//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Battery Question

--

Battery Question

I have a Yuasa battery just got it this summer. Strange things happening when I start the 250SX.
    It wont crank over cold but after I kick it over and shut it off the battery works perfect.

I keep a battery tender on it now that its colder out and still the same thing.

So whats your take on on this ? Thanks
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

--
    Some of those batteries are cheaply made and just a bit on the weak side. I use sealed duralast gold on my bikes and trikes. Never had battery issues since. Autozone carries them for just shy of $100.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    http://antigravitybatteries.com/

This is the future and when your car won't start you can boost it with your trike

They also hold a full charge for over a year. I have two, one has sat for over 2 years and still reads over 13V on the tester, the other gets used and is amazing in a vehicle that stressed lead acid batteries. I can't say enough good about these things, but cold weather starts require heating the battery via putting a draw on it for a few minutes. Headlight will do it.

Still, I'd check you connections and starter before tossing the battery you have. A weak starter will make a good battery appear weak.

--
    I always thought Yuasa made the best motorcycle battery. The one I got weighs 2 lbs and has 60 CCA. Not much but enough to turn it over. It was made for a Ducati 350cc scrambler motor. I will keep the trickle charger on it. The cold weather just tears up these little batteries.

http://www.bikeexif.com/ducati-scrambler

btw this bike gives me a woody shwing !!
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    ok, your battery will not go from too dead to having enough charge to start your bike after it has run for 60 seconds, therefore, as El suggested you simply have a bad part or bad connection somewhere . . if i remember correctly there is a solenoid that gets sticky because the grease in it has dried up after 50 years and it will do EXACTLY what yours is and if you grease it or buy another one it fixes the problem, and i think you can check the solenoid with a volt meter when it is cold to see if that is the problem.

Also, its entirely possible that there are chinese copies of those batteries . . not to many years ago, the chinese made a copy of a very popular MSD ignition box which they still sell because there are no laws in china preventing this . . many people unknowingly bought them and many failed and contacted MSD and when they were sent in, MSD found out they were copies and put a note on their website telling people there were copies and explaining how to tell the difference.

--
    really weird. says yuasa but unfortunately most everything is made in china today. It was shipped dry and I had to drop my own acid man.ahhhh Got that at autozone. I will have to check the service manual for that part and see what the readings are supposed to be. Oddly enough this did not happen until the weather got cold. In the summer it worked perfectly so I am thinking since its not the correct battery for the 250 SX it might not have enough CCA cold cranking amps. Another oddity is that this battery was meant to turn over a 1969 Ducati 350 Scrambler. So does the Honda 250SX need more cold cranking amps to turn over the moter than a larger 350cc Ducati motor ? I have a bigger battery that was meant for this SX and I will install it and see if it has to do with the CCA. If it does the same thing with the lager battery then I am thinkin along the lines of what you said.
    And I sure hope I didnt get one of them chines knock offs like you said.......
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetip2000 View Post
    In the summer it worked perfectly so I am thinking since its not the correct battery for the 250 SX it might not have enough CCA cold cranking amps. .
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    ok, your battery will not go from too dead to having enough charge to start your bike after it has run for 60 seconds, therefore, as El suggested you simply have a bad part or bad connection somewhere . . if i remember correctly there is a solenoid that gets sticky because the grease in it has dried up after 50 years and it will do EXACTLY what yours is and if you grease it or buy another one it fixes the problem, and i think you can check the solenoid with a volt meter when it is cold to see if that is the problem.

--
    unfortunately most everything is made in china today.
    I really is and most of it (auto/moto related) are components that get returned to countries like Germany and Japan and are then placed into larger assemblies that are marked with a country of origin other than China. However in the case of Yuasa I wonder if environmental constraints aren't what's "cheapening" the product. The bonding agents and additives meant to keep plastics strong and durable in heat and UV environments are getting "greener" and in many cases crappier every year.

Some components like solar panels that are used in Europe's "green cities" require manufacturing processes that are so hazardous to the environment that China is the only place they can be made.

At the end of the day we pay more for things that need to be replaced twice as often and aren't made in Canada or the US all in the name of saving the Earth.

PS. Take your battery to a shop and get it tested. If its good check your starter & wires.

--
    Well I just swapped the battery out to one that has higher cold cranking amps and it starts up first shot so thats what the problem was. This is what baffles me. This Yuasa was made to turn over a 1969 350cc Ducati motor. A larger motor needs less cold cranking amps to turn it over. I guess the Italians are doing something right.
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

--
    Well I just swapped the battery out to one that has higher cold cranking amps and it starts up first shot so thats what the problem was. This is what baffles me. This Yuasa was made to turn over a 1969 350cc Ducati motor. A larger motor needs less cold cranking amps to turn it over. I guess the Italians are doing something right.
    QUOTE=barnett468;1390157].
    ok, your battery will not go from too dead to having enough charge to start your bike after it has run for 60 seconds, therefore, as El suggested you simply have a bad part or bad connection somewhere . . if i remember correctly there is a solenoid that gets sticky because the grease in it has dried up after 50 years and it will do EXACTLY what yours is and if you grease it or buy another one it fixes the problem, and i think you can check the solenoid with a volt meter when it is cold to see if that is the problem.[/quote]

--
    I've never had good results from batteries that you have to add the acid and charge before using
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    Not every engine uses the same starter gear ratios. With the right gear ratio you could turn a car engine with that battery, just not fast enough to start it.

honda4h is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    i had the issue on a big red good new battery rolled over good and strong but no start not a sputter. but kick it start right away. shut it off try the e-start same thing no start. kick it bang starts up. i tried every thing on the dam bike i had every extra part for it swapped out every thing but the stator. a part i was for sure was not a issue. i sold it that way angry at it. it was the first bike i ever had that problem . out of 26 250 big reds and sx i have owned over the years.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by honda4h View Post
    i had the issue on a big red good new battery rolled over good and strong but no start not a sputter. but kick it start right away. shut it off try the e-start same thing no start. kick it bang starts up. i tried every thing on the dam bike i had every extra part for it swapped out every thing but the stator. a part i was for sure was not a issue. i sold it that way angry at it. it was the first bike i ever had that problem . out of 26 250 big reds and sx i have owned over the years.
    its easy to fix, all you do is clean all the wire ends then check every switch with a tester then start bypassing every one until you find the bad link.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //