//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1984 XR200 project

--

1984 XR200 project

Another one followed me home today. My daughter is claiming this one.

Black paint job that I'm working on removing. Pulled the engine today to start a top end rebuild. Lot of metal shavings in the case. I flushed it out, but I believe I need to split the case to get it all out.

I believe some of the metal came from this.

Any idea what is causing the clutch basket to contact the gear teeth?

I told my daughter I would paint the bike any color she wanted and she picked a blue/white color scheme. But after wiping the tank with a fuel soaked rag this is what I found.

This tank is dent free and imaculent inside. I just can't make myself repaint it. So now I've got to try to convince her that original Honda color scheme would look better.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

--
    Halfway done with the tank. Why can't I find trike tanks like this.

--
    Wow, that looks great. I didn't think that would come out that nice.
    1984 atc70
    1985 atc70
    1985 Atc200s
    1986 atc125m
    1986 atc250r
    1986 atc350x
    1987 atc250es

--
    Surprised me too. The frame and rear springs look just as good where I've cleaned the black paint off.

Might turn out to be a looker when we're done.

--
    why do people spray paint tanks that are that nice

--
    Nice score! The XR200 of that period was a great bike. Somewhere after 88 or so Honda lowered the suspension and made it more of a playbike. I have a 79 XR185 which is almost identical to yours. Its a great bike to plonk around on in the trails, and its stone reliable.
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1985 ATC250R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    why do people spray paint tanks that are that nice
    The previous owner looked to be in his late teens early twenties. He said he was about to paint some pink on it before it lost compression. Wanted it to look "different".

Judging by the groove the timing chain had worn it must have been making some crazy noise. Luckily it was still in time. The head and piston looked ok. Still going to bore cylinder and install new piston, rings, timing chain, and guides.

--
    Your working on building a sweet fleet of nice bikes bud!!! That tank looks nice.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    That's going to be a nice bike when you get it done! Not many of those tanks look like that anymore! I've got a beautiful 82 xl250r that's going to be up for sale before long....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by e5earley View Post
    ... I told my daughter I would paint the bike any color she wanted and she picked a blue/white color scheme. But after wiping the tank with a fuel soaked rag this is what I found.
    ... This tank is dent free and imaculent inside. I just can't make myself repaint it. So now I've got to try to convince her that original Honda color scheme would look better.
    Doesn't make a lick of sense, does it?

In the mid 90s I bought a CB400F (77 I think) with blue on it. I was able to clean it off with the crappy new eco friendly paint stripper you have to buy these days.
    Underneath was nice original blue paint and stickers on both the tank and side covers. Undamaged by the paint stripper BTW.
    They had a few scratches, but WTF? Still too nice to cover with Krylon.

That bike was a jewel.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //