//ArrowChat Code

Thread: title and decal in Arizona

ATCT is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --

title and decal in Arizona

So I've been reading through all I can find about this. Just wanted to clarify a few things.

I'm not going to be driving this on the streets, so I need to get a title plate and an OHV decal (need to renew each year) in order to operate it here, correct?

This ATC has never had a title, so what do I need to title it? Do I need an actual bill of sale or can I just go in with a receipt (private seller; Paypal) and the OHV decal application and get it. I'm not finding a specific title form for an OHV, so I assume I use the standard title form?

Thanks for the help.
    1984 Honda ATC250R

--
    dohcbikes can give you solid info if you pm him, hes in your state
    Suzuki ALT 50: Skeeter
    Suzuki ALT 50: full suspension kit: the grasshopper
    Suzuki ALT 125: The Toad
    Suzuki ALT 160: Was a Quad runner 160: The Tri-Runner
    Suzuki ALT 185: The Warthog
    1979 Subaru brat: daily driver almost 400k runs strong

NEED ALT 50 SEAT PAN

--
    Thanks, appreciate it.
    1984 Honda ATC250R

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiirider View Post
    dohcbikes can give you solid info if you pm him, hes in your state
    He is no longer a resident of Arizona. He may still have information on getting a title though.

You will only need an off road plate and decal. As far as getting a title I have heard of having multiple bill of sales and working with third party MVD. The other option is a bonded title, call around to third party MVD's.

--
    I think I get the plate with the title, no? At least that was my understanding.

Yeah, I heard about multiple bill of sales as well. Seeing as they need to be notarized, unless I spread this out over a year, I'd say it'd look pretty suspicious. What a stupid, stupid system.

I'm thinking I'll end up doing the 3rd party or bonded title route.
    1984 Honda ATC250R

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ATCT View Post
    I think I get the plate with the title, no? At least that was my understanding.

Yeah, I heard about multiple bill of sales as well. Seeing as they need to be notarized, unless I spread this out over a year, I'd say it'd look pretty suspicious. What a stupid, stupid system.

I'm thinking I'll end up doing the 3rd party or bonded title route.
    Correct, when you get the title you get the plate and decal. They will also ask if you want to make it street legal!!

Yes been dealing with this stupid system for a couple years now, most of these old machines did not come with titles.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Correct, when you get the title you get the plate and decal. They will also ask if you want to make it street legal!!

Yes been dealing with this stupid system for a couple years now, most of these old machines did not come with titles.
    That's crazy seeing as these machines are "dangerous"!! (re: street legal) Haha.

I've not done the 3rd party MVD thing before. Will one do the inspection and get the bond for me? Last time I did this for an auto, I went to one guy for the inspection, then to the MVD to get the bond amount, then to a bond guy to get the bond. Then back to the MVD. Not exactly the quickest route.
    1984 Honda ATC250R

--
    Yes, the process is a pain in the butt. I bought a TRX 250R out of state a few years ago and got no title or bill of sale--I didn't know the process then. First, I had to try and track down the original owner--no luck. Second, I had to send the guy I bought it from a letter for him to affirm it wasn't stolen, and he had to get it notarized. Third, I had to spend $100 bucks on a bond. Let's not forget the multiple times waiting in line at the MVD. What a pain. I have a few other old machines I would like to get plates for but the process is such a pain I haven't gotten around to it.

--
    Yep, I'll be doing the bonded title on Monday. Apparently, there are a few 3rd party MVD locations that do it, so hopefully there are no lines. Guess we'll see.
    1984 Honda ATC250R

--
    Ive done this a few times. A their party charges you for the inspection and paperwork so figure the added cost. I go in with the trike and have it inspected. If it comes back clean you go inside and fill out a affirmative on where you got the trike. Now here's the trick If the trikes never been titled the dmv will tell you the vin is not in the records. Put down that you bought the trike at the swap meet. Arizona is a title only state, a boil of Sal is meaningless. If you mention you got a bill of sale tbey will want you to send a letter to the person you bought it from! Just say it was a cash sale at a swap meet and they cant find tell you where to send the letter to.
    So the dmv will give you a bond amount, I think mom pierce insurance has the lowest minimum for $50 bring the bond back to dmv and they issue you a title then you can get a ohv sticker.
    Ive done this with two 250r's a big red, and my unfortunate 350x that turned out to be stolen in 1987. But I did get it back after going to court a year later. Good luck jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

Marty is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Get 2 of your friends to give you 2 bills of sale and have them notarized! And 1 major hurdle is bike has to be at least 10 years from day it will be registered!
    And after you get your 2 bills of sale notarized from your friends please do your transaction at a 3rd party DMV!!!!

Marty is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    And please do not take bike with you and if you do have VIN number checked by local and federal agencies to make sure bike has not been reported stolen.
    And another thing DMV holds information in their system for 10 years and DPS in Az hold onto their records for 8 years so good luck.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //