//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Flywheel identification please.

--

Flywheel identification please.

I took this in as a core from another member knowing it was not a Tecate flywheel. Previous owner had purchase from USA (ebay?) and it won't fit over the coils due to the thickness of the steel housing.
    In addition, timing mark is off from stock Kawasaki Tecate + differently marked (single line only)
    Plus, the magnets are in oppositely then the OEM Tecate flywheels (basically 180 degree off from T-3/T-4)
    I am positive this is a Kawasaki product but have also searched under Polaris watercraft as well as Kawasaki water craft.
    I know of a lot of machines it is NOT off of,,, I do not know what it is off of and that is what I would like to know if possible.
    The magnets are exactly what is used on tecate flywheels so those alone are very valuable too me in my Tecate flywheel exchange program. BUT it would be just a crying shame IMO to miss a opportunity to offer the same service for what ever this flywheel was originally designed for.
    So anyone got/heard/had any experience with this particular part ???

Thanks, john
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg  

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    My initial guess is 1986 thru 1988 KDX200 . . The had the keyway in a different location from the Tecate and the exterior appearance with the 3 holes for the puller is the same and it used 4 separate magnets . . I can check it out a bit more in a couple hours if you don't get an answer by then.

Happy Thanksgiving

--
    Like Barnett said. It looks like an aircooled 86-88 KDX200 flywheel.

--
    Thanks guys ! It appears that is correct info from a brief google search for those years and model.
    A whole lot of bitching about the magnets coming unglued just like there was on the Tecates. Those particular years also fits into my thoughts of when Kawasaki still had their head up their tailpipe about glued in magnets.
    It appears Ricky Stator only offers a replacement source coil. No flywheel or complete stator assembly. One other guy takes in the steel housing and reworks them too produce a ricky stator look alike (and sounded rather pricey I might add).
    Going to do some more looking around about these over the next couple of days.
    This may lead to me having a 2nd. source for the rare earth magnets or joining a couple of KDX sites,,,, or both.
    Thank you Barnett, BKM !

john

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by jeswinehart View Post
    Thanks guys ! It appears that is correct info from a brief google search for those years and model.
    No prob, hope it works out, plus as far as I know, you are one of the few people rescuing the Tecate flywheels which I think is great.

It's sad to have any bike benched because of a part that is no longer available . . At least the Honda guys can run $5.00 Chinese CDI's if theirs hurl, and they are cheap enough that they can afford to buy a spare and carry it with them.

A whole lot of bitching about the magnets coming unglued just like there was on the Tecates. Those particular years also fits into my thoughts of when Kawasaki still had their head up their tailpipe about glued in magnets.
    I'm glad that I can at least say that the Tecate flywheel was not my design.

I can also say that the KX250, which vibrated LESS than the Tecate, had screws in the magnets, and I have no idea why they did what they did with the Tecate one.

I took this in as a core from another member knowing it was not a Tecate flywheel. Previous owner had purchase from USA (ebay?) and it won't fit over the coils due to the thickness of the steel housing.
    I'm not sure what you mean here but if the KDX magnets are the same thickness as the Tecate ones, but the id of the KDX flywheel is smaller, which will obviously cause the id of the magnet area to be smaller, the back of the magnet will not fit perfectly flush on the id of the Tecate flywheel, and if you re-arc the back of the magnet, it will be farther away from the coils which may or may not create a little less current.

Also, in case you didn't know, the KDX also used a different stator plate than the Tecate.

--
    Very similar to LT 250R and 500R,,, they shook the rivets loose and failed. Updated ones are pirrty like yours. Happy Thanksgiving .
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--

hmmmm,,,,

I must have misunderstood my guy. The insert I use for Tecate flywheels fits inside okay, just as tight and no looser then normal.
    Crank end measurements are near enough it should fit on.
    I can darn sure guarantee it will NOT start any Tecate with timing and magnets that far off. Trike would certainly get spark,,,, just at the wrong time. Interesting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.jpg   2.jpg   1.jpg  

--
    I have an '88 KDX200 downstairs. Would you like me to check for numbers or marks? I'd be happy to pull the cover off.
    Never mind- just pulled the cover off. Mine says "FP5119" and also "4192" so one of the numbers matches at least. I wouldn't mind popping the rotor off if you really needed me to for a measurement. I have pullers, and its really no problem. Let me know.
    Last edited by YTZ drew; 11-27-2015 at 10:53 AM.
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1985 ATC250R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by YTZ drew View Post
    I have an '88 KDX200 downstairs. Would you like me to check for numbers or marks? I'd be happy to pull the cover off.
    Never mind- just pulled the cover off. Mine says "FP5119" and also "4192" so one of the numbers matches at least. I wouldn't mind popping the rotor off if you really needed me to for a measurement. I have pullers, and its really no problem. Let me know.
    Drew if you don't mind pulling your fly wheel as a comparision + snapping off a couple of pictures,,, that would be like awesome. I am now 99.9% sure it is what it is,,, 200 KDX.
    I found and joined a site called KDXRIDER.net and introduced myself. Appears there is a slight waiting period before I can do any picture posting there but they all the reading I was looking for ( a lot like this place )

Thank you Drew, john

--
    OK, got the rotor off. Glad it popped off easily, these are apparently rare. I actually have been meaning to tear into this thing due to high revs at startup and excessive smoke, leading me to believe the right crank seal is gone. The picture with the paperclip is showing the keyway in relation to the timing marks. The keyway is at 12 o'clock. The front image has a pencil pointing at the timing marks. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151127_190504711.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	224286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151127_185840195.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	224287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151127_190233435.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	224291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151127_191957223.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	224293
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1985 ATC250R

--
    THANKS ! I wonder why the different colored glue,,,
    Yes, rare and basically irreplaceable from what I am reading.
    If the oem one is still available (sounds like it was a couple of years ago from talk I read on a KDX forum) it is way out there in price.
    Ricky Stator don't offer a flywheel. I did come across a link to a fella who re works them and they come back with a steel ring inside + new magnets.
    May I practice my encapsulation procedure on yours at no charge ??? (please)

--
    If those magnets are as smooth as glass on the backside, this is one potential contributor to them coming unglued because the glue doesn't have much of anything to bite into. plus when the magnet is pressed into place, all but an extremely thin and fairly useless layer of glue would be left.

--
    POST CORRECTION

If the magnets or the flywheel surface is as smooth as glass...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //