is bad and have to get a stator. Oh well she only cost me about $57 to buy her LOL. Time to build her up back to life!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Aren't the steel balls that hardware stores sell, just that; steel balls?

I'm thinking that what hardware stores normally sell are of such a low quality, they may not even be a graded bearing. I've even seen cheap bearings simply break in half, the balls actually split into multiple pieces.

Bicycle shops usually carry loose bearings and they're very, very inexpensive for grade 25 loose bearings. They come in many different sizes.
    Well the bearings at industrial hardware stores will be hard . . The ones from places like home depot may very well come from china and be weak, however, the amount of load on each bearing is not that great due to the quantity of them, therefore, even if they are cheapos, they should still work fine in this app, however, I certainly wouldn't put cheapos in a motorcross bike etc.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixerupper View Post
    She is ready for paint and start to put her back together.
    Which one of the two is "she".

--
    The 110 of course. Didnt get to the 200 yet.

--
    yes, it is certainly best to get oem or other bearings whenever possible, but some people don't live near a shop that carries them and they don't wan to wait and neither of the bikes he has are they type that people will be doing double jumps on or any type of hard riding.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //