//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Trike Conversion Kits

--

Trike Conversion Kits

My dad who still rides at the age of 80 wants to convert his 2007 harley sportster 1200C into a trike with a reverse gear. He also needs a nice seat for the passenger. Is it better to buy into a production trike ? They are so expensive the triglides and gold wings..... any and all feedback appreciated.
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

--
    Call BlackBurn Trikes in Medina Oh.

--
    will do never heard of them before and cant see paying over 30 grand for an air cooled pushrod motor with three wheels.
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

--
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetip2000 View Post
    will do never heard of them before and cant see paying over 30 grand for an air cooled pushrod motor with three wheels.
    For about the same price you can get a 4th wheel! http://www.ragemotorsport.com/shop/c...?cpid=custom62

Not exactly a bike/trike, but sure looks like fun. It is road legal and has offroad abilities comparable to off road rally cars, and even motocross.

The 1352cc engine gives incredible performance and will launch from 0-60mph in around 3.5secs and on to a top speed of 120+mph.

shovelryder is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    For a sportster I'd opt for a voyager kit..... Basically training wheels. I sure wouldn't put the $8k cost of a trike kit on a $5k motorcycle. I've ridden a couple wing conversions and the power is still there for sure. Two of them still had a center storage area in the rear that was massive. Get something that holds value. An xl1200 is a great bike but they lose value really fast.

--
    yeah I love the sporty but that rear end is almost like riding a hard tail.... another thing is the reverse gear on the trike.... so important when your 80 years old and need to back up.... even I couldn't push back 600 lbs plus the trike kit will add even more weight,,,,,,
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

--
    this is an amazing vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Is there any particular reason to no look at side cars?

I'm not a fan of motorcycle conversions to street trikes. They don't have much storage space, and often even less than a motorcycle with side bags and a trunk. Those two large rear car tires and wheels really sap power. They're so common now that they hardly get a second look.

Out of the two you mentioned, the Tri Glide is the only production model. Honda does not sell trikes, all of the Goldwing trikes are aftermarket kits.

Has he test rode a Can Am Spyder? I've rode a Spyder and Tri Glide back-to-back and the Spyder is hands down better. It has more power, handles better and cost less. They can also be bought with a semi-automatic type of transmission or manual, and they have reverse.

They use Rotax engines, and they have been on the market long enough that nice used ones can be bought at reasonable prices.

If he's really wanting to stick with HD, his choices are limited to a trike kit or side car. Beyond that, he'll have to look at buying something else. Maybe he'd be a good future Ural owner. They've got a classic look and aren't made for blazing down the interstate, but enjoying the more scenic routes at lower speeds. Urals have been around for a long time and I occasionally see used ones for sale. Selectable two wheel drive Ural side car models are available too.

This is a 2015 Ural Gear-Up. Fuel injected, front rear disc brakes, leading link fork and selectable 2wd. They have several other models.

http://imz-ural.com/
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

shovelryder is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetip2000 View Post
    this is an amazing vehicle
    I've had two of the these. Very comfy ride and will go anywhere..... Not very dependable though.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //