//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gear shift question

--

Gear shift question

I have a 84 ATC 200 M and correct me if I'm wrong but this gear shift seems to have probably at least an 1 1/2 play (up and down) in it from neutral to first gear. I'm guessing it shouldn't have that much????

--
    Is that free play without it going into gear or does it move that much when you shift?

--
    Thsts without it going into gear. Not sure about when shifting as I have only rode it a couple of times since I bought it a few months ago. Been waiting on parts. I'll ride it tomorrow and really pay attention to the shifting.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    is that 1 1/2 inches up and 1 1/2 inches down from the center position for a total of 3 inches until it is in gear and the shifter will not move any more?

--
    Adjust your clutch first and that will give you the least amount of play and yes a few inches up and down are needed to shift these motors .
    clutch adj procedure ,,,,, Center screw counter clockwise until you feel resistance and then back clockwise 1/4 turn , lock the 14mm nut down .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    is that 1 1/2 inches up and 1 1/2 inches down from the center position for a total of 3 inches until it is in gear and the shifter will not move any more?
    That would be about an 1 1/2 on the upshift. If its just sitting there the weight of the shift lever weighs it down then every time you shift up there's about an inch an 1 1/2 play.

--
    "and yes a few inches up and down are needed to shift these motors "

I understand but when I go to upshift..you almost can't rotate your foot that high without it being uncomfortable. There is no way the play in mine would be "factory " setting because someone with a small foot couldn't shift without lifting their heel off the footpeg. I will look into adjusting the clutch. Thanks for that info storyline.
    Last edited by dwil4; 11-28-2015 at 09:10 AM.

--
    Any more thoughts as to why this may be??

--
    Check to make sure it's the stock shifter. If someone put a longer lever on it would cause your problem.

--
    It didn't have one so I actually got a new one and out on it.

--
    How does it actually shift when driving? Sounds like the clutch is out of adjustment like Shortline said.
    The shifter will be sloppy and it'll shift very rough and jerk if the adjustment is wrong.
    Rides:
    1985 250sx
    1982 ATC185s
    1984 200es

Always Hoping For a Maritime Trikefest- http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...s-where-you-at

"Wear Limits Are Just A Suggestion"

--
    I have ridden it only 2 or 3 times since I bought it but now that u mention it, it is a little rough at times. Guess I will check`into the clutch but I am not exactly sure where to start. Guess ill do some researching unless someone can hold my hand on this. lol

--
    Shortline explained how to adjust it above^.
    Should be a screw with a locknut on the clutch cover (right side of the motor), loosen the locknut and back the screw out until you feel resistance. Basically it'll just stop dead, you could force it out more but don't do that. Turn the screw in 1/4 for "slack", hold the screw in place and tighten the locknut.
    Rides:
    1985 250sx
    1982 ATC185s
    1984 200es

Always Hoping For a Maritime Trikefest- http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...s-where-you-at

"Wear Limits Are Just A Suggestion"

--
    Duh...My bad. Thanks man. This is the 1st trike I've owned so all this is new to me. Thanks to all of U who replied. I will adjust and reply back with results.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by dwil4 View Post
    Duh...My bad. Thanks man. This is the 1st trike I've owned so all this is new to me. Thanks to all of U who replied. I will adjust and reply back with results.
    xlnt, and these are great things to learn on . . you can also get a free online manual from the link below . . just click on the highlighted manual you need in the column on the right.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHOCK AND FORK REBUILDING AND UPGRADES

For anything from a simple oil change to complete rebuilding or revalving of your original shock or forks, Race Tec Suspension can do it all at very competitive prices . . Their labor cost to clean and rebuild most shocks is only $100.00.

They are one of the biggest and best suspension rebuilding and modification companies in the world, and . . Their turn around time is usually less than 1 week, so why take chances with anyone else whom may have far less knowledge and experience, and whom may also take up to 6 weeks or more to return your parts . . They are also the inventors of the very popular Gold Valve Emulators, so no one knows how to tune this system better then they do.

Phone 951-279-6655

http://www.racetech.com/

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //