//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Yz450 trike conversion

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Richard, will you adopt me? I know I'm a little too old and I've already got parents, but I'm willing to try if you are!
    Atc 500x for the win! (Hopefully.... one day)

--
    They are nice and really the way to go. If people have never road these 450's they do everything great and are freaking fun. I hope to do 250F trike next.

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    So how do these handle compared to the quad conversions? You appear to do mostly dune riding but how are they track and trail?

I've never ridden either so I'm very curious. I've dreamed about fixing a trx450r or something (by fixing I mean removing that silly 4th wheel) but these bike conversions seem much much easier, cheaper, and frankly they look better. Plus you can always turn it back into a bike if you decide you really hate it (as if that would happen )

--
    Never having built either but owning a bike conversion and talking to all of these builders, the consensus is that a bike conversion is easier. There are good and bad pii ts to each, but the bike builds are easier and the bike motors are more potent. Don't listen to people that talk about gear ratios being wrong on bike motors, Its a poor argument some people make to make themselves or their trikes seem better than they are.
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Yup that was my thoughts! And I'm with you on the gear ratios, I have a xl500 engine in my trike I like the idea of a powerhouse yamaha motor. Any thoughts on handling? The bike conversions sit higher, but also have more travel. I guess if you make it wide in the back that would help keep it on all three!

--
    I wouldn't necessarily say bike conversions sit higher. With quad conversions the seat is where it is but with bike conversions you have to modify a subframe anyways, so you are able to set the seat height where you want. Jason Hall's 450, I believe, has the lowest seat height of any conversion made.like any conversion, the handling is great if you get the geometry correct.
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    If you look at the picture that's been going around lately with the yellow one that Richard built sitting right along side his yellow YFZ 450 you'll see that it the trike seat height is the same height as the Quad. If your comparing it to an ATC, yes it will be taller, but it is about the same as a "modern" atv.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    Very good points! It's settled then. I'm in the market for a 450 bike

KASEY is offline weee weeee weeeeeeeeeee ! ! ! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    these 2 machines have the exact same rear suspension,, the difference is the trike has a +4 length over the stock length of the quad,,, it handles like a dream ... I did not shorten the forks because I wanted more cushy travel for this old body,,,,,,, as you can see in the picture they look pretty much the same from the tank back,,,, because they are including the stock airbox . same shock linkage and shock,, I cant wait to get my white one done so I can set it next to my white yfz too!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2450.jpg  
    Last edited by KASEY; 08-11-2016 at 10:00 PM.

--
    Thanks for the info, I can't wait to see your white trike either! Would you be interested in selling me a swingarm like that one day? Just curious since you do such nice work and I could make it happen, but it would probably take a few tries haha. I would also like to grill you with questions one day but I'll wait till I actually get the bike haha

--
    all done,,,,

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    Never having built either but owning a bike conversion and talking to all of these builders, the consensus is that a bike conversion is easier. There are good and bad pii ts to each, but the bike builds are easier and the bike motors are more potent. Don't listen to people that talk about gear ratios being wrong on bike motors, Its a poor argument some people make to make themselves or their trikes seem better than they are.
    that is some very sound information,,,

--
    Quote Originally Posted by KASEY View Post
    all done,,,,

VERY very nice!! and I wonder how many Fast Trekker tires you have with the old bar pattern.

I LOVE trekkers!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    wow...just wow! these are really nice! Very nice. you're like some sort of friggin dirt bike to trike wizard or something! lol

--
    here is the next 2 I am working on now,,, aluminum frames,, we are leaving the steel frame builder in the dust ,,,,,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	450pair.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	234371

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //