//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicholson 500 Pro-Link

--

Nicholson 500 Pro-Link

I officially present: the Nicholson 500 Pro-Link.

ABOUT THE ORIGINAL BIKE:
    This is a Nicholson 500. Built by Nicholson Racing Products around 1984. This particular frame was personally fabricated by the owner, Nick Nicholson, for a local friend, owner of House of Buggies, Jim Bradfield. It was originally outfitted with a Big Red tank with the words “REAL BIG RED” painted on the side. It used a 1982 185S rear fender and seat. Its original configuration included the tubular “no link” Nicholson swingarm with FOX clicker shock and an 82 250R front end. A traditional Nicholson “500” exhaust header and mid pipe were fabbed up for its original configuration and topped off with a clamp on Supertrapp. It looked similar to the bike pictured below, aside from the tank. The bike pictured below belonged to Mark Weixeldorfer.

Jim Bradfield eventually sold the bike to a former Nicholson Racing Products employee, Arnie Shay. Arnie further modified the frame to accept a 1986 Honda 250R ATC swingarm, shock, and front end. Arnie fabricated a rear shock mount utilizing one of the original shock mounts for support. He also modified the pivot points of the frame to support the 250R swingarm pivot bolt and added suspension leverage. To clear the new shock mount, custom straight pipes were merged into an open megaphone. This exhaust was fabricated out of small diameter stainless tubing. Man… was it LOUD.

Last edited by manbearpig; 11-29-2015 at 02:06 AM.

--
    THE ACQUISITION:
    Fast forward to 2013. Our first Nicholson 500 acquisition (thanks to Mymint87) came with a few small issues with the frame that needed to be addressed.

Dad decided to get ahold of his old friend, Nick Nicholson to inquire about this machine he’d just picked up. Over the course of a few weeks of reconnecting, Nick sold us the NOS XR500 cases, cylinder and cylinder head that were used to make the 500 frame jigs. He also mentioned another one of these bikes that was sitting in one of his former employees’ side yard. Nick provided Arnie’s contact info and a meeting was arranged.

When we brought the bike home a number of things were apparent. The tank was ed, the exhaust was ridiculous, rear fender was cut up and faded, seat was thrashed, front fender broken, brakes didn’t work, motor didn’t run, and the suspension was blown front and rear. After sitting and staring at it for a few days, we decided the Big Red tank had to go and began fitting a few combinations of fenders and tanks together, including 250SX tank and 3rd gen R rear fender combo, but nothing clicked, until the 350X parts made their way onto the bike.

After getting the motor to fire briefly, it jumped time and bent valves. We opted to swap in a good runner we had sitting under the workbench. Got the bike running, brakes fixed, 250SX tank swapped in briefly, and fender zip tied on and took it for a spin. Everything seemed to function well enough, the motor pulled like a freight train 2nd-5th, but popped out of 1st gear. The 2014 CALVMX series was taking off at this point and focus shifted away from this project while dad and I spent the year collecting parts and racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEM44lOpYUQ
    Last edited by manbearpig; 11-18-2015 at 10:38 AM.

--
    THE RESURRECTION:
    Upon hearing the announcement that Nick Nicholson would be one of the special guests at the 2015 CALVMX Three Wheeler National, Dad and I decided to put this project in gear and get going.

After complete disassembly and inspection of all the modified components, we started on the frame. Dad and I took turns with the torch burning the old powder coat off, then media blasting the frame.

It then made its way to Nick Nicholson’s shop for a new rear shock mount as the one Arnie had made didn’t look finished or permanent.

The mount Nick made and welded in is a traditional “Nicholson” style mount. Nicholson owners will understand that one.

The frame made another trip to Nick’s shop later so that he could add the 350X tank and rear fender mounts.

--
    We had to miss the February 2015 CALVMX race to make a trip up to see Kenny Roberts near Los Angeles, CA. Kenny had the frame with the NOS XR500 cases, cylinder, and head in his shop fabricating a custom exhaust header and muffler. I had originally left a Curtis Sparks muffler with the frame with the intention of grafting that onto the header that Kenny was to create, but Kenny advised that the Sparks muffler was too small for our application and provided the proper size BIG GUN muffler for the build.

To carry on the 350X theme, I had Kenny add mounts for the 350X heat shield. New OEM hardware was used to mount the heat shield as well as the plastic heat shield garnish. Though it was difficult to cover up Kenny’s awesome fusion welds and braising, the exhaust was painted to protect it until ceramic coating in the future.

A nice tank was selected and was taken to Mark Weixeldorfer (Team Honda #51) for paint. Dad and Mark have been friends since elementary school and used to do automotive paint and body work in high school together as a side job. Dad body worked and sanded the tank and Mark made quick color work of it, spraying a nice white he’d mixed up. Tank was topped off with a new OEM gas cap as well as new OEM rubbers and mount hardware. Maier “Super Scoops” were used with new OEM mount hardware.

--
    Front end is 1986 250R ATC. Front forks were completely rebuilt by George Spinalli at Suspension 101 in Alpine, Ca. 1986 350X front wheel, and brake disk were used and a Maier white front fender made its way to the bottom of the triples. The 250R lower triple clamp was modified to accept the 350X fender. A new bearing sleeve was machined to house the new 250R Boss Bearing tapered roller bearing and to fit snugly in the neck designed for a 185S loose ball bearing race.

NOS “helmet hanger” decal was sourced, 1986 350X helmet hanger was used, very nice original OEM brake line guides were used. Brand new reproduction brake hose was used along with new OEM front brake master cylinder, NOS lever, NOS clutch and parking brake lever assembly, and correct original rubber boots were used. Painted OEM 350X bars were used with NOS grips, bar ends, and hardware. Headlight shell is currently a polished OEM unit soon to be replaced by a GREENHUMAN fiberglass shell. Motion pro made a custom throttle cable to work with the OEM 350X thumb throttle and 40mm Keihin round slide carb. New OEM 250R fork boots and a low hour spelled out OHTSU PRO VECTOR 101 mounted on an OEM 1986 350X front wheel top off the front end.

Rear end is 1986 250R ATC. Rear shock was done by Rob Selvy at BDT Motorsports. Complete rebuild with fresh powder coat on the spring and custom valving done by Rob. Swingarm was blasted and painted silver, bearings replaced, New OEM seals, O-rings, pinch bolts, brake line guides, and hardware were used to rebuild the swingarm. New, custom pivot bushings were machined. A new OEM chain slider was modified and bolted in place. Axle is stock length Durablue that has since been plated.

Carrier is modified OEM. Carrier adjuster surface was cut in half, machined flat, and polished. Adjustment holes were modified and a new tool was made to adjust the carrier.

Custom machined and polished aluminum sprocket spacer was used. Brake caliper, cable, and line are 1986 250R. Rear master is 1982 250R, since replaced with a polished master from YaegerB. Rear wheels are 1986 350X with 1986 250R spelled out OHTSU PRO VECTOR 701’s.

--
    The motor is 1979/1980 Honda XR500. Original builder unknown. The cylinder head has been flow ported and has a White Bros (Web) camshaft. It also has HD valve springs, retainers, and Barnett clutch plates and springs. The motor was taken to Keith Lynas for a refresh and to fix the 1st gear problem. A replacement transmission shaft and 1st gear were sourced and Keith got everything buttoned up. Motor was painted black and detailed with a few polished pieces. Decompression cable lubed, installed, and adjusted. A new Motion pro clutch cable was installed into the custom Nicholson bracket, and adjusted.

Wiring harness is custom built by Motowire in Vista, Ca. OEM style fittings and connectors. Lighting coil is rewound XL500 unit. Kill switch is new reproduction 1986 250R ATC.

Seat was done by Tammy Mosier at Cosmic Quads. OEM 1986 350X restoration.

Rear fender is a Mickey Dunlap low profile fiberglass 350X fender

Decals are NOS or were made by Bruce @ Blueline Decals.

here are some random pictures taken during the build:

(the elusive manbear)

Overall, this was a remarkable build for both Dad and I. This build was the catalyst that rekindled old relationships and strengthened long standing ones. There were points where I didn’t want to continue with the pace I was keeping to finish this bike on time for the national, but thanks to encouragement from family, friends, and board members, I was able to get it done. It doesn’t look too shabby, either.

This bike was an opportunity for artisans of their respective crafts to display their mechanical and visual artwork on a functional machine and for their time, work, advice, and other contributions, I am truly grateful.

THANKS TO:

DAD
    CAROL
    Nick Nicholson
    Keith Lynas
    Mark Weixeldorfer
    Kenny Roberts
    Rob Selvy
    Carlos Alouise
    Bruce Alleman
    Mickey Dunlap
    Motowire
    Greenhuman
    SDASM
    Don “Rough Rider” Russell
    Robert Mcleary
    Chris Ryser
    Doug “Andy” Anderson
    Michael Donaldson
    Jeff Randolph
    Tammy Mosier
    Arnie Shay

Heres how it sits today

--
    Great Stuff Paul!
    Keep it coming. Glad you brought this Awesome Piece of History Back!
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Pauter PJ1 / Springer "Team BAPP" Bike *

* 1980 ATC 110/180 "Danny's Machine Works" 3D Sprint Dune Bike *

* Nicholson 500 Race Bike *

* HPATC Yamaha RD350 "Big Moe" Trike *

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --
    This is such a beautiful trike. I have my Nicholson 500 torn down, this is providing some serious motivation to get it done!!

--
    you West Coast guys are killin` it lately.

I feel like I should live there.

Awesome build, trike , and thread Manbearpig....I`m thooper therial, guys

--
    Awesome build! Great piece of history! Thank you for the pictures and the story behind its build.
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    This is such a beautiful trike. I have my Nicholson 500 torn down, this is providing some serious motivation to get it done!!
    I hear ya Mike! Been trying to finish up on some Old School 90-110 projects. Seeing this is making me want to Get On The Nick 500!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nick500j&j.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	683.6 KB 
ID:	223888

We get all these things in one piece and Show Ready we'll have to have a Reunion.

--
    What a awesome read! You are to be commended on a job well done. Now how about a video of that beast running!?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by userj8670 View Post
    What a awesome read! You are to be commended on a job well done. Now how about a video of that beast running!?
    Look at the link on the bottom of Post #2.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by userj8670 View Post
    ya i suppose i should have done that in the original post. i'll dig it out of the garage and start it up here soon. Its been a while since its seen daylight. Safe to say it sounds like a low flying helicopter. thump thump thump...

--
    Beautiful buddy. That bike turned out sick!
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //