//ArrowChat Code

Thread: need help on a sx

daddy420big is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

need help on a sx

i have a 86 250sx and my rear brakes stik on what could it be

BigRedGrizzly is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Lube the cable? Clean the inside of the drum?

Trackburger is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Yep...could be the cable (either one of them), but most likely the shaft that connects the rear linkage and goes through the brake assembly to pivot and "Open" the brake shoes is gunked up and sticking. Take it all apart, clean and lube. You can also check the return spring at the rear linkage for proper adjustment and also while its apart ensure the 2 springs inside the drum connecting the shoes together are not broken or missing.
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES BIG RED
    1985 Honda ATC 350X
    1985 Honda FL670R Odyssey ROTAX conversion
    1993 Honda Type II 200
    2003 Honda TRX 90
    2006 Honda TRX 90

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedGrizzly View Post
    Lube the cable? Clean the inside of the drum?
    hey grizzly...go jet your bike.

--
    I'd start with cleaning the brake cables. Lubing with oils usually just results in gummy sticky operation, especially when it's cold out.

Go get some PB Blaster Dry Teflon Lube.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blaster Teflon Dry Lube.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	222378
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-9...-TDL/202532762

Remove both brake cables to the rear (the hand and foot brake cables). Hold them vertically and spray the Teflon spray into the top of the cable while working it back and forth. Spray until it comes out the other end. This does two things:

1. The solvent carrier will dissolve and carry away a lot of the the previous gummed up old lube
    2. It will leave behind a dry Teflon film to lube the cable.

The dry lube won't get gummy when it's cold out.

It is possible that the cable is just damaged and won't move freely anymore no matter how much cleaning you do. You'll know if this is the case when operating it by hand when it is removed from the machine. It should move freely by hand.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //