//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 350x seized engine diagnostics

dman10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

350x seized engine diagnostics

So, a few months ago I picked up a 86' 350X. Low hours, 90% original, don't think its been abused a day in its life. I picked it up cheap due to a locked up engine. The PO said he bought it like that and never got around to looking at it and had no clue what happened.
    Anyways,
    I bought it as a winter project and its bout that time of year. So im wondering, how should I begin diagnosing it? Pull the clutch cover and looking for a grenaded engine? What? I don't know squat about these monsters.
    Thanks,
    Daniel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 350x1.jpg   350x2.jpg  
    Quote Originally Posted by tri again View Post
    Cool stuff seems to happen when I'm sleeping.
    Nice to know things happen without me.

--
    looks nice, was that a local trike?
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I'd start at the top and work my way down. Pulling the head and looking in the cylinder can tell you a lot. It'll all have to come apart if it's the bottom end anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

dman10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondatcs View Post
    looks nice, was that a local trike?
    It was down in San Antonio. he was selling it with a really nice 85' which I couldn't afford. He still had the other for sale last time I checked.

I'd start at the top and work my way down. Pulling the head and looking in the cylinder can tell you a lot. It'll all have to come apart if it's the bottom end anyway.
    That's kinda what I figured, really didn't want to pull the engine till I had to. They're heavy. I know that much.

--
    Was the guys name Ernie.
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

My Feedback Link!

--
    Yeah I'm in the process of a rebuild and just like Scootertrash stated, I pulled the engine and started from the top down.
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

My Feedback Link!

--
    Before you pull it apart-pull the sparkplug and squirt some penetrate in the cylinder & let it soak a few days.
    The piston rings sometimes stick to the cylinder (slight rust from moisture) after sitting MANY years. It may/may not work but well worth a try. Make sure theres oil in the crankcase also. It looks like low hrs. on it so it might be just that.
    Previously Owned:
    1985 ATC 250R (261cc)- 38MM PWK QV/AS, VFORCE3, RPM TIMING ADV., FULL DG EXH, CLARKE WHITE TANK, DOUGLAS RED LABELS, PRM NERF BARS, + ALUM. PARTS
    1983 ATC 185S (186cc)- HI COMP., BASSANI HEADER, REAR DISC BRAKE CONV., '86 200X HUBS, ALUM. RIMS, DIRT DEVILS
    1982 ATC 185S (224cc)- PK WELD-ON KIT, PK CLAMPS, PK EXHAUST, SL90 SHOCKS, OIL COOLER, PCCC RIMS
    1981 ATC 185S
    1984 ATC 250R
    1981 ATC 250R
    1983 ATC 110
    1969 HONDA MINI TRAIL 50

TRIKELESS

--
    yeah, his name was ernie.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 3wheelrider View Post
    Before you pull it apart-pull the sparkplug and squirt some penetrate in the cylinder & let it soak a few days.
    The piston rings sometimes stick to the cylinder (slight rust from moisture) after sitting MANY years. It may/may not work but well worth a try. Make sure theres oil in the crankcase also. It looks like low hrs. on it so it might be just that.
    Ok, Ill give it a shot, and yes, there was oil in the crankcase till I drained.

--
    same 350x?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1986 350X not running 003.jpg  
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

My Feedback Link!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 3wheelrider View Post
    X 2 with the penetrating get oil.

80% of all seized motors I freed up I did this way. That's what's up

--
    Just fill it with pblaster? and will I need to clean it out before I run the engine? If so how?

--
    If the piston rings rusted to the cylinder, you will want to hone and re ring at the least. If you just free it up and run it, it will more then likely smoke. If not right away, eventually.

I would do the pb blaster to get it free, then pull the top end to make it fresh again.
    My feedback: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-ATC-Eric

Survivor! TF: 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13 Sandpuppies: 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18 Imperial Invasion 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

Everything Big Bore on FaceBook

--
    Oil filter put in wrong and starved top end?

--
    After the penetrant has done its thing don't try and free it with the starter, put it in gear and rock it back and forth first.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //