//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Fat Cat Speedo- ATC 200es HELP

--

Fat Cat Speedo- ATC 200es HELP

So Like everyone says, yes the fat cat isn't the three wheeler but I hoping someone can point me in the right direction. =)

I bought a 87 fat cat, totally stripped, and I have been slowly rebuilding it to a hunting machine! I actually got it street legal here in California, and I wanted to add a factory look with a speedometer...did some research (not enough) and saw that the ATC200 offered a hondaline speedo and that it would work on my fat cat. So I watched ebay for about a month or two and found a 1984 Honda ATC 200es Big Red Original Speedometer with Accessories, basically the complete unit, drive in all, AND impulsively bought it ........got it in the mail, really excited to install it, than realized that the drive unit spins the unit backwards....so the 1/8" drive cable if your looking at the cable end where it attaches to the speedometer head unit, spins counter clockwise.....

so my question is: is there a Head unit that requires a counter clockwise 1/8" cable ? or is it better to find a new drive unit that turns the correct Clockwise, so my head unit will work?

Any help would be a huge help, spent about 300 bucks on this unit, and dont want to relist it on ebay!!

Is there any Speedometer Guru out there that I should direct this question too?

Thanks

--
    Honda actually made a specific mounting kit for the Fatcat. Unlike the others that had the speedo head and mounting kit separate, the Fatcat had the speedo and mounting kit all in one box. As far as the cables are concerned, they are mostly all the same with the exception of the length. It is the gear box that is either a right or left side setup. I believe the fatcat uses a right side setup. These pictures are not very big but they might help. The gearboxes are mostly bike specific. They differ in right/left configurations and front tire diameters. Its not an exact science. They are meant to be within 10 percent of your actual speed. You could use another gearbox from a different ATC as long as it was a right side configuration. So you would need one from a 85-86 250r, 250sx or 350x. The fatcat uses a 24.5" tire, so any of those bikes gearboxes would be pretty close in speed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	498302496_o.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	223684   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	498302475_o.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	223685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	498302447_o.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	223686   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	498302417_o.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	223687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	498302390_o.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	223688  

--
    Not sure I follow exactly, the gear box fits perfectly, on the right side. It even has the little notch that drives the gear....it also mounts to the bottom or the back of the fork, I'm assuming that if one of the years mounts to the top, it may turn the cable the opposite direction?

--
    Even though it fits on the right side, it would probably result in the cable turning the cable in the opposite direction. When the bike is moving forward, the cable should spin clockwise.

The way it mounts up on the 200es is on the left side with the round portion facing toward the rear or the bike, so if "<" indicates the front of the bike, it looks like "<b" while looking at the wheel from the left side. If you mount it on the right, then it would look like "b>".

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //